Things I Say

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Things I Say

Sun May 17, 2020 12:40 pm

It is hilarious that the most insane cult in America is dedicated to the upside-down conspiracy theory that the President is somehow competent and not a complete asshole.

You could have just elected a better President, guys.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 pm

I think Joe Biden is bad and should be replaced by a better candidate.

I think Donald Trump is horrible and should be removed from office.

I don't think any of the Democratic candidates except Bernie Sanders are "Left." That's most of the problem. The Democratic Party is corporate/capitalist and crushes any left/progressive movements in its ranks.

While Trump is one of the worst people alive, he and Biden can both be described as racist segregationist sex criminals and war criminals with dementia. I don't think Biden is a good candidate to go against Trump. I think the Democrats were more concerned with stopping Bernie Sanders than Trump.

It's been said that, yes the Democratic Party is better than the Republicans, but most days it seems that low bar is ALL they aspire to.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 5:31 pm

If I was playing Crow on Mystery Science Theater 3000, I would simply star on the Sci-Fi Channel episodes only.

RIP to the other Crows but I'm different

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun May 24, 2020 12:08 am

Started making a burrito lunch over four hours ago, while doing other things.

Sitting down to actually eat it now.

Ever feel like you're playing life on hard mode?

Always felt that way in LA, especially when taking a bus meant that simple tasks would take 5-10 hours.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue May 26, 2020 6:36 pm

"They were N_zis in WWII" starter pack:

Ford, IBM, Coca Cola, Hugo Boss, Standard Oil, Volkswagen, Adidas, Puma, Ikea, Chanel, The Bush family

In some ways it was a weird outgrowth of hyper-capitalism.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sat May 30, 2020 2:05 am

ACABSOTDONADITCOC2KOESAI

All Cops are bastard sons of the Duke of Northumberland, as detailed in the census of Charles II, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Entertainment news and Gaming/Youtube news have wildly different standards for what "celebrity" names we're expected to know.

Entertainment will explain who someone is:
Albert Finney dies, who was a British actor nominated for 5 Oscars

Gaming:
Dr Poopenstain banned from Twitch

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 am

Thanks to Twitter for locking my account for what it considers "automated behavior" (me manually blocking N_zi accounts so I don't have to hear from them).

Thanks to Twitter for locking my account and not letting me log in again, ever, unless I get a text message sent to a phone number I haven't used in years.

Thank

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:54 pm

I've got a message from the Affleck man
I'm Batman, hope you're Batman too

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:24 am

https://news.sky.com/story/jk-rowling-a ... e-12023582

"JK Rowling and Salman Rushdie among 152 public figures to criticise 'cancel culture'"

JK Rowling is an anti-LGBT bigot, that's why she's doing this. They're keeping it vague for deniability. People who are vocally opposing "cancel culture" tend to be bigots and sex criminals. Why do I care if Harvey Weinstein is "cancelled?" I am disgusted by people on my timeline sharing this shit unironically.

Jesse Singal is also a famous transphobe, as is Katie Herzog, and a lot of the others who signed the letter are famous only for making complete fools of themselves as writers for the New York Times or similar big publications. There is absolutely a reason why Twitter makes fun of many of these people, or fears them. "I'm rich so you can't criticize me" is not an argument.

This is exactly how this sort of bigotry works. They phrase it vaguely enough that people who don't know better superimpose their own politics on top of it. In truth, Rowling has made no secret of her beliefs.

Here's a previous Rowling post for context.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=321&p=10775

I'm sure that very few people who signed that open letter even knew what they were really signing off on, but there are a lot of weirdos and creeps on that list who have been very correctly criticized for being awful, like Rowling and Singal and various faux-intellectuals who peddle bad ideas (Frum, Brooks, Weiss etc). Millionaires with massive platforms and horrific ideas don't want to be criticized in any way so they DARVO, playing the victim.

https://mobile.twitter.com/barrydeutsch ... 0244667393

I agree that social media users, when they form a mob, can and inevitably do go too far. But that's not what most people mean when they say "cancel culture."

It's designed as a weasel phrase like "politically correct" and "social justice warrior," meant to portray bigotry and sex crimes as normal and those opposing them as deviant. Alternately, it portrays the rich and powerful as helpless victims, for facing any kind of criticism of their actions.

if cancel culture were a thing, Trump would not be president.

"Cancel culture" is a phrase with neo n_zi implications, as it suggests that relatively powerless left-wingers are actually all-powerful and controlling our culture and silencing those they don't like ....

Not hard to connect those dots. And I usually see it deployed with that meaning.

It's a very short walk from there to the alt-right concept of "cultural Marxism."

Someone said "cancel culture" went too far with James Gunn. That wasn't "cancel culture." That was a smear campaign led by an alt-right rapist, who wanted to ruin the career of Gunn for vocally opposing Trump. The same alt-right weirdos who led that campaign are the ones complaining about "cancel culture" now. And I assure you that the "free speech" they demand only applies to them. They want no "free speech" for anti-racist activists and liberals.

