The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

G. Smith writes:
>> Hi, Garrett! Bad news, UMG and Miramax blocked part 4 of ''The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4'' from YouTube. Can you release ''The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4'' on DVD, please?

A DVD (and HD) version has been available via torrent since September. ("The Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut Mark 4 Sept 13 Mk4 WIP", to be exact. Have a look for it.) I'm sorry to hear about this though, this is a real problem.

At the moment, the material is unblocked. Much of the film has now been "identified" as being property of Miramax (which actually no longer exists) visually, and by Universal Music Group or Warner Music Group for the various classical music pieces used (even if they're not the same recording). This may be a problem in the future! Or not. Youtube goes up and down with this stuff. I've been warned that the entire account might be shut down - This happened to my ocpmovie2 account, since I'd posted some rare Star Wars deleted scene material, much of which was released on Blu-Ray (often in a different edit) some years later.

I see that two parts of Arabian Knight were removed, giving us two copyright strikes.

I've deleted Arabian Knight and Princess and the Cobbler entirely now. I can't risk losing the entire account over those films.
Laukku

The whole copyright system of today's world is corrupted and rotten. Richard Williams is the one who should have those rights to the film. Big soulless corporations have too much power and keep extending copyright expiration dates to infinity and beyond.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

http://orangecow.org/thief/Thief%20and% ... 06.torrent
http://orangecow.org/thief/Thief%20and% ... 07.torrent

The Thief and the Cobbler Scrapbook, parts 6 and 7.

"The Thief Archive" isn't just video. A side effect of having restored this film and connected with so much of the original crew is that I collect a whole lot of documents - text, artwork, interviews, all sorts of things - related to the art and career of Richard Williams, and films like The Thief, Roger Rabbit and Raggedy Ann.

You could spend years going through all this material, and it doesn't do much good just sitting on my hard drive, so every once in a while I like to compile it all into "Scrapbooks" that you can burn to disc and keep for posterity. I haven't done that in awhile, and these two releases are particularly good. We have the collection of runner Stephen Day, which Dane Becker put a lot of work into scanning, and better still, the Thief portfolio shown to investors before the film went into full production. Mat Fitzpatrick put a lot of money and time into getting this away from the foul hands of Ebay and preserving it - It includes a lot of early conceptual artwork by Errol Le Cain and company, and quite a lot of information about the early production of the film.

Anyway, here you are.
mowen4892

These torrents are sick, thanks for uploading all that Garrett!
Jules

Garrett, I downloaded the HD version of the Mark 4 Recobbled Cut, which consists of a .mov file, and am wondering how to get it to play properly on my Panasonic Blu-ray disc player. I copied the file to an external hard-disk, and plugged the drive into the Blu-ray's front panel USB input. This works for all manner of files, from MKVs to MP4s, but not completely with MOVs. The video plays beautifully, but I get no audio.

Does this mean I must convert your .mov file into something else presumably compatible with my player? Wouldn't this result in a loss of quality?

Thanks! :-)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Hi Jules. Unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with Blu-Ray formatting, so I'm not really sure ... I did try to format it in a Blu-compatible way.
PAW

Jules wrote:Garrett, I downloaded the HD version of the Mark 4 Recobbled Cut, which consists of a .mov file, and am wondering how to get it to play properly on my Panasonic Blu-ray disc player. I copied the file to an external hard-disk, and plugged the drive into the Blu-ray's front panel USB input. This works for all manner of files, from MKVs to MP4s, but not completely with MOVs. The video plays beautifully, but I get no audio.

Does this mean I must convert your .mov file into something else presumably compatible with my player? Wouldn't this result in a loss of quality?
First of all, MKV, MP4, and MOV are just containers. What matters more is what formats the video and audio streams they contain are encoded in. If the video is playing, you don't need to re-encode that, only the audio. I just had a look at the Mark 4, and it turns out that the audio is in QT PCM, which I hadn't heard of before, and which seems to differ from standard PCM in some way that makes it incompatible with a lot of stuff.
Download ffmpeg and run the command:

Code: Select all

fmpeg.exe -i c:\ThiefCobbler-91713-HD-H264.mov -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le c:\ThiefCobbler-91713-HD-H264.mkv
This will convert the audio to standard PCM and mux both this and the video into an MKV file.
(obviously replace c:\ThiefCobbler-91713-HD-H264.mov with the path and filename where you have the file, and replace the output filename with where you want to save the mkv file)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I'll keep that in mind if I ever rerelease the film as well.