Marina and the Diamonds (Ft. Electra Heart)

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Marina and the Diamonds (Ft. Electra Heart)

I like it when the meme troll Marina of 10+ years ago still comes out ...
https://twitter.com/MarinaDiamandis/sta ... 5703185409
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Marina and the Diamonds (Ft. Electra Heart)

The artist formerly known as Marina and the Diamonds is back. "Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land" is a devastating breakup album, and an equally devastating political album. And imagine being the poor sap that the break-up songs are about. Clean Bandit found dead in a ditch.

Her fifth album is solid and confident, with more complex lyrics than on "Love & Fear." Lyrically it feels like the more talkative Marina we first met in "The Family Jewels." It gets personal, and has that telltale sign (and shortcoming) of Marina's writing - a simple ABAB couplet rhyming structure.

On the "Love & Fear" album she was often writing lyrics to existing melodies, which led to much less wordy lyrical structures which lacked her unique personality. She has described that album as "slick" and this one as "raw and wild." I don't know if I'd go that far, but it doesn't make "Love & Fear's" mistakes.

The entire album feels like a threat, and I respect that. Like most threats it feels a little short, and like there's not much to it, but what is there is thought provoking and will get your attention.

In "Purge the Poison" she takes the point of view of Mother Earth - a literal goddess - watching capitalism and humanity destroy the world and itself. "New America" looks for a new dawn for America, where it must confront its racist past and present to have a future.

I don't know if it's her best or most arresting work, but the album at least makes a strong case for itself. It's a confident assertion of who she is, a show of strength and what she's capable of, and an ominous warning to the world (and to America in particular) about what will happen if we don't change our ways.

And the match cuts in this Quentin Tarantino homage are to die for.