Comics Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Comics Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Tag yourself, I'm the first two panels on the last page.

https://imgur.com/gallery/InTFBqz
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Amazing last panel here. Newspaper comics are now a dead format created by and for old men with brain worms.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DewSidPV4AIX3YI.jpg

This one's been running for 99 years.

We have too many "zombie comic strips" left running with new creative teams for sixty or a hundred years. With few exceptions, the immediate cultural relevance of these strips waned over time and died with their original creators. They're still in newspapers because older audiences would send in letters of complaint if they weren't. The audience for comic strips used to be people looking to be entertained. It's now people who fear change, and want to see no sign of it. Comic strip pages should be filled with new creators doing something we haven't seen before.

Would people still watch television if popular series never ended? If they were still, somehow, doing the Jack Benny Show and I Love Lucy and pretending as if those performers were still around and their moment hadn't passed? Gunsmoke and Wagon Train and Bonanza and all the westerns. Father Knows Best and Leave It to Beaver and My Three Sons. Donna Reed and Milton Berle and Dobie Gillis. Red Skelton and Howdy Doody and Lassie and Rin Tin Tin.

You get excited about season 3 of something you like. Would you get excited about season 63 of these shows?

Strips that have retained their original creators - Bill Griffith of Zippy is 74 now. Imagine explaining any of the original cultural context of that strip to anyone under thirty now.

Well, see, there was a movie in 1932 which was considered vulgar and banned at the time. By the director of the original Dracula. It was about sideshow freaks, deformed people put on display at the circus. Do they still have circuses? And it was the 80s and we wanted to inject a little flower power into the comics page, you know, a little psychedelia, hippie stuff, like The Doors or Jefferson Airplane ... I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time ....

Then someone else will have to draw Zippy and it'll go on for another hundred years ...

I couldn't possibly explain (webcomic) Homestuck to someone over forty - I'd have trouble explaining it to anyone - and Homestuck ended.

A lot of our favorite comic strips ended before too long. 10 years in some cases (The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes). Others would be more fondly remembered if they had (B.C., Sam and Silo).
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:12 am

Comics artist Roger Langridge takes on Jeeves and Wooster. This really should be a series.

https://hotelfred.blogspot.com/2018/06/wodehouse.html
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 pm

A few days ago, I dreamed that there was a scorpion-spider on the ceiling, which then fell on me. I woke up, realizing that there's no such thing as a scorpion-spider.

Checking Twitter that day, I saw the words "Eight years ago today, Vriska was introduced in Homestuck ..."

Vriska is a scorpio/spider/number 8 themed character.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:06 am

Disney comics: A luckless Gladstone Gander and a disguised Magica De Spell have an accidental romance. (Repost)
https://worldwide-duckverse.tumblr.com/ ... one/chrono
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Aw, that was a surprisingly endearing story, a pretty good example of longer comic strip pacing too. The classic villian-falling-for-their-own-plan story, poor Magica, hah.

Also, that Jeeves & Wooster test comic from earlier is astoundingly good. I hope the artist gets to continue that in some official capacity!
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 am

Langridge got a good reaction to his Jeeves & Wooster online, so it's possible --!

Very few of the books are public domain in the US due to the tradition of copyright extensions.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:55 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:56 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room