The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

I would say so, yes.

We have better film of those scenes in individual collectors' archives, although as others have pointed out, the reds in the war machine stuff leave something to be desired and would require a very special transfer.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

It's the two-year anniversary of the premiere of The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mk4. I was going to Livestream, but maybe not tonight (I'm behind on work). But it's as good a time as any to rewatch the film on Vimeo.

Trivia: Beatles producer George Martin was once approached to compose music for the film. Which George Martin Beatles song is used in the Recobbled Cut?

https://vimeo.com/132568455
Dennis196492

What a coincidence! Might as well watch it again, Seeing that Tack shot and another one from earlier in the film (it does look very green, and Tack's face is pretty much gone) really makes me appreciate the HD stuff for the Reccobled Cut more.

I really wanna know what kind of detail was lost in the War Machine sequence, now I definately want those Princess/Arabian Knight to happen, those have got to have better detail, but then it's very weird how it's only The Thief stuff that looks like that, even the KA Reels, the destruction scenes have a lot more detail compared to the older Thief stuff, which was probaly a copy of a copy spliced in along a copy of the master negatives, It'd be very sad to hear that for the Calvert cut they messed with the original masters for those scenes.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

All of the workprint material, but especially something like A Moment In Time, can't compare to a negative cut like a really professional transfer of Arabian Knight or Princess and the Cobbler would give us. By nature it's lower quality and contrasty. However, this can be dealt with in the transfer to an extent. The transfer techs did their best with the 1-hour+ of raw footage we have in the archives, but stuff like the War Machine is very red by nature and requires special attention, which there wasn't time and money to give. The "Arabian Knight" Japanese DVD tends to show those scenes in a better light, though it's lower resolution. I could have done some work in post to improve the material but never got round to it.

An ideal restoration of the film would combine 35mm transfers of the KA/ThiefArchive footage, A Moment In Time, Arabian Knight or Princess and the Cobbler ... all together! Along with anything else that is out there that we haven't seen yet. And be as professionally transferred as possible with different settings used for tricky scenes like the War Machine. If this happens I would of course be happy to donate what we have and consult on it.
joe411

I have an idea for a somewhat simple video you can make to boost the recobbled cut's popularity, and answer questions that some may have about the film.

I've seen you post before how you wanted to make a documentary about the restoration's history (which I'm not saying is never going to be possible), but I can imagine given the complexity, a documentary such as that would be very detailed and take a long time to create.
What I'm suggesting is a featurette that briefly goes over the cut. I imagine it being in a similar setup as this: https://youtu.be/QXifjbxZDAM. (Obviously a re-edit of star wars is much less complex than the recobbled cut, and would take less time to explain.)

This video can be separated into about 3 sections. First: a brief history of the original film. No need to go into detail (we have Persistence of Vision for that), just a brief explanation of the film's origins and the problems it ended up facing. This is also a good way to clear up misconceptions about the films, such as Warner Bros. involvement and how it isn't entirely Miramax's fault.

Secondly: a brief history of the reccobled cut itself. Specific details are not needed here either, as a short summary of your involvement with the film along with the help of others. You can leave detailed explanations for the documentary, if you ever get around to working on it.

And thirdly, an introduction of the sources. This part is critical, as I can imagine many people will be very interested in what was used to make the cut. Again, keeping it simple is best. A brief summary of the major sources along with a basic description on how it's used would work perfectly. You can spend about 1-2 minutes on each one.

Even though this video will probably be very short, I think that it would help gain the cut some notoriety. I've seen people on some websites ask what version of the Thief they should watch, and sometimes why the version they were watching was suddenly changing to pencil tests and storyboards. If a video explaining what the cut is and what it's made up of was one of the first things that comes up when searching "thief and the cobbler" on youtube, I'm sure many questions will be answered and many people would recommend the cut to others, not knowing the film's history.

Going back to the star wars example, that video greatly boosted the despecialized edition's popularity. I've seen in many places people talking about how the despecialized edition is the definitive version of star wars, and some news articles talking about it, and even a few youtubers mentioning how it completely outplays every home version. I've seen it, and it's just a 720p version of the theatrical cut. Not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be.

Imagine that popularity seen in the despecialzied editon being attributed to the recobbled cut. I can see it being even more popular due to the amount of complexity and skill needed to create it. People who would of seen arabian knight on dvd and thought it was awful may now know the version they've seen was not Richard Williams's original vision. Aspiring animators may now know about the film and have a easily accessible version, and might even be inspired by the animation. Even those who didn't know why the film was suddenly changing to vhs quality and pencil tests may now realize why this happens. And others who are interested in film restorations, or just want to see a good film, have an easy way to be introduced to it. This is what I think the video will accomplish.

I'm not sure if you're busy or not, but I think you should eventually make this video.
"Oi ewe! Chut cho mauf and luek at muy wad!" --Harry Enfield
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

That's not the tactic I would use if making a video about the restoration.

I am busy. I don't have the time to do hundreds of projects that are all important. They get backburnered for years. I don't have the time, because I don't have the money coming in. If I told you how little money I made last year, it would startle you. I have to work on projects which pay something, however slight. If I was being supported by fans of my personal work, I could do more of it.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

If memory serves, that demo VHS has come up on Ebay before. These would be sent out to video rental stores so they could watch the film and see if they wanted to purchase copies of it. Tapes were often sold to rental stores at a much higher price, months before being sold to the public. A leftover from the 80s, when videotapes could be very expensive.
Animfan98

Hey everyone, been a fan of the film (and the Recobbled Cut) for some time now. I was wondering if anyone on here could provide me with a rip of the Australian Princess and the Cobbler DVD. Even though the original workprint and the Recobbled Cut are much better, I have a soft spot for the Calvert cut, and the only versions of it I can find online are VHSrips with rather sub-par A/V quality.
I've searched high and low on eBay for the DVD, but have never been able to find a copy for sale. I almost gave up hope, until I found this forum.

Can anyone supply me with a DVDrip of the Calvert cut? If so, that would be greatly appreciated.