Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

A forum for creative people.
sonicbeta3

Re: Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

OldBenKenobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:22 pm Hi folks.

Wanted to give a quick little progress update on my edit/restoration (/reconstruction/remaster?). I haven't done much, but I've created a proper to-do list, and just now I carried out one change: I've amended the credits to reflect Bill Mitchell's narration. Additionally, while the theatrical cut credited Stanley Jones as the "Narrator," every draft I've seen of the script refers to this as "A voice not unlike God's," which is also how the stage version's book describes it, so I went with that for Bill Mitchell's more epic voiceover. Plus I found it amusing. None of the workprints have any credits running over them, so I have no qualms with taking this slight liberty.

As a fun sidenote, while the stageplay just says "a voice not unlike God's" in its directions, the first draft screenplay actually describes the narrator as "a voice not unlike God's (or Charlton Heston's)," and the shooting script describes "a voice not unlike God's (or Orson Welles')."

Another tidbit: The Little Shop of Horrors credits font (or at least its closest digital equivalent) is Dom Casual LT (bold). Although you need to tweak the character sizing and spacing to get it to match precisely. Do with this knowledge as you will.
Excuse me, I just found another shot that was in the finished film. https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 226d8bd88e&
ashmanfanboy

OldBenKenobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:22 pm Hi folks.

Wanted to give a quick little progress update on my edit/restoration (/reconstruction/remaster?). I haven't done much, but I've created a proper to-do list, and just now I carried out one change: I've amended the credits to reflect Bill Mitchell's narration. Additionally, while the theatrical cut credited Stanley Jones as the "Narrator," every draft I've seen of the script refers to this as "A voice not unlike God's," which is also how the stage version's book describes it, so I went with that for Bill Mitchell's more epic voiceover. Plus I found it amusing. None of the workprints have any credits running over them, so I have no qualms with taking this slight liberty.
That is a NICE touch!
As a fun sidenote, while the stageplay just says "a voice not unlike God's" in its directions, the first draft screenplay actually describes the narrator as "a voice not unlike God's (or Charlton Heston's)," and the shooting script describes "a voice not unlike God's (or Orson Welles')."
It's interesting that both of them were still kicking in 1985 (Heston even went on to do similar cameos a decade later for Disney's Hercules and Armageddon). I wonder if either were actually offered the part? Vincent Price was an option as well and any of them would have provided a nice link to old Hollywood.

Have you read the first draft btw? Ashman went wild. I'm glad Oz brought it "back to the shop", but that was quite an ambitious script!
OldBenKenobi

ashmanfanboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm It's interesting that both of them were still kicking in 1985 (Heston even went on to do similar cameos a decade later for Disney's Hercules and Armageddon). I wonder if either were actually offered the part? Vincent Price was an option as well and any of them would have provided a nice link to old Hollywood.
Indeed!

I think Orson Welles would've been a great choice. Vincent Price is a fun shout too. Honestly though, I think Bill Mitchell was actually perfect. The whole joke of going from that earth-shaking voice of his over church organ chords, straight to the light pop rock "Dark side of Grease" feeling... It's just perfect.
ashmanfanboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm Have you read the first draft btw? Ashman went wild. I'm glad Oz brought it "back to the shop", but that was quite an ambitious script!
I'm bad at sticking with reading anything in its entirety (I blame ADHD!) but the bits I've read are wonderfully mad. Definitely has the feeling, to me, that Howard really wanted to open the story out and make it into a movie, not just a filmed stageplay. Would've been very expensive to shoot though.

If they ever do that remake with Chris Evans as the dentist, I'd love it if they did something a bit closer to Howard's first draft. There's some stuff that you'd need to refine either way, but I think that first draft is a great starting point for a re-adaptation. Plus there's that absolutely insane version of the finale...!

I think Howard actually had a better handle on how to adapt Little Shop to film than Frank Oz did... Frank Oz gave us a great film, but he made a lot of changes, and Howard wasn't a fan of all of them. His sister Sarah Gillespie has spoken in the past about her view that the changes Frank Oz made, particularly to Seymour's journey as a character, are the reason the original dark ending never tested well. I believe this is why the Howard Ashman estate has generally opposed attempts to incorporate things like Mean Green Mother into productions of the stage show.
sonicbeta3

OldBenKenobi wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:37 pm
ashmanfanboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm It's interesting that both of them were still kicking in 1985 (Heston even went on to do similar cameos a decade later for Disney's Hercules and Armageddon). I wonder if either were actually offered the part? Vincent Price was an option as well and any of them would have provided a nice link to old Hollywood.
Indeed!

I think Orson Welles would've been a great choice. Vincent Price is a fun shout too. Honestly though, I think Bill Mitchell was actually perfect. The whole joke of going from that earth-shaking voice of his over church organ chords, straight to the light pop rock "Dark side of Grease" feeling... It's just perfect.
ashmanfanboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm Have you read the first draft btw? Ashman went wild. I'm glad Oz brought it "back to the shop", but that was quite an ambitious script!
I'm bad at sticking with reading anything in its entirety (I blame ADHD!) but the bits I've read are wonderfully mad. Definitely has the feeling, to me, that Howard really wanted to open the story out and make it into a movie, not just a filmed stageplay. Would've been very expensive to shoot though.

