The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 5

A forum for creative people.
sonicbeta3

Excuse me, does anyone know how to get into contact with Ross Anderson?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 5

He is on Facebook, and his own website.
sonicbeta3

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:46 pm He is on Facebook, and his own website.
I was able to contact him and get some high quality concept art and storyboards, as well as summaries of the 2 second drafts he has for the early version of the film. If anyone want to see them, they can if you guys really want to see them.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I would have discouraged you from bothering him, but if he was happy to share materials with you I'd be happy to see them.
sonicbeta3

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:09 pm I would have discouraged you from bothering him, but if he was happy to share materials with you I'd be happy to see them.
Actually, did it because I wanted to see if he had anything to use as reference material for the facial expressions for a 3D model I had commissioned. Here’s what it looks like.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 7e26b2d4e7&
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... f66accb624&

Also, there wasn’t any hostility, I promise. That’s probably why Yesterworld was able to get production notes for his documentary on the film.
sonicbeta3

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:09 pm I would have discouraged you from bothering him, but if he was happy to share materials with you I'd be happy to see them.
Here ya go.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m7qt1fpq ... f.zip/file
Gwentastic

Sorry for bumping, but it's a shame to see the thread inactive - I wonder how the project is currently coming along, if it's on pause or not.
You can find me at
https://twitter.com/realgwentastic
and
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCabzpw ... 9xcuSXW0ow

Just a regular autistic transbian wanting to create creative endeavors.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Gwentastic wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 am Sorry for bumping, but it's a shame to see the thread inactive - I wonder how the project is currently coming along, if it's on pause or not.
Don't feel bad about bumping. My original intention, for a lot of "anniversary year" reasons, was to finish The Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut Mk 5 in 2023, and the Mark 5 WIP posted to Youtube (in June) represents some version of that. Apart from some attempts at upscaling certain scenes, which didn't get finished, that is basically the finished edit ... apart from our plans to create new animation for the film.

Creating the new animation, of course, was the sticking point. I had already done several years of work on the new restoration.

A major animation project is not normally done by one guy, and I'd hoped this would be more of a group effort. I started doing the new animation because Dennis Van Hout and Kiko Pablo had done some excellent new shots, and indeed both have animated some very nice shots which are not present in the WIP Mark 5. (A shot of Yum Yum that took Dennis a lot of time, and for Kiko a shot of Tack that isn't finished, and a shot of Zigzag that I ended up finishing myself.)

Aside from that, I'm just one guy. I'm 43 years old, and I'm very tired. The work that I do does not get much reaction online, and that includes posting the WIP Mark 5 back in June. There is not much social media reaction to any of my work, apart from those who immediately steal it, and the donations I get on Patreon for this are about $100 a month. My expenses are about $3000 a month. I don't have access to decent health care. I am endlessly working on these projects and it's a long and difficult grind. And I'm not really getting the support or encouragement I need.

I am doing my best under the circumstances. I have occasionally posted monthly updates on how it's all going on Patreon, and here.

It is hard, under the circumstances, to not simply burn out on these projects, and as a coping tactic I tend to switch to a different project every month or three or five, to try to keep the material somewhat fresh.

I released a WIP of the film on June 20 2023, although my animated contributions were not entirely ready. It became clear while doing the edit that there was a lot wrong with the scenes, and they all needed to be redone. I have since improved the material but it's been a lot of work and there are still issues. I asked a few animation experts for advice but didn't get anything specific. There are clearly moments in these scenes that need some intervention from an expert, to inject a little more quality into it.

I continued to work on this up until September, at which point I switched to a personal project for awhile, designing a cast of characters for a possible video game and mini-comic project that I'd like to get back to. I went back to The Thief animation periodically, including around Christmas 2023.

I feel like people who follow my work, only follow one thing. I'm working all the time, but I think people act like I'm vanishing for years at a time because I haven't released a final version of the one thing they're following. It would fill in a lot of blanks to follow my work overall, or at least get a sense of it, even if you're not interested.

I did many new edits and restored music videos from The Rutles (1978), as The Rutles Remonstered. This was a Beatles parody by Eric Idle with music by Neil Innes. There is one final video in this series, a punchline, which I did not finish ... oops. I moved on to other stuff. I preserved the seven View Master Interactive Vision VHS tapes, which took about two months of video rendering and a lot of editing, and are now on Archive (tygerbug). These are Muppet, Sesame Street and Disney related. I also restored the first/second appearances of Miss Piggy and Gonzo, on a Herb Alpert special and the Tonight Show. I did an overly ambitious restoration of a short Muppet Show trailer. There was other film restoration stuff too. An MST3K related edit (The Giant of Marathon), a Goodies edit (part of Commonwealth Games in colour), and "Fred Ott's Sneeze" restored.

All of this was intended as a change of pace when I'd burnt out too much on the Thief material. I returned to the Thief material this week, with no memory of where I'd left off. I think I'm up to speed now. While I had originally "finished" the many new scenes in color for the WIP, it was clear when watching them that a lot more work needed to be done, or redone. So I went back to the line art for these scenes, and have done lots of inbetweens and corrections, totaling hundreds of new frames. I am still working on this. It's very difficult to get to the quality level that the film needs.

Feel free to support this project vocally on social media in some way.

Should I be this honest? I don't know.
Ebridger26

Will anything eventually be done about removing all the film dirt and splices?