The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Within the past few days I've inked one hundred and sixteen pages of promotional art for (and from) The Thief and the Cobbler.

I've mostly done this while streaming live on Youtube. I also assembled, corrected and digitally colored the first eight pieces of this artwork, including recoloring a Thief from 2006. The result was intended to look like cels from the film, depicting its major characters.

It was also intended to replace promotional artwork I inked back in 2006, for the original Recobbled Cut DVD covers, which I felt is not up to my current standards and could be much improved now. I assembled a new poster and DVD cover for the film, as well as a similar cover for the Thief and the Cobbler Nintendo (NES/Famicom) game I released recently.

I will probably assemble and retouch the rest of this artwork as line art, but not color it. I may color some of it. I am considering creating a coloring book with this material.

I was inking over sources that varied widely in quality. That included my own inks from 2006 in some cases, or low quality screenshots which I'd pencilled over digitally, or otherwise reworked in Photoshop. That included character images assembled from multiple sources. In some cases I was working from good scans of actual line art from the film, or small patchy xeroxes of it. In all cases I inked at a large size to try to retain as much detail as possible.

Also:

I am now soliciting Thief and the Cobbler pixel art to be used for nonograms.

This would be black and white pixel art (those two colors only!), with black areas to anchor the pixels wherever possible, up to 50x50 in size but usually around 25x25.

Other Thief and the Cobbler related puzzles and brain teasers would theoretically be accepted.
DaveHolmes

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:45 pm LM and I have been working on downloading and organizing the massive collection of Thief and the Cobbler artwork provided at The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences site.

LM did a lot of organizing work, but the Academy has now uploaded more material, from both the Williams and Calvert productions, so here is our raw download of all that material.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j3AbK ... oO-9Qrcd7w

We've downloaded this as best we could. LM wrote all of the code for the download (compiling sources pulled from the Academy site), then I rewrote the code and downloaded the material. (I'm busy with other projects right now so this was appreciated.)

These are, more or less, in reverse order, as they downloaded. Which means the actual order is a little bit jumbled throughout but not too far off.

There is, I think, a page mostly featuring the Brigands which repeats, suggesting we copy/pasted the same page twice at one point.

There are also about 108 errors where something didn't download, and an XML file downloaded instead - more so toward the end. I've included these in order in case we can figure out what the issue was. (Any typo in the code would have resulted in this, although maybe there weren't pictures there to begin with.)
Did these files ever get sorted/labeled, and if so, could you share the labeled files?

Thanks
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

LM organized and labeled the files at the time.

I kept several copies on my hard drive because I wasn't sure if one version was missing stuff that others had. It got a little confusing.

They're part of the ... eighth Thief and the Cobbler Scrapbook, which I think I uploaded to my Archive with the others.

More recently I created a Photoshop file to theoretically make the watermarks less visible, though I only used it once to date.
DaveHolmes

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:00 pmThey're part of the ... eighth Thief and the Cobbler Scrapbook, which I think I uploaded to my Archive with the others.
That's a negative - only 7 scrapbooks - you did a separate AMPAS art collection upload but there's only like 500 images in there, and it's a duplicate of the second link here:
Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:27 pm Here is the massive collection of Thief and the Cobbler artwork found at The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences site, as downloaded by me and painstakingly sorted into a more sensible order by LM.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z0ewii4o ... 1.zip/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/22lgm5k1 ... 1.zip/file
Currently the AMPAS website results show ~4000 images and includes stuff like all the inked backgrounds which aren't in any of your or LM's uploads - I'm guessing they've scanned more stuff in the past 3 years than whatever was available when you tried to download everything with a script

Including the unlabeled zip file with ~1000 images and the ~500 files that LM labeled, we're missing ~2500 images

I'm trying to organize them myself, but if someone's already did the hard work I won't object to assistance lol
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

On my HD there's a 310 MB version and an 821 MB version, both organized by LM. The latter I have a duplicate of apparently, probably with different organization. It's 1095 files I think.

Available here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There are some color backgrounds in there; LM says there probably hasn't been any new uploads, but it would be hard to tell at this point unless we spot something not in the current collection.

Also available on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thiefan ... ter=albums

Here is the Oscars site where you can run a search for "Arabian Knight" or "Cobbler," which currently gives 4348 results.
https://collections.new.oscars.org/Deta ... e/70171893

At the time, a lot of the listings had no image although they may have been updated since. Having 4348 results does not mean 4348 images. If you skip ahead to later pages you'll notice they tend to have no images. Our search at the time was exhaustive.