If they ever do that remake with Chris Evans as the dentist, I'd love it if they did something a bit closer to Howard's first draft. There's some stuff that you'd need to refine either way, but I think that first draft is a great starting point for a re-adaptation. Plus there's that absolutely insane version of the finale...!

I think Howard actually had a better handle on how to adapt Little Shop to film than Frank Oz did... Frank Oz gave us a great film, but he made a lot of changes, and Howard wasn't a fan of all of them. His sister Sarah Gillespie has spoken in the past about her view that the changes Frank Oz made, particularly to Seymour's journey as a character, are the reason the original dark ending never tested well. I believe this is why the Howard Ashman estate has generally opposed attempts to incorporate things like Mean Green Mother into productions of the stage show.
Excuse me, you might want to see this.

And before you ask, yes he still has them.

https://youtu.be/XAsFeDGupE0
OldBenKenobi

sonicbeta3 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm Excuse me, you might want to see this.

Interesting!

I wonder if someone could arrange to have it transferred by a facility local to the owner. Judging by the comments, he doesn't want to hand it off to private individuals.

Interesting that it's black-and-white... I wonder if it's a tape copy of the workprint we saw on the old DVD extra. If so, the colour from the Mean Green workprint could be laid on top to colourise it...
June '86... That's very early. Keep in mind, even by August there were unfinished effects shots.

A shame it got snapped up by someone who, at least judging by his comments, doesn't have any setup to play it. If someone on this forum had seen that eBay listing, perhaps we'd have a nice transfer of it for our perusal... Still, perhaps some arrangement can be reached to get it transferred. I hope so.
sonicbeta3

OldBenKenobi wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:03 pm
sonicbeta3 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm Excuse me, you might want to see this.

Interesting!

I wonder if someone could arrange to have it transferred by a facility local to the owner. Judging by the comments, he doesn't want to hand it off to private individuals.

Interesting that it's black-and-white... I wonder if it's a tape copy of the workprint we saw on the old DVD extra. If so, the colour from the Mean Green workprint could be laid on top to colourise it...
June '86... That's very early. Keep in mind, even by August there were unfinished effects shots.

A shame it got snapped up by someone who, at least judging by his comments, doesn't have any setup to play it. If someone on this forum had seen that eBay listing, perhaps we'd have a nice transfer of it for our perusal... Still, perhaps some arrangement can be reached to get it transferred. I hope so.
Well the least we could do is send him a transfer recorder.
sonicbeta3

OldBenKenobi wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Interesting!

Unless you have any better suggestions.
ashmanfanboy

Couple of more drops from Little Shop Archive on Youtube (God bless you and thanks if you're lurking here)

Bad Like Me Sequence Demo (extended with scene directions from Howard)
https://youtu.be/E1Lq1IG3UT8?si=BdOuJAvFmEN9uSZ6

a little bleed-in from the Patrick Martin proposal (as an aside I've always loved his Meek reprise from the stage demos), nice "Grow For Me" callback, and feeds into a sick somber version of the prologue/outro.

and at long last YOUR DAY BEGINS TONIGHT
https://youtu.be/kCD1y2sZnM8?si=lpg6Bi7Byzm5IlzE

According to the description it was written for the end credits. I read somewhere a while back that the studio was pushing for a standalone single to promote the film with (at one point even considering changing the main ballad's title to "Suddenly, Someone" for crossover radio play) and this feels very much like that. "CR&C" fits with the material better IMHO.
sonicbeta3

ashmanfanboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:45 pm Couple of more drops from Little Shop Archive on Youtube (God bless you and thanks if you're lurking here)

Bad Like Me Sequence Demo (extended with scene directions from Howard)
https://youtu.be/E1Lq1IG3UT8?si=BdOuJAvFmEN9uSZ6

a little bleed-in from the Patrick Martin proposal (as an aside I've always loved his Meek reprise from the stage demos), nice "Grow For Me" callback, and feeds into a sick somber version of the prologue/outro.

and at long last YOUR DAY BEGINS TONIGHT
https://youtu.be/kCD1y2sZnM8?si=lpg6Bi7Byzm5IlzE

According to the description it was written for the end credits. I read somewhere a while back that the studio was pushing for a standalone single to promote the film with (at one point even considering changing the main ballad's title to "Suddenly, Someone" for crossover radio play) and this feels very much like that. "CR&C" fits with the material better IMHO.
Say, you wanna know the surprising thing about the Bad Like Me one? What's described in it perfectly matches what happens in the storyboards I have for "Bad".
OldBenKenobi

The sequence demo for Bad Like Me is fun.
I expect Bad Like Me was composed (and recorded) after Bad was discarded, so it would've matched the existing series of beats to hit, storywise. The only vintage demo we have of Bad is, IIRC, the one with Howard and Alan doing it live to tape (the recording where Howard blows out his voice quite badly by the end), whereas Bad Like Me, Crystal Ronnette and Chiffon, Your Day Begins Tonight, and Mean Green Mother all have fully-produced studio demos.

Your Day Begins Tonight has great lyrics. Love the gloom and doom vibe. Reminds me a little of All Gone (aka "On The Day That It Started").

It's always interesting how the discarded songs have a lot of great ideas behind them, some of which were recycled and refactored into other stuff, some of which were just lost. Bad Like Me and Bad had a lot of lyrical ideas in common, and bits from them got refactored into Mean Green Mother (but not much really), but in terms of composition, I don't think there's much in common between the three songs.