The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

And very good it is too, Dennis.

The Carol Burnett Show / S11E13

While not present on the 22min Shout Factory edit (which they stream online), the full 45 minute version of this episode apparently features Helen Reddy singing "Blue" in a monochrome Raggedy Ann costume. She also sang the song on The Muppet Show.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Is there any interest in a full HD/4K 35mm restoration of Raggedy Ann & Andy? Because we're doing one.

I am now taking donations at gilchristgarrett at gmail. com (Zelle, Square Cash and Paypal)

Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure, the 1977 feature film, was directed by Richard Williams (although finished by others when the budget was running out), and contains some good scenes.

It was a television staple during the 80s.

A widescreen version of this film was not available until our 2007 restoration, done from an animator's personal 35mm print. The standard-def transfer was slightly cropped, very JPEG-compressed (due to a misunderstanding) and left a lot to be desired.

(At the same time we also transferred some early 35mm work reels of The Thief and the Cobbler, and Richard's first film, the previously-unavailable The Little Island.)

Over the years, we acquired or gained access to several rare 35mm prints of Raggedy Ann & Andy. I left them in the care of a film restorationist in New York. We always intended to do a full HD transfer of the film, and a test transfer of the first reel was done. It was dirty and in need of restoration.

I felt that I wouldn't be able to do this level of restoration for a full feature film unless it was for an official (or semi-official) release with some budget behind it.

This film has sort of been in rights limbo for a long time, between Twentieth Century Fox, CBS/Paramount, Simon & Schuster and other parties. It's unclear to me who actually owns the film, and it has not had a video release since the VHS days.

I personally have no experience talking to large businesses and corporate rights holders.

Recently I was approached by a small group in Pennsylvania and elsewhere, who are trying to establish themselves by transferring and restoring 35mm film. They were interested in working on Raggedy Ann & Andy- for free, at least as a proof of concept.

I spoke to the friend and filmr estorationist in New York who has the Raggedy Ann reels. He would prefer to do the transfer and restoration himself, and believes he can get wetgate-like quality from his current setup, greatly reducing the optical dirt and the need for restoration. He is also using the Phoenix system to remove any further dirt and scratches. This would cost at least $1000.

This has been unfinished business for me since 2007, and it looks like now is the time to do it.
TackTheCobbler

Hello! I have been here for a while, but this is my first post. So a while back, I got photoshop and have started doing some restoration to some KA Reel shots (Or MBPS Reels, however you want to call it. I do have the audio for them as well). I was wondering if there were any shots in particular that anybody would like me to do. A lot of the one's I have on YouTube are admittedly pretty amateurish, but I do have a few that I'm working on where I have really gotten better. Instead of doing a rough outline of a piece of dirt on the reels which causes Content Aware Fill to make the area look terrible as it has too much information and doesn't know what to remove, going pixel by pixel instead to make sure there is as little detail loss as possible. Here's an example:
Before:
After
After
Thief 0014-H.264 10.3Mbps.00_01_09_18.Still001.png (222.48 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
After:
After
After
Thief 0014-H.264 10.3Mbps.00_01_09_18.Still001.png (222.48 KiB) Viewed 4494 times

I was also wondering if it was possible to view the original 35MM workprint instead of the VHS, or if it could be possible to get a Reanimated Collab off the ground with modern day professionals (because I have seen the Golden Edition clips, and they don't look good even at 480p). I doubt anybody will read this post, and the one's who do will likely criticize the fact I'm uploading clips with some changes (restoration in this case) on my channel. But I hope you guys understand these ideas and what I'm doing, and I hope you all have a good rest of your day.
Attachments
Before
Before
Thief 0014-H.264 10.3Mbps.00_01_09_18.Still002.png (122.06 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I don't know what you mean by MBPS. I am not currently working on further restoration of this material.
I was also wondering if it was possible to view the original 35MM workprint instead of the VHS, or if it could be possible to get a Reanimated Collab off the ground with modern day professionals
No and no.
TackTheCobbler

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. What I meant were the HD KA Reels, sometimes known as MBPS (not sure where it got that name). I understand you aren’t working on further restoration, but I was wondering if anybody was interested in seeing more KA clips getting restored, as I know some of them were not restored.
Dennis196492

A youtube user named Josh366lol calls them ''mbps'' based on Sirquaky's short clips that were uploaded a while back here but it's not a legitimate version, they're very brief compressed short clips from the much longer KA reels scans from early 2014. Not everything needs to have that kind of nomenclature, it's starting to sound really silly. (and confusing, because as far as I remember, he's also posing the OLD SD Mark 3 era transfers as some kind of version.)

