Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

The Raggedy Ann Broadway musical, at last. 1984-1986. Starring Ivy Austin. Music by Joe Raposo, book by William Gibson.

https://archive.org/details/raggedy-ann ... oe-raposo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKPIhcrHb9Q

Raggedy Ann: The Musical Adventure (aka Rag Dolly) is a dark fantasy musical with a book by William Gibson and music and lyrics by Joe Raposo. It is based on the children's stories by Johnny Gruelle and is loosely related to the 1977 feature film Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure, which included several of the same songs. The story centers on Marcella, a dying young girl whose toys come to life and take her on a magical adventure to meet The Doll Doctor, in hopes that he can mend her broken heart. The show created a controversy in Albany in 1984. It was a renowned sensation in Moscow in 1985. It was a notorious flop on Broadway in 1986. By 2021 it went on to develop a cult following through bootleg recordings.

Ambitious young fans have recently been gathering rare production materials in a preservation effort to ensure an American revival.

(The 1977 animated film Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure, directed by Richard Williams, was rereleased in 2008 and 2021 by film restorationist Garrett Gilchrist. Despite a related effort by researcher Vinnie Rattolle, information about the 1984-1986 Rag Dolly stage musical was hard to come by until about 2020.)

Raggedy Ann (AKA Rag Dolly) opened on Broadway in the Nederlander Theatre on October 16th, 1986 and closed on October 19th, 1986. With a book by William Gibson (of The Miracle Worker fame) and music by Joe Raposo (best known for his work on Sesame Street), the show had a history of controversy due to its dark themes and subject matter. Due to its failed broadway run, the show faded into obscurity and became lost.

The show starred Ivy Austin as Raggedy Ann. It was performed in Moscow as a cultural outreach project, as detailed in the documentary "Rag Dolly in the USSR."

In February 2021, the Raggedy Ann Revival Effort (RARE) was formed. It is a group of volunteer lost media enthusiasts and theatre fans dedicated to preserving and reviving this lost musical. Since the founding of the group, several scripts, photos, a full recording of one of the performances, and other media have been recovered.

On September 1st, a full recording of a performance from the first ESIPA production obtained by RARE was uploaded to the Rag Dolly youtube channel. This footage has not seen the light of day since 1984. What make this particular production interesting is that this run of the show was closed early due to a parent who went to the local news station to warn others not to bring their children to see the show.

Even though video footage of the full show has been found, the search is not over. RARE is still looking for licensing and copyright for a potential revival, as well as rumored video of the Kennedy Center, Moscow, and Broadway productions of the musical.

Act I
"Overture" – Orchestra
"Gingham and Yarn" – Company
"Carry On" – Poppa
"Diagnosis" – Doctors
"The Light" – Marcella and Dolls
"Make Believe" – Raggedy Ann & General D. (Broadway only)
"Blue" – The Camel & Raggedy Ann
"Mexico" (Raggedy Andy and company, ESIPA only)
"Make Believe (reprise 1)" – Raggedy Ann, Marcella, Dolls & Company
"Make Believe (reprise 2)" – Raggedy Ann & Marcella
"Quiet Night/ Something in the Air" – Company
"Delighted" – Clouds
"So Beautiful" – Raggedy Ann, Marcella & Clouds
"A Heavenly Chorus" – Yellow Yum-Yum
"The Shooting Star" – Mommy, Poppa, and The Rat in the Rolls Royce
"The Wedding" – Company
"Rag Dolly" – Raggedy Ann
Act II
"Gingham and Yarn (reprise)" – Company
"You'll Never Get Away/You'll Love It" – Bat, Raggedy Andy & the Batettes
"A Little Music" – Marcella, Raggedy Ann and Dolls
"Gone" – Dolls & Company
"Why Not?" – Mommy
"What Did I Lose?" – Mommy
"Somewhere" – Raggedy Ann
"Welcome to L.A." – Nurses
"Diagnosis (reprise)" – Doctors
"I Come Riding" – General D.
"Gingham and Yarn (reprise)" – Company
"Rag Dolly (Finale)" – Cast

