The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
filmfan94

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Since you mentioned it, Dave, I can't help but wonder what became of that print of the Calvert version Steve Stanchfield almost got his hands on.
Dennis196492

I think there were two collectors, don't remember exactly where, but it's not like they can just lend the print for a weekend to transfer the film, a print of the Calvert cut is extremely rare, and I don't think whoever owns the rights of the Arabian Knight version also has the rights of the Princess version.

Anyway, about that 2006 DVD:

This is the fold-out castle, behold how everything in it is wrong.

And for a closer look at the characters, here's the back of the box:

joe411

Very strange that the distributor paid to manufacture that.

Hopefully one of these days they will realize that the same reissued pan-and-scan dvd would become too obsolete and would rescan the miramax cut in HD for blu-ray.
Maybe.
"Oi ewe! Chut cho mauf and luek at muy wad!" --Harry Enfield
filmfan94

Some new information about Richard Williams' latest film, "Prologue."
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/shorts/richa ... 18753.html
SmarTeeMackxs

I just had the strangest dream... that there was a live performance of "Bom Bom Bom Beem Bom" at a talent show, with mascot style costumes. One of the performers tried to execute a double somersault and fell flat on his face.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Richard Williams is in LA showing his new short Prologue for Academy consideration at the Laemmle Royal in West LA from Friday the 11th for one week. It will run at matinees only. Check for times.

On Wednesday, September 9th, Imogen Sutton, producer and Williams' wife, spoke at a Women in Animation event in Burbank.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/shorts/richa ... 18753.html
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Two years ago, on September 10th and finally September 17th, 2013, I released The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4 to the internet. This was the result of seven years of research, a whole lot of help from a whole lot of people, and finally over two and a half years of work hand-painting damage out of frames in Photoshop, as well as extensive and complex special effects in Photoshop, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, AviSynth and more. At the time I still considered the edit unfinished. Our little group of supporters of the film paid for me to meet Richard Williams in December, and I realized the edit would always be unfinished really. I'd like to thank everyone who helped out along the way, and everyone who supported the project.

At the time I'd meant to create a documentary and commentary showing how I did the restoration, which is almost certainly the most complex restoration of any film ever attempted independently. I still have that footage and commentary on my hard drive, unused. I decided, in short, to move on. Though that's still not out of the question.

For years I'd built an enormous archive and scrapbook of material people had donated related to the film, and with their help and yours we'd demolished a lot of myths about the making of this movie. I have never read, heard or seen an account of the making of this film which gets everything quite right, but we now had (and have) the documents to know better, as well as one hell of a Youtube channel. There was talk for years - if I could get the money and time together - of making a book or film which would use those archives and try to tell the definitive version of this story. It occurs to me though that trying to tell that story isn't the important thing. I was more interested in hearing Dick's own point of view, for better or for worse, because for three decades this film was Dick Williams, for better or for worse.

The true story of this film is the story of Richard Williams himself - a man who wanted to be a great animator and make a great film. His commitment to his art, and to this one film, damaged his career, because this film was in the end taken away from him - an injustice I've sought to correct as much as possible. But it's Richard Williams' commitment to art for art's sake, and his vision about the limitless potential of the artistic medium, which continues to inspire us and had meant that no matter what happened to this film, Richard Williams' place in animation history is assured. He is known today as a great teacher who passed on the wisdom of the past and made it his own. But I also sought, in my own way, and without his approval, to rehabilitate the reputation of this one film. And with your help, that's what we've done. We've been cheerleaders for a film which was treated very badly. It wasn't possible to watch a version of this film in high quality which reflected Richard Williams' wishes. Now there are two high-quality versions of the film which accomplish that - the Recobbled Cut, and of course Richard Williams' own unrestored workprint, as transferred and screened around the world now. Richard has acknowledged that my work, our work, and Kevin Schreck's work pushed him forward with this film, and I hope in the end it's been a happy ending for him.

As a direct result of trying in my own way to preserve this film I've been lucky enough to meet hundreds of wonderful and supportive people, as well as brilliantly talented animators who inspired me in the past and continue to inspire me. The film under Richard Williams shut down in September 1992, or so. It's now been 23 years, and we haven't righted that wrong but we have done our best by it. To the animators who worked on this film, this edit was always a gift to you, and I put as much work into it as I humanly could, so that the world could see your work in as high quality as I could manage with what we had. May the film stand, in any form, as a sign of what the animation medium is capable of. May it inspire people to create their own great works of art. We live in a society which wrings the art out of us. But right now, somewhere, an artist is putting pencil to paper and showing that paper their dreams ... the dreams which in turn will one day move and change us, and help us build this medium's future.

"Once upon a time ..."
Dennis196492

The orcars site has screengrabs for what I think it's the Moment in Time version of the film

http://www.oscars.org/calendar/thief-and-cobbler