Comics Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Comics Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:50 pm

“From time to time we receive letters from readers who wonder why there’s so much moralizing in our mags. They take great pains to point out that comics are supposed to be escapist reading, and nothing more. But somehow, I can’t see it that way. It seems to me that a story without a message, however subliminal, is like a man without a soul. In fact, even the most escapist literature of all – old time fairy tales and heroic legends – contained moral and philosophical points of view.
At every college campus where I may speak there’s as much discussion of war and peace, civil rights, and the so-called youth rebellion as there is of our Marvel mags per se. None of us lives in a vacuum – none of us is untouched by the everyday events about us – events which shape our stories just as they shape our lives. Sure our tales can be called escapist – but just because something’s for fun, doesn’t mean we have to blanket our brains while we read it! Excelsior!” – Stan Lee

Stan Lee's writing gave Marvel Comics its personality, even well into the 1990s when he still wrote "Stan's Soapbox" columns and addressed readers with phrases like "true believers" and "excelsior!" To an extent the man WAS Marvel comics and had a hand in creating countless beloved characters. He injected a little bit of reality into the comic book world, giving us heroes who struggled with real-world problems, at a time when DC was still more fantasy-based. At age 95 he'd seen Marvel characters take over the Hollywood box office and largely overtake their DC rivals to become some of the most popular heroes in the world. He himself appeared in every film, and even non-Marvel films like Mallrats and Teen Titans Go! to the Movies. Because why make a comic book movie without Stan Lee?

(I met Stan Lee once in 2007, and told him I'd made a film about one of his characters, She-Hulk. I don't have more of a story than that.)
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Here's Stan Lee making fun of Rob Liefeld & Todd Mcfarlane in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room