Cast

Doctors: Gary O. Aldrich, Scott Evans and William McClary, or Gary O. Aldrich, Joe Barrett and Neal Ben-Ari, or Joe Barrett, Dick Decareau and Richard Ryder

Poppa / The Doll Doctor: MacIntyre Dixon, Gibby Brand, Bob Morrisey

Marcella: Tricia Brooks, Lisa Rieffel

Raggedy Ann: Ivy Austin

Raggedy Andy: Scott Schafer

Baby Doll: Carolyn Marble Valentis

Panda: Jeanne Vigliante, Michelan Sisti

General D.: Paul Haggard, David Schramm, Leo Burmester

Bat / Yellow Yum-Yum (aka Tweety): Pamela Sousa, Gail Benedict

Wolf / Red Fang: Tom Pleto, Gordon Weiss

Camel with the Wrinkled Knees: Joel Aroeste

Mommy / Witch: Elizabeth Austin
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I am working hard on the Ultra HD release of the 1977 Raggedy Ann & Andy film directed by Richard Williams. A version of this has already been released, but among other things, no restoration had been done to one very damaged reel change as Sir Leonard Looney introduces King Koo Koo.

I have been working on this, and have already fixed all the worst of the damage. I've also managed to salvage certain frames from the 2008 DVD master, restoring some footage that the UHD is missing. This uses AI upscaling and lots of Photoshop tricks to roughly match quality.

Others have noted that the audio has issues, and I'll be looking at that. I have recaptured [redacted]'s 35mm film audio as captured in 2007, including "Disco Dolly."

I don't recall if I used that or the VHS audio for the 2008 DVD, or both.

At any rate, various scenes will be more complete and more restored in this presentation, including the ending to Candy Hearts which I haven't done yet, and I think all of reel one.

But today I'm focusing on the rest of one shot of Sir Leonard Looney, which I've been working on for several days (and already finished the worst of).
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

After several days work, I've completed Photoshop cleanup of the damaged scene in the 1977 film where Sir Leonard Looney introduces King Koo Koo.

There's a couple of other scenes I'm still looking at, but it should be possible soon to have a new edit of this film, replacing the already-released UHD.

These scenes are present in the VHS and in my 2008 DVD apart from a few frames here and there. But since they occur at reel changes, there is a lot of damage in the UHD which has to be fixed by hand.

They're usually not present in the leaked Public Domain Blu-Ray (where there was more damage, and the shot in question is often just missing entirely).

I already fixed the reel changes in the UHD apart from this one, as you can see in the restoration comparison.

However, this new version will have more footage, missing from the first UHD, like an extra second before they call for Babette to come out of her house, which I've salvaged from my 2008 DVD master.

It was typical for a 35mm film reel, projected in theaters, to be 1000 feet long, or about 11 minutes. These reels would often be spliced together into one longer presentation.

A black circle is burned into each reel for a few frames before the change, at the upper right, to signal this timing to the projectionist or editor. Known as cigarette burns, these appear twice- once as a warning to get ready, and once to switch reels now. Countdown footage (10, 9, 8, 7, 6) has a similar function.

Since only the beginning and ending of these reels were really handled or spliced, and there is more tension on the reel at the very end of that presentation, it is common for the film to be more damaged and dirty at these points, and to break at these points, and either be missing footage or be spliced back together with adhesive tape of some kind.

Before digital editing, film editing was done with a guillotine/razor device and tape, in what was known as a workprint, where every shot is spliced together, as a guide for how the film should be edited later, conformed using less dirty means (generally a form of chemical glue).

