Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

I'm just a rag, Dolly
https://youtu.be/7GxHUG1f2m0?t=10
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

"Hey Babette!" Andy imitates Lou Costello (1906-1959)

This is something of a parody of a parody, since Warner Bros had a Bob Clampett-created duo (portrayed variously as cats, mice and dogs) in which the Bud Abbott character is called "Babbit"

This may even have been a reference to animator Art Babbitt -- maybe not in its Looney Tunes form, but more likely here, as Babbitt was a teaching master animator on this film, working on The Camel

As shown in the documentary "Animating Art"
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

https://archive.org/details/raggedyannandy1977hd

Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure 1977 35mm HD

Transferred from 35mm film in UHD and restored by Helge Bernhardt and Garrett Gilchrist.

Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure is a 1977 American live-action/animated musical fantasy film directed by Richard Williams, produced by the Bobbs-Merrill Company, a publishing arm of ITT, and released theatrically by 20th Century Fox.

https://archive.org/details/raggedyanna ... arison.mp4

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 3138396161
https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 5478116355
https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 686051331/

Editing notes: The reels were transferred by Helge Bernhardt using a Blackmagic Cintel Gen2. This eliminated most black dirt from the transfer, leaving mainly white emulsion scratches as "snow."

Phoenix digital dirt removal processes were then run on the first four minutes of Reel One ​by Helge Bernhardt, up to and including the opening credits. This was very effective and I hoped we would do more of this, but other projects got in the way.

The transfer, as expected, gets dirtier at the beginning and end of reels, and one or two minutes of footage was isolated around reel changes for further work, much of it done by hand in Photoshop by Garrett Gilchrist, including the removal of reel markers, splices, and heavy damage around the actual reel changes.

Hundreds of frames were cleaned by hand, with sixteen minutes of the film originally targeted for cleanup, and then the entirety of Reel One and the closing credits.

Automatic work was also done via PFClean. However, PFClean was unable to handle changes on "ones" (including special effects like the flickering when the Captain sings 'You're My Friend'). Phoenix would almost certainly have done a better job with this material. Garrett analyzed the automatic PFClean work frame by frame, to remove sections with faster movement where the line work would be damaged.

Garrett then did further work frame by frame in Photoshop, and occasionally shot stabilization in After Effects.

Reel One was considered the most problematic. We have scanned about four different prints of reel one, and all are dirty and missing some footage. While I was impressed by our "A-Print" Reel One scan, an alternate Reel One scan was also done by Helge, with thanks to someone who does not want to be credited.

While the previous scan was darker and bluer, this scan was brighter, more contrasty and more yellow, losing some highlight detail and clarity. It was also a much dirtier scan. FemBoyFilms handled Phoenix digital dirt removal processes on this version of Reel One, in full.

The cleaned-up result was good, but since this scan is considered lower quality, it is only used briefly in this edit. It's used for the 20th Century Fox logo (with heavy cleanup by Garrett Gilchrist), briefly as Marcella shakes the snowglobe, and as Marcella closes the roof of her dollhouse. It is also used for color during the live action segments in the first two minutes of the film, for richer yellow and green tones.

Sound used here is from the prints as scanned. It is possible that previous scans of this film are superior in that regard, but that's a matter of taste and hard to pin down. (That would include the retail VHS, the KA scan, the PD Rag Doll Blu Ray/35mm leak ... I forget which we used on the 2007 DVD.)

Investigations into the copyright status of this film revealed that the necessary paperwork is now lost or unavailable. A large company like Disney, which owns FOX now, or Paramount, which owns CBS now, could probably paper over those gaps to release the film. Smaller companies we've spoken to couldn't figure it out. ITT, which produced the film, was heavily associated with the US government. It was something of a scandal at the time. So some have argued that the film could be considered in the public domain, saying it would at least partially belong to the people of the US, save the various licenses (Gruelle family and Joe Raposo).

I don't know whether I would personally take the risk and argue that, but that is certainly an argument that someone could make.

Production services with thanks to Tim Finn and Jonathan Baylis.

Ken M the Outcast writes:
Not unlike 4K77, I can't picture an official Disney/FOX release looking any better.
You've preserved the integrity of the original really nicely. No monkeying around with the colors or the grain.
ThiefFan

You think you might clean up the movie some more?
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I am doing one more revision, mainly to clean up Reel One further.

For historical purposes I've added my now-outdated 2008 standard definition master of the 1977 Raggedy Ann & Andy movie to Archive. I've released an Ultra HD version at the same channel which I'm still tinkering with, which has obviously replaced it.

https://archive.org/details/raggedyannandy19772008

The Chuck Jones Raggedy Ann specials in 1978-79 directly followed the 1977 movie, so that had a strange effect on any other material published at that time. The Chuck Jones designs for Raggedy Ann and any character from those specials tend to mingle, on merchandise, with art and designs from the 1977 film, as well as more traditional (or at least late-seventies) takes on the characters and their world.

