The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

French Recobbled Mk4 subtitles from GAMACHEAH1, Twitter.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3d8818 ... 700/b7cd81
Max Scully

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am French Recobbled Mk4 subtitles from GAMACHEAH1, Twitter.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3d8818 ... 700/b7cd81
Seems as though the transfer has expired, unfortunately.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I've added some sets of subtitles to the Youtube Recobbled Mk4 video.
Hardback247

I only just learned about this slightly newer version of MK4 being made. What's the progress on it?
ctlw83

I occasionally look into copyright stuff, I don't claim to understand it. However, I find it interesting that Williams owned the copyright to the script itself, going as far back as 1988 at least. However, the film rights themselves have changed hands several times.

From what I can see, Miramax is still the primary rights holder but licensed it to Lionsgate in 2012. There were multiple banks with liens against it, specifically Barclays was one, who dropped the Lien in 2011. But looking through the mess of copyright documents everyone from Weinstein to Goldman Sachs has touched ownership on this.

I don't know why I decided to go down this rabbit hole today, but it definitely is interesting, and a mess.
DaveHolmes

ctlw83 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:21 am I occasionally look into copyright stuff, I don't claim to understand it. However, I find it interesting that Williams owned the copyright to the script itself, going as far back as 1988 at least. However, the film rights themselves have changed hands several times.
Margaret French has said that her and Richard held joint copyright from 1974 until Warner Bros. acquired the film for completion around 1990. At that point, Richard had to go to all of the previous financiers individually and either buy them out of their stake, or get them to sign away their rights to the film. The Boulting Brothers had a stake in the film (they also distributed Love Me, Love Me, Love Me when they ran British Lion) and the surviving brother told Richard not to worry about it. But as to the others...yeah I'm sure Richard had to take out loans to buy them out if he couldn't contractually promise them profits from the Warner Bros. release.
ThiefFan

How is progress on Mark 4.2
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I am still working on other things.

Anyway here's Yum Yum's Arabian Knight song in Italian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r-SM13Plps
TeeJay

Welp, I've been obsessed with this movie again lately. Might take a look at what I can do with the film's audio track with today's editing tools... might make my own fanedit if i'm ever up to it.

but here's a rough little edit i put together of the opening, with some opening credits.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wquMzQ ... sp=sharing
I thought it would be hard to fit everything in there if I wanted to give all the animators' names some decent screen time, but I might look for more things to add

edit: just noticed i accidentally removed Richard and Alex Williams' credits as lead animators, as i has mistakenly moved them to the wrong time and then thought they were duplicates. will fix in a later version
Last edited by TeeJay on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I didn't put credits over this in the Mk4 because it ruins the mood and distracts from the visible animation.

Credits were intended for this sequence but would have to be minimal because it gets "interesting" pretty quickly. It certainly would not have started with separate cards for the voice actors.