Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

A forum for creative people.

Re: Little Shop: Breakdown of late Original Cut of Film

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 pm

I thought nothing else in 2017 could surprise me, and yet. . .

Reworked Version of Little Shop of Horrors, From Ellen Greene and Frank Oz, Blocked Due to Rights Issues
In short, based on the success of the Encores Off-Center production, Ellen Greene and Frank Oz were quietly working on a possible New York revival of Little Shop, which would've blended aspects of the film into the stage version, for two years before Howard's estate learned of it and shut down the idea. (On her website, Howard's sister Sarah has mentioned multiple times her stance on not letting anyone tamper with Howard's stage script, and her view that the stage musical is Howard Ashman's vision of Little Shop, while the film is Frank Oz's.) This is also the first publicised mention of a possible NY production of the show that's in early talks, that Sarah has also mentioned in the past.

Mr Mushnik wrote:Someone was kind enough to upload the single version of Dentist!

https://youtu.be/YtoisWwyKFo

I'm digging the alternate, more sinister bassline. Also, a bonus lyric @1:57 from Howard "he's (strictly?)?? a medical mess" (Howard must have really liked the flow of this phrase as he uses "ethical mess" in "Arabian Nights" on Aladdin). I'm dying to know if there are other recordings out there with alternate arrangements like this, though it looks like all the other singles are just the soundtrack versions.

I'm wondering how much input Howard had with the single. This pretty much just repeats a verse and the new line does feel a bit too tacked too me, though it is just as likely someone asked him for a new chunk they could record with the girls without Steve Martin. And I haven't listened to any of the other single versions I had found in so long, though I do seem to recall hearing that another one had a slightly different arrangement. (Though I could just be remembering hearing about this.)
Mr Mushnik wrote:oh man I think I want to see this more than I ever did the colorized original ending. Do any of the workprints contain the full version of Mean Green Mother? How's the backing music track compared to the one on the director's cut?

I don't think they do. I just took a look at the rest of my notes and all the workprint of Mean Green Mother only had the lyrics that were in the final film, only with some extra / alternate vocalizations. And this final version may have had something closer to the final arrangement, though I can't be certain. I didn't take that many notes on the music because I knew it be a bit hard for me to pick out a synth track from an orchestration.
JustinHoskie

Re: Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

Postby JustinHoskie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm

One of my main goals with my trip to DC last year was to look into the original campy score that Howard and Alan abandoned (which I lovingly refer to as Little Shoppe), and ever since, I've been on the lookout in the materials I have for any info. So far, I've come up empty-handed and I haven't been able to find much of anything. Sarah Gillespie, Howard's sister, mentioned in the old version of her website that she thinks the abandoned score was probably just some song sketches, and from the looks of things, it looks like it might have been nothing more than a few songs that were mixed in with the basic score we have now.

The only materials I was able to find related to Little Shoppe were lyric sheets to the two songs already known from this abandoned approach, "Feed Me" and "The Audrey II Song," as well as a demo to "Feed Me," and a demo to "The Audrey II Song" made during production on the movie.

In terms of story materials, the only mention of "Feed Me" I've found is in Howard's original typed, undated outline, when the Plant is begging Seymour to feed it during the scene before Audrey comes into the shop to check on Seymour. The Audrey II Song isn't mentioned outright in any outline or drafts of the libretto, though it was recycled and used in drafts of the screenplay, during the TV scene where it's sung by singers and dancers in a scene partially inspired by "Hello, Dolly" and "Mame." Because of this, I've always thought it was written early on, around the time of "Feed Me," as just a basic character song with no real place in the story that got cut before it was worked into the story.

Well, I just went over the ending in Howard's typed outline -- the same one that mentions "Feed Me" -- for the project I'm working on, and found this section, just after Audrey's death:
"Outside the shop, as Crsytal and Ronnette sings the prasies of Audrey II, we see Seymour collecting the instruments of her destruction. (MUSICAL SEQUENCE) As they keep singing about how wonderful Audrey II is, Seymour comes by with an axe, a saw, scissors, cyanide, a blow torch, etc. He is now bent on the plant's destruction...soon as the photographer's from Life leave."

A musical sequence where The Urchins sing the praises of Audrey II.

"The Audrey II Song" -- "When it's time to pick a pet flower, who's the shrub we love?" -- is a song that sings the praises of Audrey II.

I'm not in any way exaggerating when I say a chill ran down my spine and that I might have gasped and clutched imaginary pearls.
JustinHoskie

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room