This storybook uses Chuck Jones-ish designs for Raggedy Ann & Andy, as well as what is basically the 1977 Babette, and other characters (like Clem) in the artist's sketchier, more realistic style.

https://archive.org/details/raggedyannandyst0000grue

SS writes:
Since the CIA paid to make it, it seems it would at least partially belong to the people of the US, save the various licenses (Gruelle Family and Joe Raposo).
(Not speculation at all). Talked with Dick [Williams]. A friend had visited him and talked about how the CIA had funded the film. When I was talking with Dick about Emery [Hawkins] being fired, I asked if that was the CIA. Dick's hands went in the air and he said loudly "those were the guys!!" and started to tell a story. His wife quickly came over and said "we're not going to talk about that right now". Later, while I was at the national archives searching for Private Snafu materials, I made a request to see material related to the CIA, ITT and Raggedy Ann and Andy. The freedom of information act is a wonderful thing. ITT was in trouble in GB and the states for being a front for the CIA. This led to the assassination of a candidate in South America, leaving egg on the face of ITT. They produced some childen's programing to show they are a solid company with family values (and, of course, that idea is as ham-handed as it sounds). The programs were the Big Blue Marble and the animated feature Raggedy Ann and Andy. Raggedy Ann was to be released, at the latest, in the summer of 1976, in time for the big celebrations for the Bi-Centennial of the US. ITT bought Bobbs-Merrill for this purpose. Once the film was finished, they sold the Raggedy Ann film for $10 to Bobbs-Merrill and, somehow, allowed their assets to be sold back to itself. It is now owned by Random House. This is public record, and there's many, many pages (thousands). I've just seen a handful.
GG writes:
I've heard versions of this story from others. ITT's connection as an arm of the US govt is well known, during the 1973 Chilean coup d'état in particular.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

I am still working on the edit so there's still a little time for fixing stuff that's still damaged or missing.

I have cleaned up (but not edited) all of Reel One with another automatic pass, and have been doing more manual work on "You're My Friend" (The Captain) which is really difficult and slow to do.

There's also the question of which scenes are missing footage compared to the 2008 DVD and the PD Blu Ray.

I'm also concerned with the sound, which I haven't really checked yet.

"You're in the court of King Koo Koo," present in the UHD at 55:45.

The 2008 DVD master is much less damaged at that point, although still damaged and spliced similarly. It contains four unique frames of Sir Leonard Looney not present in the UHD. The PD is missing this line entirely.

The VHS is more complete than other sources at this point.

The 2008 DVD used a print that's basically less damaged throughout, but we didn't use that particular print this time.

It's common for 35mm film prints to be dirtier and more damaged around reel changes, and to be missing footage at that point, perhaps from where the film broke and had to be taped back together.

The 2008 DVD source is the only one I've actually seen in a theater.

There's also about 5 unique frames in the DVD, not in the current UHD, after "You're My Friend" as Andy prepares a periscope (1:09:40 in the UHD). Again I will try to restore these.

The panning-shot ending of "You're My Friend" is longer in the UHD than the DVD, since missing frames during the pan were recreated in Photoshop.

At 47:42 in the UHD, a reel change during "The Greedy" is again absent in the PD Blu-Ray, and more complete in the 2008 DVD.

Since drawings are reused in a shot of the Camel stuck in taffy, this only really amounts to one unique drawing in the DVD, although the shot is clearly more complete. The UHD also has exactly one drawing of the Greedy that the DVD (and VHS!) lacks.

The end shot of Reel One is about a second longer on the 2008 DVD (!)

While the ending of "Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers" is clearly missing a few frames, it is more complete in the UHD than in previous releases. It's longer than the PD Blu-Ray by almost two seconds, and longer than the 2008 DVD by about three seconds. It is, however, complete on the VHS.

I did a VHS-to-DVD transfer at one point I think, and probably have it somewhere, but digging it up for a few frames is grumble grumble
theirongiant

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Happy (belated) Birthday to the Rag Dollies!

I have been following this thread for a while and made an account just to tell you that the new UHD restoration looks better than any previous version I've seen to date. How many of the six 35mm prints did you use for it?

I first became interested in "Thief" from a post on the Movies / TV section of the Something Awful forums more than a decade ago. Clearly Richard Williams had many loyal fans. More recently, I discovered the "Recobbled" cut from an illicit source. Then I found "Raggedyscope" a few years ago. Then I came across the 35mm dirty restoration, which led me here.

Thanks for your dedication to this project. You're doing right by Richard Williams' work, which was so criminally under appreciated.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

the new UHD restoration looks better than any previous version I've seen to date.
Thank you, I'd be very disappointed if it didn't. I'm still working on it to an extent. (A reel change in Looney Land, reel one in general, missing frames at reel changes)

It appears that the print used for the 2008 DVD was less damaged (although missing footage during the first two minutes).

But with a LOT of digital restoration we've brought this up to a very high standard.

Patrick McCart used to post heavily at SomethingAwful about these films. I didn't post there because I'd get trolled horribly when I did - Patrick too but he seemed to just accept it.

You can download materials directly from my archives here.
https://archive.org/details/@ocpmovie