Here is a collection we put together of URLs to the images found when searching for "Arabian Knight." This was how we downloaded the material at the time. It no longer seems to work, but may give you an idea of intended URL format.
https://pastebin.com/K3hXz1Cy

Probably current format:
https://collections.new.oscars.org/reve ... format=jpg
DaveHolmes

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:58 am Available here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
THANK YOU
Frogacuda

Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:55 am
How have newer tools like Topaz AI Video Enhance changed the way that you approach restoration projects? What difference do you think a product like that would have made if you had access to it when working on The Recobbled Cut?
It wouldn't have affected The Recobbled Cut, at least in the state the technology currently exists in. I am not impressed by current versions of Topaz AI Video Enhance, or other animation-based upscalers I've seen. The tech will probably get better before too long.

There is an AI upscale of Arabian Knight floating around that someone did which does not meet my standards.
I would say at this point user error is giving AI upscaling a lot of its bad rap. People are 1000 percent dumb about how they use this tool and what it's capable of. Usually a combination of poor sources/pretreatment, zero understanding of settings (i.e. "maxing everything), and pushing it past where the tech is viable (going from a VHS or 480 DVD directly up to 4K in one pass, for example). The results are usually horrifying.

For example, I recently came across this absolute horror show mangling a classic anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzscpreJUNM

Admittedly a difficult subject to get to 4K, an SD-only anime (480p) with a tremendous amount of detail and scenes with artificial noise/static obscuring them. But to prove a point, I spent a night futzing with it and came up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5cwK9R_9CA

Both of us used the same tool (Topaz), just one of us understood how to use that tool. The result isn't perfect, and again this is difficult source material being upscaled 400%, so it's far from an ideal use case. If I was the sort of person who spent years remastering a movie frame by frame, I would surely tweak my upscale shot-for-shot to smooth out some of the problematic outliers. But my point here is that it's a much more useful too than you'd think, especially in the hands of someone who cares to get it right.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

That does look fine, especially in the noiseless scenes. And, as you say, better than the first video linked, which is nothing but upscale artifacts.

I suppose noise could be removed from the intentionally noisy scenes to ease the process.
DaveHolmes

Frogacuda wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:15 am For example, I recently came across this absolute horror show mangling a classic anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzscpreJUNM
Reminds me of the recent YouTube trend the past few years of everyone uploading songs with the vocals removed since there's a zillion apps to do it now.

I was using filters in Goldwave 20 years ago that did the exact same thing - and they had the exact same limitations (artifacts left behind, dynamics missing, etc.) - you have to actually dick around with EQ to make it sound decent

Just throwing everything through a filter and calling it a day is horribly lazy
Frogacuda

DaveHolmes wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:43 pm Reminds me of the recent YouTube trend the past few years of everyone uploading songs with the vocals removed since there's a zillion apps to do it now.

I was using filters in Goldwave 20 years ago that did the exact same thing - and they had the exact same limitations (artifacts left behind, dynamics missing, etc.) - you have to actually dick around with EQ to make it sound decent

Just throwing everything through a filter and calling it a day is horribly lazy
Right. In addition to having models like Proteus that allow for a lot of tweaking to find the sweet spot for a given input, there are a lot of things you can do to mitigate, like doing multiple passes with different settings or models and layering them, as well as "stepping up" to larger resolutions in 200% increments, instead of trying to do it all in one pass.

Working with good source material and processing it correctly is also a big one, you know people using bad deinterlacing or telecine methods or leaving blended frames and such.
Garrett Gilchrist wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:47 pm I suppose noise could be removed from the intentionally noisy scenes to ease the process.
Not very helpful in this case, actually. In this case the "noise", while easy enough to remove, would be impossible to put back in as it's not really random noise but a pretty distinctive texture/sequence overlaid on the scene. And, when you remove it, you'd find the loss of detail and the impact that has on the scene quite noticeable.

If you watch the original, the AI has mostly done a good job of reproducing the noise effect. It's weird looking, but it's been preserved faithfully. It does, of course, have an impact on what's underneath the noise, and these scenes are a LOT more sensitive to artifacts, which is why I have dialed the sharpening and de-blur way down in these parts. You can still spot some parts where it gets a little wonky, though, again this was a demo I made in an evening, so I wasn't trying for perfect, just better.