Monty Python Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Monty Python Thread

Hm, this Pinwheel tape has a short Nickelodeon promo for Leonard Nimoy's Standby Lights Camera Action, covering Return of the Jedi and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Not sure that's ever leaked even? The Meaning of Life section anyway ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GDy2v3k0RQ

Someone else writes: "Was it filming the “Howard’s being eaten” scene? There's clips of the fish behind the scenes in the DVD documentary. And there's a forty-five minute electronic press kit in the Paley Center which is presumably the source. Also I remember seeing the Nimoy segment on a video trade list years ago."

https://www.paleycenter.org/collection/ ... em=B:14646
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Had a look at the Innes Book of Records clip DVD that was (is) officially sold at Neil Innes' website as part of the Recollections Reducks box set. I have decent rips of the series (archive. org) but was curious what this release was like, so I'm checking it out.

Some nice animated CGI menus appear, and are also used in place of the record player cut-ins, to make an hourlong "episode." It's a reasonable representation of what two episodes of the show were like, if somewhat random.

It mostly looks very good, but Protest Song/Palin/Preview is from ropey VHS, and Happy Ending not much better. (My copies are certainly nicer than this.)

The series 2 opening is used and is a little questionable too. Also, bafflingly and worringly, the blackface UFO Shanty is included.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

https://archive.org/details/rutles-rela ... r+2003.mp4

This is a new restoration of this.

It was already out there, but sourced from a DVD I'd made of the footage, with compression baked in.

I went back to the Digital8 footage for this.

I filmed the entire show at the 1650 Club, which preceded this (and we'll be working on an edit of that), but this is all I filmed of the Lava Lounge show (which was also filmed for the movie The Seventh Python).

It was very dark and the footage was very grainy. Color correction and NeatVideo noise reduction were used. Weirdly, I got glitchy output on both Mac and PC, probably due to converting between MOV and AVI.

The glitches were every few frames on PC, and consistent at the bottom of the image on Mac. This edit largely uses the Mac output, with the PC output at the bottom fifth of the image.

It also uses Bill Kates' audio, rather than the camera audio, except for the very end. I also used frame estimation to patch a short bit in "Let's Be Natural" where frames were dropped (present on every capture I've ever done of this).