The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

The line of what is and isn't Williams is very fuzzy. There's a lot of footage that was traced and finished or shot or reshot by Calvert teams with varying levels of accuracy.
Dennis196492

I did, while I don't remember the exact numbers, there are 38 Minutes of Calvert footage, and 44 Minutes of Williams footage, I could be off, though.
FlickeringWindow

Echo Bridge recently lost the rights to the portion of the Miramax library licensed to them, including the Arabian Knight cut. It looks like they went to Lionsgate, who already had the bulk of the library.

http://www.lionsgate.com/corporate/contact/
liranshoshan86

Garrett, have you considered creating an HD version of the workprint with the materiel you already have?
This may sound redundant,but I think it would be interesting watching Richard's cut of the film, as rushed as it may be.
Redstar

FlickeringWindow wrote:Echo Bridge recently lost the rights to the portion of the Miramax library licensed to them, including the Arabian Knight cut. It looks like they went to Lionsgate, who already had the bulk of the library.

http://www.lionsgate.com/corporate/contact/
Thanks! I was curious about who holds the rights since I saw through my research that Disney sold of Miramax. I wouldn't want to give outdated information to anyone I E-mail.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

liranshoshan86 wrote:Garrett, have you considered creating an HD version of the workprint with the materiel you already have?
This may sound redundant,but I think it would be interesting watching Richard's cut of the film, as rushed as it may be.
Nah. Really, really not worth the work of restoring inferior versions of scenes. The sound, especially! It's watchable enough in its VHS form.

Of course Dick's own 35mm workprint was transferred to HD for the screening in Los Angeles. Wish we had that as a release! Although there are editing issues especially with the sound which aren't there on the familiar VHS workprint.
Dennis196492 wrote:I did, while I don't remember the exact numbers, there are 38 Minutes of Calvert footage, and 44 Minutes of Williams footage, I could be off, though.
A better question is how many scenes are still in storyboard, and still in pencil test, in the Recobbled Cut ...
Dennis196492

I'm pretty sure it's around 8 minutes, since you used 12-15 minutes of Calvert footage to fill in the gaps for the edit.
mowen4892

So does that mean a little over an hour of the Recobbled Cut is Williams footage?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

It's still a fuzzy line. Worth measuring properly, but there are certainly some "Calvert" versions of Williams scenes that wouldn't ever need to be redone even if the whole thing were being finished on a big Disney budget. The Zigzag/One Eye stuff is fine, for example. Xeroxed down to a smaller size, so thicker lines, but oh well.

If you look at all the bad animation that wound up in Raggedy Ann & Andy as they were rushing to finish it, the Recobbled Cut gets off pretty easy.

I hope the original art still exists so that pencil test scenes could theoretically be finished properly, but that might be too much to wish for. If a big company with a budget were doing new animation for the film, they could start by turning those storyboards into pencil tests.
Dennis196492

Wow, suddenly we're back in 2007, discussing new animation for the film, re-release and stuff.

If it were by me, All Calvert footage should be scrapped, except for maybe a few of Premier Films's shots, but only if they are to be enhanced, aka proper rendering and color correction, though that can be easily covered in a computer.