(I originally said some more names here. I won't get into my complex thoughts about certain people who made real mistakes but were disproportionately cancelled from both right and left ... being an outspoken liberal paints a target on people, and that's not cancel culture working, that's a culture war.)

Plathma writes: Cancel culture is essential to teach our kids right from wrong. Harvey Weinstein, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris, Fred Talbot, Gary Glitter, Max Clifford. Damn right some people and their work should be cancelled.

https://medium.com/@juliustheintern/a-l ... b6b7cda77c

This reaction barely scratches the surface. A small selection of just five of the people on that list are responsible for so many impossibly shitty and destructive ideas expressed in print. And the reaction is right- they think themselves the elite, far above the rabble.

https://www.themarysue.com/harpers-mag- ... g-whistles

"It’s pretty difficult to dismiss the deliberately vague cancel culture scaremongering as being anything but anti-trans dog whistles. And it seems that some of the signatories have realized that, as at least a few are walking back their participation."

Travis McElroy writes:
It's almost like they long for a time where they could spout their shitty opinions surrounded only by people who agree with them so that they wouldn't be held accountable for the impact that their shitty opinions had on the world? But that is just speculation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/uniform_nyc/ ... 3158061056

Joanne Rowling is the aggressor here. She is trying to get LGBT people and their supporters killed. But she portrays herself as a victim. She is a billionaire and could easily just shut up and stop attacking trans people at any time.

She's doing DARVO - reversing victim and offender.

As others have pointed out, she always publishes under a male or non-gendered name, so there's also a psychological bag of worms there that's hers to figure out.

https://twitter.com/tessplease/status/1 ... 8544164864

N. K. Jemisin writes:

Just catching up with this Harpers nonsense. I see why they didn't name names -- because their argument only works in abstract. The moment you cite specifics, you realize they're supporting mass dehumanization, historical revisionism, and any number of fascist principles. Fascism sounds great in the abstract, too, when it's framed in this abstract way. Then you notice the bodies it's standing on.

Christine Love writes:
WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE CLAIMING TO BE CENSORED THAT I AM LITERALLY UNABLE TO ESCAPE THE SHITTY OPINIONS OF DESPITE SETTING UP AN ELABORATE ATTEMPT AT KEYWORD FILTERING JUST TO HEAR ABOUT THEM SLIGHTLY LESS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/simpson ... 599770683/
Nymphomachy writes:

There is no way to "take a stand against Cancel Culture" that does not effectively mean taking a stand against #.MeToo et al.

Being "anti-cancel culture" or "anti-woke" is just proactively communicating to marginalized/victimized people that you don't give a fuck about them.

That's fundamentally the entire point of turning it into a fucking blood pact like this.

Influential people banding together to affirm that they mutually refuse to give any weight to what oppressed people are saying, in hopes this will create a chilling effect on oppressed voices.

The implicit demand at the heart of any collective denouncement of "cancel culture" is "no matter what you say, we are going to ignore you from now on, so you should shut the fuck up."

For all their bloviating about "being silenced", this is FUNDAMENTALLY ENGINEERED to silence.
https://twitter.com/cheryllynneaton/sta ... 3795447809
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/sta ... 6061427712

lyta_gold writes:
·yes, Jesse Singal is a disingenuous creep who keeps “accidentally” whipping up online mobs against trans women and tries to get them fired behind the scenes, but I don’t think we’ve adequately covered the fact that he’s also a bad writer who sucks
https://twitter.com/emilyvdw/status/1280580388495097856
https://twitter.com/emilyvdw/status/1280691694216687616
https://twitter.com/emilyvdw/status/1281153701290274819

Emily VanDerWerff writes:

This letter is a broadside against many disadvantaged communities, but it is _particularly_ a broadside against trans people, and I’m disappointed to see people I know and respect (including Known Trans Woman Jennifer Finney Boylan) among its list of signatories.

The sheer number of signatories who have waded into the transgender debate on the anti-trans side is astounding. I read many of the references to specific gripes in the letter's text as specifically directed at trans critics.

(Boylan’s book She’s Not There is one I have recommended many times to cis relatives as one to read to better understand our experiences. I probably still will, but I’m not going to be thrilled about it, let me tell you!!!!)

The media employs a tiny handful of trans people, most of whom have their positions by virtue of having been cis-passing for the beginning of their careers (hi). Thus, the terms of debate about us within said media are set by cis people.

This disconnect would be a dangerous situation, even if all of the people who worked in the media were good cis allies (which they aren’t). That we are allowed so tiny of a voice in our own self-definition means criticism is hugely warranted.

That criticism might take the form of Being Mean on Twitter or whatever. And believe me: People have been mean to me on Twitter, sometimes justifiably, sometimes for dumb bullshit. It’s not fun. I get it. But it’s also not “illiberal.”

There will always be room in the media for gadflies and raconteurs and people who mouth off in ways that anger the powerful. There always should be!

