Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 am

The creator of these characters died in 1938. As far as I know, Steve has made many calls to sort the rights out without success. Hm.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 am

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to crowdfund an unrestored-ish HD transfer of Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (1977).

We have access to about six complete prints of the film and an HD or 4K version has been planned for at least six years. (Indeed there is one unrestored HD reel on Youtube from Helge, as well as the Greedy sequence from Steve.)

The amount of restoration required would be vast, and so we wanted to get the rights to actually do the work for a commercially-sold Blu-Ray. Steve Stanchfield of Thunderbean has been inquiring about the rights to the film, which are a muddle and a mystery. I don't know whether I would be involved if he was able to get those rights. He'd probably do it on his own.

Helge Bernhardt has access to some of the prints, and in theory could do an unrestored transfer himself, similar to his transfer of the first reel. We could crowdfund that just to get SOME version out there. It would be dirty but worth watching.

This might step on Steve's toes, if Steve is able to get those rights finally, but it has been awhile and our 2007 SD transfer of the film isn't really cutting it anymore.

RaggedyMan

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:43 am

I'd certainly be willing to chip in some for a crowdfunded HD restoration.

Or even if you were to just scan the reels and release the raw footage "open source" for people to tackle as they please, that could open the door for a few possibilities?

(Or failing anything else, I don't suppose there's any chance that you still have the SD master you made the 2007 restoration from to release in a higher-quality format?)
Last edited by RaggedyMan on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jb512

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 am

I have a 1988 Playhouse Video VHS of the film and it shows that Playhouse Video is a Division of CBS/FOX. Interestingly, 20th Century Fox Video (founded in 1995) encompassed CBS/FOX. Then in 2000 CBS merged with Viacom - at which point CBS/FOX ceased to exist. (I'm thinking out loud here, bear with me...)

At that time, CBS/FOX still owned some ancillary rights to certain films (unrelated) until 20th Century Fox fully assumed CBS/FOX's share of them. So Viacom kept nothing, Fox kept everything. Another interesting point is that the BBC license with CBS/FOX also ended in 2000, where Warner Home Video took over.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS/Fox_Video

According to the Warner Home Video Wiki - they acquired MGM/UA, Pathe Communications Corp., Turner Broadcasting, Turner Home Ent., PBS Home Video, New Line Home Video (aka New Line Home Ent.), and HBO Home Ent.

"In 2009, Warner Home Video introduced the Warner Archive Collection, which allows the public to order custom-made DVDs of rarely seen films and TV series from the Warner and Turner libraries."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Home_Video

The VHS I have says Fox Video, so 20th Century Fox or Warner Bros. may contain the rights. Forgive me if you've already gone over all of this. I'm excited at the prospect of solving this mystery and getting the show on the road, as it were.

I will continue to dig a bit more and, if time permits, perhaps make some phone calls.

For some reason, every time I've seen this film, I have thought it was originally Canadian, as it displayed many of the animation tropes and techniques used in other Canadian films of that era (e.g. the Care Bears films released by Nelvana).

Garrett, it's encouraging that neither you nor your compatriots are giving up on this endeavor. Keep up the fight! I'll keep you posted as things come up.

Cheers

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am

I won't discourage you. It's more complicated than that, but as you can see it's already very complicated. We went over all this twelve years ago, and many times since, but I have not made any calls personally. About the film, anyway. Steve has, but we have rarely spoken about it.