Things I Say

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Things I Say

I'm working on a film restoration, expensively. With a few people. We've been meaning to do this for awhile. (Well, a couple of film restorations but this one in particular.)

An earlier (dirtier) restoration of it leaked (which also contains footage from a much earlier version we did)

There was a comment somewhere, in a community which hates me for made-up reasons,

along the lines of:

"This is crazy and amazing, thank you to whichever one of you did this, you've done more for this film than Garret Gilchrist ever could"

This is pretty much how things go for me on the internet these days.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Joss Hoskie writes:
There can be some grey area on cases, but I really feel like the lost media community needs to have a distinction between truly lost media (London After Midnight) and media that just isn't accessible to the public ("Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce").

Garrett Gilchrist writes:
Unfortunately to them, Lost Media just means "something I saw on Youtube ten years ago when I was four, and am now having trouble Googling."

I can somewhat empathize with this, as much of my restoration work involves material that I saw when I was a kid in the 80s, which certainly still exists somewhere. But still, it's hard to get them to understand the difference or why they should care.

There are so many old films and TV shows which are genuinely considered LOST.
"Lost" does not mean "not currently on Youtube."
The discourse is pushed by teenagers who have very little interest in older media, and an outsized interest in the work of gaming Youtubers and the like.

They have a tendency to treat everything as a creepypasta, and are only interested in stuff they "sort of watched as a kid," which was probably about ten years ago or less. Everything is considered cursed and haunted, or some kind of scary story.

A 60s TV series like Adam Adamant Lives!, where all the episodes were wiped and about half are known to survive now, deserves more discussion than, say, a Youtube gaming channel who removed some guest star videos recently after that guest's allegations of sexual assault.

There's a Lost Media Discord. I posted a rare short film that a well known VHS archivist had found, which a poster on Facebook was able to identify thankfully.

They called the VHS archivist a "retard" and yelled angrily about watermarks for awhile and that was it.

They legitimately act like common, recent sitcoms, including ones that had DVD/VHS releases, are "lost" if they're not on Youtube right now. As if content claims aren't a thing!

They only seem to get interested in finding something if they've turned it into an urban legend, as a haunted piece of media - because someone watched it as an impressionable kid when the world was weird and scary to them.

It doesn't count to them that something very obviously still exists and is on the shelf in some archive, if it's difficult to source via a quick Google. And they're not interested in media older than 15 years or so, regardless.

And if you are a film/video restorationist uncovering rare material, they're either not interested, or they freak out that you haven't made something available yet, and start attacking.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Generally speaking (and obviously with exceptions), films made before 1980 are not available on streaming services, and have passed out of cultural memory. Something should be done about that.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

"Why are people cruel on purpose?" is one of the big questions of our time.

I find that people who are being cruel on purpose often back down completely when called on it, but it's probably not worth the risk.

You just have to say, I have value as a person, and this was a test this person purposely failed, and they do not get to be any part of my life.

And it's their loss.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Quantum Leap theme with lyrics:

[scientific sounding music]
[scientific sounding music]

Hi, I'm Scott Bakula and I'm traveling in time
But I've left my own body behind
So if you do see Scott Bakula please let me know
Cos I'd like my body back by the end of this show

It's mostly just nostalgia
We'll win the war this time, you'll see
I'm gonna get my rocks off
Even if I'm using Nixon's body
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

No one sells like Gaston
N'er-do-wells like Gaston
Has unwanted, point-missing preQUELS like GASTON
No protagonist for his antagonating
What is the point?
Gaston!
https://deadline.com/2021/06/beauty-and ... 234775284/
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

People hate on Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, but it's easily one of my top ten Indiana Jones movies.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Going through old MiniDV tapes. Found partly-taped-over raw footage from something I'd forgotten about. Three days shooting, plus editing, for $300. I did two.

I was closer to San Diego at the time and it cost $90 to travel to LA (at a time when I had nothing), and days of work on the edit. The guy paid me nothing. Zero.

Most of my experiences in LA (and as a freelance creative in general) were like that. Taken advantage of. That left a mark.

The guy isn't famous now. He's kept working but gets one or zero likes on his social media posts. Had lots of people helping him out then, and seems to have none now.

Good.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Google's idea of Account Security is that you should permanently lose access to all your accounts if your phone number ever changes. My phone number changed, and I lost all access to multiple popular Youtube accounts including TheThiefArchive.

They do not provide any support, or any way to fix this, and do not care that all my other security answers are correct. Their system wants to be able to send a text to my old phone number, which has not been in service for years. If it can't do that, I'm locked out forever. It will happen to you.

Be warned. This will happen to you. If your phone number is ever about to change, update all your information at Google immediately.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I got someone to repair my 2010-era computer, which had MiniDV capture capability. (Someone being Tinker, who built the computer in 2010.)

I'm attempting to capture my vast library of old tapes from high school and college and thereabouts. My own little movies which I wouldn't release into the world now, but would still like to have exist in some form. And home movies to an extent, including the first Camp Rewind in 2001. (Ghostbusted 1, Transients, etc.)

The 1997-2001 stuff requires a backwards-compatible Sony Digital8 player which are very hard to come by these days (since Sony stopped making them ages ago). I had to clean the heads to get this one to work at all. (And already returned another.)

One tape (of "1381" from January 1999-ish) had snapped entirely and I did further damage to it to dig the reels out and tape them together. I got much of the tape to play, up to the point of the splice, which suggests that maybe I did the splice wrong, or it's just tough to do this sort of thing right.

I captured one tape of a March 2003 Neil Innes performance, but I had tried to capture the second tape when the heads were still dirty and somehow it's still playing badly so far.

Hopefully, playing this spliced tape won't destroy the deck.

My early videos from 1996-2000 or so were edited analog, with picture quality degrading heavily, from the already-VHSy raw footage. One to three generations down. So it's good to also capture some of the raw footage, but also a huge pain. There's a lot of that, and cutting any of it back into the movies would be rough.

I did bother at times, remastering about half of 1999's The Phantom Movie in 2006. Not sure I'd bother now!

I keep finding stuff I forget I'd filmed or done. There's a lot of this stuff. Or stuff with people who I definitely don't talk to anymore, who would probably be the only people still interested in this stuff.

I have maybe 20 hours of footage on MiniDV from a Star Trek related feature I shot the EPK and interviews for. They didn't pay me when it came time to edit it. But for historical purposes maybe this should still exist. Some people involved have passed on.

I just found a silly analog edit I made (in early 1999?), cutting Star Wars 1977 down to mostly just the Biggs Darklighter scenes (and Luke scenes for context).

I remember coming across this before, years ago. I guess the last time I had an 8mm deck. And thinking, oh, I actually did do a cheesy voiceover for the ending. I had a vague memory of considering doing that, but not doing it. And I did it.