I've done this myself when working with film about 20 years ago.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

If you tuned into the Chuck Jones Christmas Raggedy Ann special in 1980, you'd have seen these ads at the very end, and a newsbreak about the murder of musician John Lennon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDR-cV0hlc

Lawrence Welk featured Raggedy Ann & Andy for Christmas 1966 and Halloween 1975.
https://youtu.be/iEv9OBlTgIY?t=475
https://tv.azpm.org/schedules/episode/50645/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549483/?ref_=ttkw_kw_tt
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 8611330053

Angel Gonzales asks:
When you're working on restorations, do you try to get a cel or background setup from the original production so that you know the original/intended colors? Or is there another way to tell if the colors are accurate to how they were intended?
There is really no objective way to determine the colors of a film beyond basic common sense. Any translation to digital (or from one format to another) has to be played by eye. For the most part colorwise I am presenting the film as transferred, since I trust the guy who did it-

-but also because I have a philosophy of "working with what you have, and what is presented to you." Doing heavy color correction would present new problems or show flaws in the transfer process that aren't currently obvious, and this is already the best transfer of the film in existence.

(It does lack contrast, intentionally so that highlights and lowlights are not crushed. That can be messed with in the projection.)

During an early stretch of reel one, I have split the difference-colorwise-between this transfer and an alternate transfer I am using to fill gaps, to bring out the greens in the live action footage. Otherwise I am presenting this transfer as it was presented to me, but restored.

The earlier 35mm Blu-Ray transfer that's floating around now is much more contrasty, more saturated and more yellow. The 2008 DVD was very blue- a rougher transfer of a cleaner print. They're all very different. I'm happy enough with this transfer not to mess with it right now.

A lot can be done in color correction. But if I wasn't happy with the color, color correcting it could make those flaws worse, as much as it might make them better. I wasn't happy with The Thief and the Cobbler War Machine 35mm scenes, but there's only so much that can be done.

The material is very red, and the more subtle qualities of luminance that I'm looking for just don't exist in the transfer.

That being said, I have been planning on doing something different with those War Machine scenes, and I will likely get to that when I'm done with other projects.
theirongiant

Staring at the screen too long? :-)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure 1977 35mm Ultra HD

Transferred from 35mm film in UHD by Helge Bernhardt and restored by Garrett Gilchrist.

New version 2 with 30 minutes of additional cleanup, often done by hand in Photoshop, frame by frame, to remove dirt and damage.

https://archive.org/details/raggedyannandy1977hd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96wpXCVOHic

Restoration comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzIDMkndSkQ

I also used automatic Photoshop differencing processes that I'd created to remove dirt while retaining grain. This made it easier to remove dirt from shots animated on "twos," or where I'd run a soft filter over the fine dirt. Once I'd created a version of the frame which lacked dirt, my process would compare this with the raw frame and only include the most obvious differences between the two, while retaining grain and other fine details. So a similar frame without dirt could be compared to a frame with dirt, while still retaining some grain structure and subtle differences. I could even blast it with filters to an extent, and then get all that detail back.

We did our first DVD of Raggedy Ann 1977 in 2007-8.

After 11 years of discussion, we officially started work on the Ultra HD version two years ago.

I released Super Mario Bros: The Morton Jankel Cut around June 1, 2021, and then worked on Raggedy Ann 1977 UHD for six months.

We did a DVD release in 2008, and were vaguely/tangentially/not-really involved in a "Public Domain/Grey Market" Blu-Ray release and series of 35mm leaks a few years ago, so I wouldn't say it's been impossible to find before now ...

... but this is the release where we really made sure we got it right.

Our 2008 Raggedy Ann DVD is also still the only public release of The Little Island (1958).

Ironically our 2008 Raggedy Ann DVD release was from a less damaged 35mm print - that we didn't negotiate to use this time round - but I didn't realize that until the 2021 transfer had been done. It took a lot of restoration to really get it up to standard. There's even a few frames in the 2021 master upscaled from the 2008 SD master (very heavy Photoshop), when those frames weren't present in the reels we used, due to damage at reel changes (the 2008 master was also damaged at these points, but less so). I think there's a frame or two borrowed from the VHS also. Some of reel one has missing footage replaced from a similar source as the PD Blu-Ray.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Chuck Jones' "Raggedy Ann: The Pumpkin Who Couldn't Smile," and others ....
https://archive.org/details/disney-chan ... ween-block