The Video Games Thread

A forum for creative people.
FloorMat116

Re: The Video Games Thread

Anyone have an Xbox Live account and want to post a rip of the new Atari: Game Over documentary?
It's supposedly on the website for viewing as well, but I've never been able to get it to work with Silverlight.
Can't find a torrent anywhere because it's free anyway, but only through Xbox Live.
Dennis196492

About Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric:

We all know that the final game is not by any stretch of the imagination a good game, it's average at best, but to say it's worse than Sonic 06 is just stepping on the retard territory for a number of reasons, still, the game is riddled with glitches, the graphics are a mixed bag of good looking envoirments and art-style to washed-out textures and unpolished structures, the story, while being arguably better than most Sonic stories it's still half the stuff they said they would deliver.

An interview with Steve Frost, producer of the game stated that this was going to be the first time Sonic and co. work as a team, they discover a new land and Sonic was going to go through an arc where he would learn the importance of teamwork and that kind of stuff, turns out that the final game doesn't has any of that, it just assumes that Sonic always knew his gang and that it's just another day on their world.

Apparently this game was also in development for 3 years and had a budget of 20 Million dollars, what most people wonder is what the hell happened to make the final product a jumpy-low framerate mess, I don't know if it's gonna convince the lot of you but I think I have the answer.

Let's go back to Febuary 2014, it's a beautiful day, the internet freaks out once this baby come out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8V0P4Yvw7c

We wouldn't see any more of this game until E3 2014, and by then it's clear that some things went through drastic changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjZEOW4rmc

They changed the models, why I don't know, but they are definately not the same ones from the reveal trailer. Now, I am not an expert on 3D Game-making but I do have an idea on what's like to progam a character to move in an envoirment, and that to make a nice animation just for his normal locomotion to make it seem like he is running on the world of the game is a huge pain in the ass, coincidentaly this was also the time when we discovered that the demo for Sonic Boom was glitchy as all hell and even later it's confirmed that there are plentiful of scenes in the reveal trailer that are not in the final game.

They re-animated the whole game, or rather half did it and had to leave stuff out, possibly trimming down the story significantly so they could focus on re-doing the animation for those specific scenes, which is why the pacing is all over the place.

Now, I don't like Game Grumps, by any means, but I still think this is an necesseray video to prove my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Jb3A0HLe4

It's clear that they rushed these cutscenes, but the problem with the characters jump cutting all over the place doesn't just limit itself to the re-animated cutscenes but for also the entire game itself, making an entire new model for a character and re-animated, re-propriate them for the setting, re-do the whole colision mapping is something that requires a lot of time for a development team because it's all subtle stuff, Clearly they didn't have the time to re-do this stuff all over, and this is why the game ended up the way it did, then you hear stories about how they alledgedly lost a good chunk of the resources because CryTek fucked up the switch between CryEngine 3 to CryEngine 4 (which is already a poor engine to make a game on, especially in a console), and how they had to tone down the whole game to make it run on the Wii U, that's the answer, to an extent, they had to re-do the whole game in less than 8 months.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Completely different models! And that was posted in February ...

The game feels rushed and unfinished, and it's not a Sonic style game to begin with. I've been watching GameGrumps on it, which is a pretty ridiculous way to be introduced to any game admittedly. I am 1000% done with Arin's shit. But it's a complete train wreck.

It's not Sonic 06, but it's also not a proper Sonic game.

It only has moments that are Sonic-style inbetween all the button-pushing and exploring.

I'm not a current gamer so I don't normally comment, but what a mess. I do have sympathy for any third-party developer trying to work on Nintendo's underpowered, proprietary, secretive and unusually-laid-out systems. I understand why legitimate publishers tend to avoid Nintendo systems on their top titles, and why they get so much shovelware - although I'm still basically a Nintendo supporter.

As for GameGrumps, this has been a funny playthrough, but there's only so much I can take of Arin being angry, anti-social and unpleasant while acting like a complete moron and failing to understand or pay attention to any aspect of the game he's playing. I'm only watching for Danny, if at all.
Dennis196492

It's a spin-off, people seems to misinterpret that, Modern will still continue and Boom is just a different branch, it should be different enough to make it it's own thing. At least the cartoon/comic is good.

Game Grumps has gone to huge shit once Jon left, Dan is a cool guy and all, but it's clear that he doesn't like video games, and Arin has gotten a thousand times worse since, his Ocarina of Time video sealed the deal for me.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Jon had a shitty personality - Arin seems to have taken that over these days. It's worse in some videos than others.
Dennis196492

They had some chemistry, and Jon had a better taste in video games. What bothered me with Arin since is that he tries too hard to be funny, very often failing to emulate Jon, he constantly gives that annoying forced laughter and constantly keeps milking Barry, not to mention the awful thumbnails and just how boring the other shows are. I just stopped caring, I unsubscribed a long time ago.
Dennis196492

I did read these articles before, and it's like I am re-reading my old Youtube comments and criticism, aka not a pleasant experience. You can just sum these 2 totally ridiculous
articles with a simple text and make it as much informing as the article is, it didn't have to be so divided like this, not to mention the illogical conclusions regarding extremely vague evidence like Perci being playable, BRB not understanding Shadow in the slightest, and the game once being 4-player based on a single concept art image, as well as the totally opinion based conclusions that lead to paragraphs of the author stating that they didn't try at all with the game and takes more words than necessary to say it's the worst thing to ever happen
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

It's certainly a lot of conjecture based on very little in places. But boy, what a mess.

Grumps are playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze at the same time, and that game is, I think, exactly what Rise of Lyric should be and isn't.

Between this and Super Mario 3D Land (for a start), I'd say Nintendo has been doing a good job of bringing back its old franchises without breaking them.

Classic Sonic Style Guide
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/a-n ... yle-guide/
Dennis196492

That's the thing, though, DKCTF and SM3DW are completely different from what Rise of Lyric was aiming for, it's a genre of 3D Platforming that hasn't been attempted in this scale for a long time, I'd say it was trying to be more like those platforms like the Ratchet and Clank games and that one Crash Twinsanity game.

Let us not forget also that Nintendo is Nintendo, they have ridiculous quality control over their own products, Sonic Boom was mishandled the worst way possible and the bigger part of the blame should go to no one other than Sega, the way they run things is baffling to me, as if the case with the Comics wasn't enough.