TV Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: TV Thread

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 6589189123

The politics of the series are so contradictory and self-defeating that it ends up saying everything and nothing. Something was definitely going on behind the scenes, more so than usual on these things.

I suspect that certain people making creative decisions on this show held very different political views from other people also making decisions on this show.

I am also pretty certain we'll never know exactly what went down...

There's always some old exec who is a hardcore FOX News guy, and the show/film needs to appeal to him, with plausible deniability.

And as per usual, the US Military gets veto power over storylines in exchange for access.

As someone else noted, there was a pandemic subplot that they cut, which blew huge holes in various motivations.

Visually the Flag Smashers stuff was referencing that heavily, and without it we just have news voiceover stating "The Flag Smashers are popular!" in scene after scene.

I still don't understand the stakes of the conflict, and was waiting to learn what was actually going on with the resettlement issue long after Karli had just started acting like a villain. Someone noted that the people who were blipped would also be refugees, without that help. (This is shown outright with Aunt May in Spider-Man: Far From Home.)

That is to say, it's not obvious that those who were blipped are the privileged class, and the unblipped underprivileged. The pandemic subplot might have cleared that up, but otherwise we have to just take that as gospel when it doesn't map to anything in real-world politics.

"We must preserve the status quo. Anything that isn't centrist is Bad!"

Meanwhile it's actually flailing out in extremes on all directions, trying not to have an opinion on anything. To the point where all the bad guys win.

Also John Walker is not shown as a villain at all in Episode 6, and someone on the team must have fought to make sure of that.

It's trying to do what other Marvel films did better, where you could understand the villain's motivations, and we never actually do, either way. (We do understand John Walker, whether we want to or not.)

There's enough good stuff to carry the show, but at times I had the same sinking feeling as in Rise of Skywalker, as I realized that the most insane, upside-down, alt-right fanterpretation of what the franchise should be was, somehow, what was happening.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I'm looking at the streaming service Night Flight Plus a bit.

It's often-unedited episodes of the 80s-90s late-night music video show.

(And related series FM-TV and Radio 1990)

so it's not uncommon to see stuff which hasn't turned up much since.

including some films ...

"It's Richard I Love," a student film by Nicole Holofcener

and "Speed of Light" by Brian Hansen

and an except from the sketch comedy series "Assaulted Nuts" with William Sadler, Wayne Knight, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Elaine Hausman, Cleo Rocos, Daniel Peacock.

Episodes seem to be heavily cropped at the top though.

Also spotted the Muppet Babies "I'm Gonna Always Love You" music video, the "Dog Police" video, and lots of original commercials (Michael Jackson for Pepsi, be a Coffee Achiever, or join the Ghostbusters).

There's also a Church of the Sub-Genius video (excerpts from "Arise"), "Arnold Escapes From Church" in claymation by Craig Bartlett, "Snowie and the Seven Dorps" (Vincent Cafarelli and Candy Kugel), and Jim Blashfield's "Suspicious Circumstances: An Investigation into the Mysterious Disappearance of Herbert Emilio Junior."

Oh, and Ronnie James Dio performing "Love Is All" in animation for The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast- a classic.

Behind the scenes of Sheena (1984), and a bit of Phil Nibbelink working on The Black Cauldron, Jon Cryer talking about No Small Affair, that sort of thing
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Star Patrol was a Star Trek parody for FOX, directed by Jonathan Frakes and starring Charles Rocket, Paget Brewster, Sara Ramirez, Jason Alexander and Ed O'Neill. It didn't go to series.

https://youtu.be/NFNhwQNsIeY