It would be nice if literally one of those people were trans! I’ve become that by default, and I’m not sure I’m great at it.

Anyway, I will restate my disappointment in those who signed this letter, while also admitting that it is often the case that people sign letters without knowing who else is signing or even precisely what the letter will contain.

(Also, I hope none of these people gets fired, because then they would develop martyr complexes and become even more obnoxious, which would be the worst. Truly, for the trans, this is a lose-lose!)

(LATER:)

I'm careful not to say that signing the letter is an anti-trans act is because I don't believe it is. In a vacuum, the letter seems totally fine! I wouldn't have signed it ("We need more debate" in 2020 usually has an understood "about trans issues"). I get why someone might.

But the many signatories to the letter include people who treat trans identities as an intellectual parlor game at best and as a dark and terrible cloud about to descend over modern society at worst. It is apparently impossible to grasp that we are who we say we are.

Within that context, the "shit, they're talking about me" feeling I got reading the letter became an ambulance siren once I read the list of people who signed it.

Again: Not everybody who signed it is anti-trans. There are trans people there, and noted ally Margaret Atwood.

Anyway, I've received rampant misgendering, copious dead names, death threats, threats of assault, threats of other unspecified violence, and frequent accusations of being mentally ill today.

Believe me, there are a lot of people who wish I would be literally canceled. I found that out today. It's easy to forget some days, but it's always there, the low-level hum of being a trans person, a woman, a journalist in 2020 America.

Every trans person makes their own choice about how to function within a society built by cis people for cis people. I have a lot more options than most. If I need emergency therapy, I can get it. I have support structures, a wife, friends, a great job.

But the choice I've made is the belief that if I can just make the words work well enough, I can make everybody see who I am and, by extension, who all of my trans siblings are too. It's a delusion and a phantom. But I gotta keep trying.

Thank you for the words of support. Thank you for the good faith criticism. And thank you for the well-meaning questions.

No thank you to all of you who threatened either me or my livelihood. I'm not a fan of it!

(LATER:)

It is worth remembering for whom cancel culture actually exists.

I want to state, again, that I want my colleague to keep his job. I like him personally and appreciate his perspective even when I disagree. My perspective is that he is not shielded from the free speech he champions.

Also, Jesse Singal is an asshole.

This long ago stopped being about my letter, the Harper's letter, or my colleague, let's be honest.

It's become a campaign about twisting what I said to claim I meant its opposite in an attempt to silence me and get me fired because Jesse is exactly what he claims to oppose.

The following is the last thing I will say on this on Twitter: These two days have been hell. Death threats, rape threats, invitations to commit suicide, constant misgendering, etc. On every platform. The only way I can avoid it is to leave the internet entirely. I can't sleep.

To my knowledge, not one signatory of the Harper's letter has said anything against this behavior, despite how obvious, extreme, and public it has been. At least two have egged it on or incited it.

They do not believe in free speech; they believe in free speech FOR THEM.

Note, again, that the only way I can avoid this is to leave the internet entirely. Considering I make my living writing for the internet, this is an actual, genuine attempt at canceling someone. It won't work, but that is its aim.

I have my employer's support in weathering this storm. I have been given space to decouple for a few days to preserve brain space.

Many, many people would not be so lucky.

The hypocrisy of celebrating so-called vigorous debate, only to call out those who offer a counter opinion for offering such a counter opinion is obvious on its face, but I will point it out anyway.

Right-wing blogs like Daily Caller and Breitbart have written pieces calling for my firing, using YouTube screencaps of me designed to make me look unattractive or masculine. Their readers swarm me.

I have had friends who have been through this sort of online hate mob before, and they talk about it like a natural disaster. It strikes, and it leaves you standing in rubble, wondering where your life went.

I believed them; I didn't understand them.

Now, I do understand them. And I wouldn't wish what I am going through on my worst, worst, worst, worst, worst enemy. It is despicable, dehumanizing, emptying. I have nothing left.

The irony is their claim is that I was trying to incite a hateful mob against my colleague, in the name of getting him fired, despite my constant protestations to the contrary.

To my knowledge, no such hateful mob against him materialized.

Yet one materialized against me.

I certainly received some pushback against my initial post, but it was (for the most part) fair criticism, and I attempted to answer it.

A hateful mob descended on me as soon as Jesse Singal, who signed the letter, began tweeting about my supposed ulterior motives.

I have been contacted by a number of journalists who are treating this as a curious matter of Vox's office politics, perhaps because I've been subtweeted by some of my coworkers. I will speak to some of them. But this is not about my job; this is my fucking life.

I'm going to try to sleep some more. I am going away from the internet to read a book, go outside, whatever. Friends will monitor this account in the meantime.

I'm going to be back asap, the same bad bitch as ever.

But I'm not going to lie: Tonight I just want to fucking die.

In the middle of all of this, I have heard from old friends and received tiny kindnesses, and gotten some amazing news about a dear friend. Things roll on. Always.

Love and strength to all of you. See you soon.