As for reanimated or completion collabs, it would help for new people to read the thread and learn that way too many people already asked ''permission'' for Garrett to do them, even though he's not a final authority on the matter. The Thief is fine now as the Mark 4 and that was decided many years ago before the age of reanimated collabs, I say Dennis' efforts at the flower scene look magnificent but the effort was MONUMENTAL and that was JUST for re-tracing and coloring the rose stems from blurry bootleg footage, you have to understand that a small group of digital artists can't replicate the intricasies and visual techniques of something that was animated and shot 40 years ago on 35mm film by the best in the industry. Calvert had professionals and 5 studios on it and still couldn't match.

It would also help to understand what actually defines as a "Restoration", there is truth to what Garrett says when he said This was one of the most elaborate restorations -period-, it was an effort that involved thousands of dollars, talented people, as well as people that actually worked on the film, but Garrett was the one that had to put this all together, especially for the time when AI clean-up algorhythms and upscalers weren't as good as they are now, the Mark 4 was done at the outset era of self-funded HD transfers of rare, precious 35mm material, if it falls short on a couple areas then too bad, in the end there is no reason to work any further on this if you don't have more 35mm material. And that was discussed to death already.

If a new Thief restoration happens, it'll happen with new transfers and with professional folk, costing quite a bit of money, and it will STILL be an unfinished version of the film in the end. Shuffling Garrett's work around and making it slightly brighter or changing the music isn't ''restoration''.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

What Dennis says is accurate.

I restored the film by hand for years. It was an 8 year project. It is what it is. I went frame by frame and cleaned up thousands of frames. At a certain point I stopped.

I still do not have access to a 35mm print of Arabian Knight, Princess and the Cobbler, or A Moment In Time, so there is no reason to revisit the material.

I don't really need anyone, officially, to clean up, like, five more frames, or trace one frame, or upload something to Youtube and act like they did the whole thing. It's generally not a worthwhile thing to be doing.

The Thief in the War Machine material from the KA reels is not a transfer I'm particularly happy with anyway. It's okay, but too contrasty and red.

I wouldn't mind a new transfer of the KA Reels but that's about it (and won't be happening anytime soon. I doubt it would ever happen at all- it would be hard to get access to that material again).

I don't know what you're talking about with these names. I asked J*sh366l*l to stop posting bad, reedited 240p clips from the archive, many years ago. He's a stalker and was cluttering Youtube up with absolute garbage, making it harder for people to find the clips in decent quality. He has kept doing so for years and years, while making stalker videos attacking me. He does not get to name them anything. I have ignored him since then and don't care.

MBPS just means megabytes per second, that's not the name of the reel.

The Golden Edition project was just some kids on Deviantart doing bad artwork or something. I think that's a good example of how a "re-animated" project would come off. Why not do something original?

I get the enthusiasm but I can't approve of any of this. It's only causing damage to a project I worked hard on. You don't need my permission, but if I'm considered the authority on this film it's because I put the work in and earned it. Most people are respectful of that, and some other people are jealous of that instead and get weird about it.

I've just funded a Raggedy Ann 1977 transfer which is very nice. And cost $1000. I'm glad we didn't do it back then, as the tech is better now.
TheKungFuRobber

I'd like to do some work on Theif and the Cobbler, what I can do to help is I can create an AI upscale of the letterbox DVD copy of Arabian Knight if this would help to work with, and the other materials too. I can also assist with some restorative/cleanup work on the HD 35mm scans you have if needed. What do you still need done?