The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

You can't make these people up. Thick as a brick.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibition ... bbler.html

Once upon a time, an artist named Richard Williams decided to make a film - an animated fantasy set in the world of the Arabian Nights.

Now, fifty years later, and over twenty years after production famously shut down, Richard is screening that film publicly in Los Angeles, for the first time ever.

On Tuesday, December 10th, with thanks to the Academy, an audience will see the unfinished The Thief and the Cobbler with Richard Williams in attendance, now aged 80 years and perhaps animation's most respected and legendary teacher.

Richard Williams will always be controversial. He was difficult to work with, stubborn and single-minded. It seems in retrospect that he was only interested in making this one film, which he intended as his masterpiece. It may have ruined his career in some ways, but it also built his legend. That legend lives on, and so does the film itself.

This is a triumph not only for Dick Williams himself, but for those other brilliantly creative souls who worked on the film and lived to tell the tale. Perhaps on tuesday old wounds can be put to rest, as the film has its one day in the sun. Perhaps the first of many.

Richard's version of A Christmas Carol will also be screened, for which he won his first Oscar. He won another two for Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Seven years ago I put out a restoration called The Recobbled Cut, intended to rehabilitate the reputation of this film, which famously was only available in nearly unwatchable poor-quality VHS bootlegs, and versions finished without Williams' involvement which had turned the film into a laughing-stock.

Since then I've maintained The Thief Archive, dedicated to preserving the animated work of Richard Williams, and keeping the flame of this underappreciated body of work alive. I've been privileged to speak with and gather material from many brilliantly talented people who worked with Dick over the years.

Over the past two years I created the Recobbled Cut Mark 4, intended to restore the film on a frame by frame basis in HD, once and for all. A version of this was released in September via Youtube and torrent.

I was intending to continue work on this edit, but with Dick's own copy screening, the Recobbled Cut may have reached the end of the road.

Dick Williams is loved and hated, but he is first and foremost respected. He is one of the great animators to ever work in Hollywood, and those who worked for him and worked hard to meet his demanding standards of quality have never really gotten the respect they deserve. To all of you, and the work you've created, a round of applause is due. This night is for you, and a sign that good work stands the test of time, regardless of the politics and personalities that can derail a project in Hollywood.

It is one of the curious things about Richard Williams and the Cobbler that people continue to talk cobblers about him, and the film. Dick has gotten a bad reputation over the years. So it's well worth pointing out that he was right. In the 70s and 80s, Richard demanded a level of quality and precision of his studio's animated work that led many to call him impossible or insane. But that level of precision, or even higher, became the accepted standard at Disney in the 90s and 2000s. The lax quality control standards of the 70s and 80s faded away. But to this day there's never been another film quite like The Thief and the Cobbler, or indeed Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or A Christmas Carol.

So here's a toast to Dick and Roy and everyone at Soho Square.

If you're in the area, tickets are still available. Stop on by for a moment in time that's been a long time coming. Fifty years. Oh, once upon a time ...
FrankRT

Well... this is a significant landmark...
Reegar

A landmark indeed. I hope the rest of the world can eventually see this upcoming cut. If not, the good news is we'll always have Recobbled. :yumeye:
GeoNine

Hope to hear back with news of how close the Recobbled cut was in it's current form. Hope you have a great time and maybe meet the man himself.
MackerelSkyltd

Have a wonderful time, Garrett! We're all going to live this event vicariously through you, so we'll be eager to hear a report. Here's hoping you get to talk with the man himself!
ctlw83

I hope you have a copy of Mark IV with you in a portable format. It would be awesome if you could show Dick all of the work everyone in this community has contributed through the years. I'm at least hoping you will get to talk to him.
SmarTeeMackxs

Good luck getting there. Best support from us.
Oliver Judd

Have a lovely time! We wish you the best.
filmfan94

Best wishes to you and hope you have a good time, Garrett!