Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

Deleted section inbetween verses, from a 1975 Joe Raposo draft of "No Girl's Toy."
(From 1977's Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure)

Note the presence of other book characters who aren't used in the final Richard Williams film.

ANN: Don't be crazy.
ANDY: I'm no girl's toy.
TEDDY: I'm amazed
NAN: He naughty boy.
CLEM: There's something nae good loomin with his goin on this way
EMILY: He's almost acting human. You're a doll and this is home and here is where you'll stay.
PENNY: Why you so mad?
ANDY: I'm no girl's toy.
NAN: 'E is so bad.
ANDY: Watch it sister!
ANN: Your place is with Marcella.
HENNY/CLEM: Bringing love and joy.
EMILY: And not to scream and shout.
CLEM: Knock about.
EMILY: Never think [about?] what you might might destroy
ANDY: No! I'm no girl's toy
[dance break]

Unused Joe Raposo lyrics, "No Girl's Toy" (Raggedy Ann), 1984 stage musical:

ANDY: You say I'm heaps of trouble and I'm headin' for a fall,
Well no rag, no bow, no hank a' hair is gonna make me do what I don't wanna do at all!
So don't tell me I'm making a scene cuz I'm no girl's toy
Can't fight what's in ya know what I mean? I'm getting out!

ANN/EVERYONE: it's such a happy place why can't you just enjoy?

ANDY: I'm no chuckle-head bumbling, overfed, tumbling, dummy you're gonna destroy
No, I'm no girl's toy! (spoken) not me!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

(Movin' Along, unused Marcella song from the Raggedy Ann musical, from the circus draft)

movin' along
goodbye, familiar faces
movin' along
hello to strange new places
movin along
maybe I'll like it better

(additional notes - by William Gibson - are handwritten and hard to make out)

the beautiful things there's no time to see
goodbye to ashcans and reduced-price rolls
factory smoke and shoes with holes
movies there's no dime to see
___ whatever ___ ills
____ the flesh is? his to thank
rhyme. and s____t me?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Since the Raggedy Ann / Rag Dolly musical was successfully performed in Moscow, there are many Russian stage productions which use the same story. Almost none use the original music, but this one does (Mexico, Diagnosis, and You'll Love It at the end). The musical was not revived anywhere else. The Russian versions are presumably unauthorized and use their own designs for the characters.

https://youtu.be/JIZFOOBu8bs
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVu8RE4oaK8

A discussion with the Raggedy Ann Revival Effort (RARE), a group and fandom who are trying to revive Joe Raposo and William Gibson's early 1980s dark fantasy theatrical Broadway musical "Raggedy Ann" aka "Rag Dolly," which used some elements and songs from Richard Williams' 1977 film "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure." Videos of the 1977 film and the 1980s musical are viewable on this channel.

Featuring Brooklyn (Finishing the Rat), Gwyn, Ronnie (HelloLadder) and Garrett Gilchrist.

Wikipedia writeup by Vinnie Rattolle:

Raggedy Ann Revival Effort (R.A.R.E.)

Filmmaker Garrett Gilchrist became intrinsically linked to Raggedy Ann & Andy director Richard Williams in 2006, when Gilchrist released his first fan edit of The Thief and the Cobbler, a long-gestating animated film that had been destroyed and swept under the rug by Miramax.[236] Realizing that Raggedy Ann & Andy hadn't gotten a DVD release and the rights were murky, Gilchrist restored the film and leaked it on the internet in 2008, providing most viewers with their first opportunity to see it in its proper aspect ratio. Concurrently, cult movie blogger Vinnie Rattolle was championing a revival of the notorious Broadway flop Carrie[237] when he obtained bootleg audio of a Broadway Raggedy Ann performance as well as an album of demos.[236] Gilchrist and Rattolle teamed up for some preliminary research into the play in 2013, but they hit various roadblocks and abandoned the project for many years.[237][236] However, Rattolle posted some of the audio on YouTube,[238] [239] which began to generate interest, and Ivy Austin responded by posting the Rag Dolly in the USSR documentary eight months later.

Over the next few years, a fandom arose as a new generation discovered the character, and around the time the world was undergoing COVID-19 lockdown, the YouTube algorithms were fervently recommending Raggedy Ann videos.[237] Without visuals, it was difficult to discern the action in the Broadway bootleg, so fans began unearthing scripts and sharing previously-unknown details.[240]

In February 2021,[241] a 16 year-old named Gwyn found Raggedy Ann & Andy autoplaying on her device,[237] and she followed up the viewing with a video on the film/play from the popular webseries Colin LooksBack.[242][237] A half hour later, she created R.A.R.E. pages on Discord[243] and Tumblr,[244] within fifteen minutes the first member joined, and more than 20 others had followed suit by the end of the week.[237]

There were dual purposes in the group's efforts, with the most obvious being the intent to revive the show themselves, as many of the young members are studying for careers in musical theater.[237] Their second motivation was to amass production materials for preservation since the show was considered lost media. They've unearthed numerous variations of the script and sheet music, Gibson's journal, publicity photos, press, the ESIPA video, and are on the hunt for more, most notably a video of the Moscow performance which has been confirmed to exist.[237]

Meanwhile, they began readying a new version of the script in hopes that it can be made available for high schools and regional theater productions, with aspirations of a run off-Broadway.[237] Largely working from the early drafts of the script, they've attempted to stay true to Gibson's intent while providing clarity and correcting various issues that were never ironed out in the chaos of the original productions.[237] They also had to contend with the character of Panda, who'd become an outdated stereotype in the ensuing decades. They attempted to replace the character with Babette, a French doll that was featured in the film, but concluded that the character didn't work, so she was replaced by Teddy, an original character who is a British-educated swashbuckling Teddy Bear.[237] They've done a table read, garnered the support of the Joe Raposo estate, have been in talks with the William Gibson estate, and hope to get the greenlight from the Bobbs-Merill company.[237]
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Cartoon Research discusses the 1977 Raggedy Ann film.

https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/t ... -adventure

I restored the film for DVD in 2007 and for UHD release in 2021. This is linked in the article. (This was done with H Bernhardt and others uncredited.)

The transfer of the Raggedy Ann trailer linked in the article is also ours but is reposted at some random person's channel.

Here is a video of an early version of Joe Raposo's mid-80s Broadway musical of Raggedy Ann, which now has a cult following, but was basically unknown when I was researching it awhile back. It's darker than the film and very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdiS52LXeE
ThiefFan