Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

OldBenKenobi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:29 pm The Little Shop Archive is at it again! :D

I'd love to have a chat with the proprieter of this channel; they post some amazing stuff. Would be fun to collaborate on some stuff sometime.
The channel owner is Joss Hoskinson, who has an account here as JustinHoskie.
sonicbeta3

Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

ashmanfanboy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:42 pm
sonicbeta3 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:36 am Hey guys, someone uploaded the first and final drafts of the film to the archive. Also, John Smith finally did it.
https://archive.org/details/little-shop ... ast-drafts
https://archive.org/details/little-shop ... y-aug-1986
That first draft is WILD, in case no one has read it yet. Lots of callbacks to the original 1960 film and it differs significantly from the February '85 draft that was floating around.

One cool tidbit we can gleam from it: finally canonically nailing down LSoH's year to 1963.

First let me say that the Unpredicted
Eclipse Commission has conducted an
exhaustive investigation. And it is with
great...er...relief...that I report their
findings to you now. Gentlemen, the total
eclipse which occurred on Friday,
September 13th
did not, in fact, occur at
all.

Will refrain from commenting further for sake of spoilers.
Say, is the one you have the same as these ones?
ashmanfanboy

sonicbeta3 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 pm Say, is the one you have the same as these ones?
Yes. Only mine lacks the re-shoot material.

This is what I believe "SCENE MISSING" in the workprint version of "Some Fun Now" might be referring to:

38D. INT. BASEMENT . SAME NIGHT..

(SLOW MOTION SHOT) ECU of a
single droplet of blood fall-
ing very slowly -— its mass
undulating as it descends
until it impacts and breaks
into a ring of tiny globs.
CAMERA PUSHES into the ring
until red fills the screen and
it dissolves to:

38E. EXT. SHOP. DAY.

In the theatrical cut it's just one last shot of the girls.

Other than that, an alternate DFTP sequence and some artifacts from previous drafts (Audrey II emitting light, more from the Skid Row denizens) it tracks pretty consistently with what was shot.
sonicbeta3

\Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

ashmanfanboy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:49 am
sonicbeta3 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 pm Say, is the one you have the same as these ones?
Yes. Only mine lacks the re-shoot material.

This is what I believe "SCENE MISSING" in the workprint version of "Some Fun Now" might be referring to:

38D. INT. BASEMENT . SAME NIGHT..

(SLOW MOTION SHOT) ECU of a
single droplet of blood fall-
ing very slowly -— its mass
undulating as it descends
until it impacts and breaks
into a ring of tiny globs.
CAMERA PUSHES into the ring
until red fills the screen and
it dissolves to:

38E. EXT. SHOP. DAY.

In the theatrical cut it's just one last shot of the girls.

Other than that, an alternate DFTP sequence and some artifacts from previous drafts (Audrey II emitting light, more from the Skid Row denizens) it tracks pretty consistently with what was shot.
You got anything else with you (concept art, storyboards, or even another script)?
Jbraga97

sonicbeta3 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:31 am Don’t worry, I that out for myself. Also, there’s this I found on Heritage Auctions.
https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art ... ion-071515
Wtf this is so cool I need to see all of these
ashmanfanboy

The Little Shop Archive has released yet ANOTHER hitherto unheard demo: Bad Like Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTfb72h6rMY

Very 80's metal... the bit in the middle sounds repurposed from "The Day That It Started." Guessing the Beatles harmonizing in Mean Green Mother originated here.
OldBenKenobi

Love it! You can feel the fact it either came between Bad and Mean Green Mother, or fed into both of them. I always thought Bad had the most fun lyrics (although "Keep the Creature, they don't mean shit!" has always made me chuckle), but I think Mean Green had the best chorus. Bad Like Me's chorus is weaker than the other two, but it's a damn good song. All three deserve a place in the pantheon of Ashman/Menken classics.

I can see why they ultimately did Mean Green Mother for the film, I think that was the best fit for what the movie was trying to be, but all three songs are just so good.
ashmanfanboy

2023 has been such a phenomenal year for Little Shop drops that there might actually not be that much left!

Outstanding Demos (may or may not actually exist):
Thundercrash ('83 first draft, "Ya Never Know/Some Fun Now" stand-in)
Some Fun Now ('85 revised draft prototype ("Seymour the shnook...")
Del Monte's Salute to Vegetables
Your Day Begins Tonight (no idea what this was)

I honestly never expected to see lyrics, let alone hear a demo for "Bad Like Me." Fingers crossed on the rest.
OldBenKenobi

If there's more to come, my one holy grail wish would be for All Gone (aka "The Day That It Started").

But yeah, similarly I didn't expect to even see lyrics for Bad Like Me. I'd even assumed it was just a lyric sketch, with no actual music... Amazing to hear it as a fully-produced (and damn awesome) song.
OldBenKenobi

Hi folks.

Wanted to give a quick little progress update on my edit/restoration (/reconstruction/remaster?). I haven't done much, but I've created a proper to-do list, and just now I carried out one change: I've amended the credits to reflect Bill Mitchell's narration. Additionally, while the theatrical cut credited Stanley Jones as the "Narrator," every draft I've seen of the script refers to this as "A voice not unlike God's," which is also how the stage version's book describes it, so I went with that for Bill Mitchell's more epic voiceover. Plus I found it amusing. None of the workprints have any credits running over them, so I have no qualms with taking this slight liberty.

As a fun sidenote, while the stageplay just says "a voice not unlike God's" in its directions, the first draft screenplay actually describes the narrator as "a voice not unlike God's (or Charlton Heston's)," and the shooting script describes "a voice not unlike God's (or Orson Welles')."

Another tidbit: The Little Shop of Horrors credits font (or at least its closest digital equivalent) is Dom Casual LT (bold). Although you need to tweak the character sizing and spacing to get it to match precisely. Do with this knowledge as you will.