The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

If I can get personal for a moment - today, April 20th, marks my 35th birthday. Thank you all for supporting the Thief and the Cobbler restoration project and The Thief Archive over the years - eight years, the entirety of 2006 to 2013. It wouldn't have been remotely possible without your help and support.

At this time a year ago, I was attempting to get an original video game project off the ground for Kickstarter. That still hasn't happened. This past year has been the most difficult of my life. Not having the money to prevent disaster after disaster. I'm not sure how I survived any of it. I'm not sure how I'll get back on my feet again. But I certainly wouldn't have survived it without the help and well wishes of people here on Facebook. Friends who I care about and wish the best for.

I've kept being creative. I've been doing some of the most interesting work of my life, I think, often secretly for an audience of only a handful.

Well, I'm still here. Alive. Hanging on. And I'm back in Los Angeles now, thanks to one friend in particular. I'm ready to start a new chapter. No, I haven't given up. The Thief never gave up, and neither do I.
Dennis196492

Happy Birthday and good Luck, Garrett :gopher:
DaveHolmes

Happy Birthday!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

This article about The Thief by Peter Henderson was much more of a pain for me than it should have been. I guess it's only now hitting the internet.

Peter had interviewed me years earlier for other - I think school-related - reasons. Later it became this.

I was asked to fact-check the article, but not allowed to actually see the text. What I was sent for a fact-check - a long list - was inaccurate and insulting to me. I became very worried about the whole thing, but couldn't see what had actually been written, to have much chance of fixing it.

The final article, as you'd expect, gets things wrong when it comes to me or the film (and gets too personal), but is of a fairly high quality, considering how difficult and frustrating the whole process was at the time. There's some interesting stuff in it from other interviewees.

http://maisonneuve.org/article/2016/04/ ... ing-board/
adventuremaster18

Happy late birthday garret, i hope things will look up for you. I also heard you wanted to make a game, which i would love to help with. On other news, i finally posted the thief who never gave up documentary in its entirety: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlJp_15rXg
For some reason, the quality doesn't seem as good, but, eh, at least it's the full thing.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Cheers, you can write me at gilchristgarrett at gmail.

Quality may have gotten reduced with deinterlacing. I don't recall if that source is progressive or not - I thought it was.
adventuremaster18

Ok, i sent an email, hope you got it. Also, the quality just improved, it seems the problem was it was processing very slow. No i didn't deinterlace it btw. At least, I don't believe i did.
Hardback247

If there was one thing I'd really like, it's to have the Recobbled Cut go through a picture restoration with all of the dirt and hairs removed. I'd also like the Sean Connery credit removed, because he didn't actually voice Tack. I tried doing it all myself on Photoshop, but it always uses up too much space on my computer.
Dennis196492

If a new official restoration of The Thief happens, how much of Calvert's footage would it be acceptable to include? Mainly from the Premiere/Calvert Cobbler footage?

Keeping in mind that it's just a restoration, not actually finishing the film, because part of the reason why having the film completed nowadays wouldn't be exactly viable is due to the fact that it isn't just knowledge of animation, it's knowledge of practical old-school cinematography to even come close as to what John Leatherbarrow achieved with the lightining on The Thief, of which I've never seen an animated film do the same, like shooting different elements in various exposures and compositing stuff in most likely using 65mm film since it was all done optically without computers, even though shooting different elements on the same shot probaly generated the ''Williams would shoot the same scenes over and over again'' rumor.
filmfan94

I was wondering something along those lines myself concerning a potential official restoration. I agree that any attempt to complete the film wouldn't be viable due to the insane amount of effort that went into the cinematography and seeing your mention of 65mm, I can't help but wonder how much more stunning The Thief would have looked had it been shot in 65mm or any type of large format film for that matter.