Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Animation Thread

This was a great little pilot, for what became the more sitcommy "Looney Tunes Show." I don't think the character of Tina Russo stuck after The Looney Tunes Show. She might have stuck better as Marisol Mallard, the pink-haired version seen here (and in one theme park). Think of her as the adult equivalent to Shirley the Loon.

https://youtu.be/CCdumprFRMY?t=59
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Lot of Mother Goose and Grimm, and Raw Toonage.
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnp2210/videos
filmfan94

A rather interesting video on the history of The Black Cauldron’s production and the deleted scenes turned up online very recently. What makes this video particularly interesting is that the uploader somehow managed to get an entire set of the storyboards made for the film (some of which I can only suppose were not among the sets that were up for auction that Dennis discovered). While he does miss a few of the observations Dennis made, it’s actually rather in-depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIuK4OZCWbU
Dennis196492

I did acquire the storyboards through a fan and even paid some money to have them fully scanned for a future video, which sadly is still yet to happen because of other appointments.

I'm analyzing the video and skipped to the part with the deleted scenes and these are my notes:
- The prologue in the storyboards is an earlier version that bears little resemblance to the one in the final film, it does start with the Cauldron in the mist, but the narration differs and the scene of the horned king burning a village was probably cut early on.
- Sequence 06.1 was moved to after Sequence 001 before Katzenberg's involvement, as the scene was drastically re-scored and recontextualized fundamentally.
- Amelia Jones actually found and linked to me a brief promotional workprint that includes one of the jumpcuts during the Hen Wen chase scene, it's only a few frames, sadly not involving Taran getting smacked in the face - I can already see that this guy clearly watched my video on the subject and is drawing from my (wrong) conclusions.
- when analyzing the storyboards, it's hard to tell what was cut and what was kept when it reached the finished stage, I'm fairly certain that a lot of streamlining was done (as it's common) to get rid of bits that might end up coming off as redundant such as the whole "tree branch" and "taran accidentally knocking over a bunch of objects" - which is why I need the Shooting Schedule, a more vital document to determining what the deleted scenes were than the storyboards.
- A lot of my especulation around the deleted scenes were based on the allegation that Taran did murder the guards with his sword, so I wasn't too surprised when there was nothing in the storyboards.
- It's interesting that in the video the storyboards presented are from a batch that reflect the entire film, my batch is a half of a full batch in which my end was benefited from having A LOT of alternate sequences, including at least 4 entirely different versions of the Alternate Fairfolk scene, with the one resembling the final film being omitted, which makes me wonder if the one in this video is the other half of the same batch.
- Sequence 007 is also missing from my batch, an earlier version boarded by Roy Morita did make it, but the second half of the sequence, now 07.1, is in there.
- The Cauldron Born scene is one instance where I can guarantee you that the storyboards do not match an "uncut" version of the film in any possible way, there are scrapped boards that show the sequence playing slightly different but you can't be certain since the characters in the storyboards don't match the ones on-screen.

The video I was going to make was supposed to disappoint people and debunk many of the myths surrounding these cutscenes, of which I was led on to believe and dedicate quite a bit of time and money to investigate, I'm glad a video was made in an accessible format, rather than my crummy dry technical format that sadly did nothing but give some "people" the means to present their trite content, I have a completely different take/analysis of the storyboards though, so a video of my own is still on my list - and that doesn't include the many many alternate sequences.
filmfan94

Very interesting, Dennis. In the video, I did notice that the guy cited some deleted moments involving Fflewddur (such as the full ballad after the first escape from the castle) as Katzenberg mandates, but I have to imagine at least most of those bits were deleted before the film went into animation. There was one moment the guy brought up that I do wish had made it into the film involving Taran looking at his reflection in a pool after his argument with Eilonwy recalling the earlier scene in the film before he loses Hen Wen that seems clearly inspired by a passage near the end of the fourth book in the series (Taran Wanderer).
Dennis196492

He's looking too deep into the storyboards, my version only has that shot of Taran looking at his reflection in the water scrubbed in blue along with Fflewddur's ballad at the start, which probably cut or revision. Not to mention the version I have is not the version I included in my videos, which features a short little scene of Gurgi explaining his side of the story to Eilonwy after meeting her before Taran goes "Well, what are you waiting for?", that's an entirely different version.

The comic adaptation, of which he refers to a lot, seems to be made from the storyboards rather than an actual extended cut of the film, I've noticed that a lot of the art there is referenced directly from the storyboards/promotional material. It's funny that it seems like the spirit of the uncut version was there from the start.

Another neat bit of research is the Original Recording Sections album, the youtube version cut the slating where they would list the cues and the take, some of which downright stating that they were revised for a cut down version.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

My restoration of "Backstage at Disney 1983" turns up here, unsurprisingly. BTW there's an old episode of "Night Flight" on "Night Flight Plus" where they briefly interview Phil Nibbelink as he's working on The Black Cauldron. Maybe I should put that up somewhere.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin