Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Animation Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:57 am

Finally

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-finishe ... sacat=1529

I noticed while editing my Black Cauldron video that while you can't know what the deleted scenes were unless you had them in storyboard form or the shooting schedule (which I actually tried bidding but lost short of a hundred dollars I sadly could spare) you can take vague hints like scene numbers in backgrounds, cels, drawings, etc. Unfortunately Disney erases the scene headings in the official cels, which reduce especulation to whole chunks of the movie missing an indeterminate amount of scenes (I called them shots in my video), This is a quickly written post that I might elaborate further on the future, if it's called for, at least.

SEQUENCE 001: the first scene in the movie, for some reason scenes much earlier in backgrounds/storyboards than what is in the movie, a Background for when Hen Wen peeks off her pighouse lists Scene 18 but in the final movie is 23, with 18 in the final movie being Dallben reacting to the cat nodding in disgust, maybe they changed the order of certain scenes in editing.
SEQUENCE 002: Talked about it in the video, there's 3 scenes missing inbetween the start of the sequence and the scene where Taran finds Gurgi
SEQUENCE 003: In the final film, Scene 64 is Taran on the floor after falling down, something I was surprised to know in the shooting schedule that it's re-used animation from a later scene (Sq. 004, Sc 113), but in 003 listed on the Shooting Schedule previews as Scene 89.1 (or 90), meaning that between the start of the sequence with Taran climbing the Castle wall to him falling down there are some 26 scenes missing.
SEQUENCE 004: Taran's adventures in the catacombs, Schedule lists Taran roling down the floor after being smacked by a Guard as scene 113, 94 in the final film, 9 scenes missing, of course, this does not deny the theory that their escape has been cut/re-animated to be less violent as some are led to believe.
SEQUENCE 005: The most truncated scene in the whole film, I already talked about it in my video but there is just so much more out there that I might as well dedicate more time to it
SEQUENCE 006: Fairfolk, who cares
SEQUENCE 007: Morva sequence, I didn't look into it, so much that I don't have a scene list document for it, but like anything else I will probably go on more detail about it in the future
SEQUENCE 008: Famous Cauldron Born sequence, at first the small glimpses of storyboards on the side were of no help since they had no dialog, but recently I found the linked production drawing, which lists Gurgi readying to jump into the Cauldron (Scene 84 in the final film) as Scene 101, 17 Scenes missing, some of them uncovered as an extra shot of the skeletons and the melting man
SEQUENCE 009: The ending, since the Storyboard was cut off at the top I had to improvise a couple of storyboards, but not before carefully determining how many scenes were cut, which were only 2, with the first one cutting-off earlier in the editing process

If only I had the schedule, but alas, maybe it was not meant to be. Transformers fans managed to buy 2 Early screenplays of the 1986 Movie off HeritageAuctions, so maybe there's a good reason why Disney fans weren't interested, they only go as far as copying my videos, quoting wikipedia and copying my style of editing in the ThiefStatistics/Pebble and the Penguin videos(?).
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:13 am

You know your stuff though.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:58 am

Ducktales (2017), one-hour season 1 finale. (The Shadow War!) A terrific end to the season, which sets up storylines for the future and leaves you satisfied and wanting more. The previous episode (Last Crash of the Sunchaser) set up an emotional gut-punch, where the kids finally learn what happened to their mother, and leave Scrooge behind because of it - the old rift in their family reopening. What they don't see is how Scrooge nearly bankrupted himself trying to bring their mother back. When we see Scrooge he's a mess, eating pizza in a dirty t-shirt. Having possessed Lena, Catherine Tate's Magica De Spell takes the opportunity to appear in her full glory as a sorceress, and take over McDuck Manor with an army of shadows. Webby, Launchpad and Beakley try to bring the family back together before it's too late. Also, it's only just occurred to me that Webby is drawn to resemble Kate Micucci, somewhat. The all-star voice cast now includes Paget Brewster, and Don Cheadle as Donald Duck, thanks to a voice translator which makes him sound more heroic. There are cameos by the other cast. Launchpad sings the Darkwing Duck theme (complete with Jim Cummings-voiced bobblehead), and you'll also hear the moon theme from the NES game. It would be nice to really hear that in full next season, for a lot of reasons.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 am

End credits scenes from the latest DuckTales episode “Last Christmas” illustrated by Mike Peraza, who drew them in an identical styling of his illustrations for the opening credits scenes for Mickey’s Christmas Carol in 1983.

https://hysteria-rogers.tumblr.com/post ... s-from-the
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm not going to say that Netflix's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (created by Noelle Stevenson) is terrific because I don't want guys in general to know about the show.

(Girls, go ahead and watch it.)

EDIT: I've seen too much of "guys taking over a fandom and ruining everything" the last few years - I think this has found its audience without that happening.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:08 pm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art ... 96-97243.s

Another batch of Black Cauldron Storyboards showed up (once again I tried bidding thinking that no one would be interested in it but whoever won it made clear he wanted no competition, winning it for 1000$), with another, probably much bigger one, coming in January.

Apparently I was mistaken in which I thought the movie was separated into 9 major sequences instead of 11, not counting the small inbetween scenes, I was also mistaken when I invented my own storyboards for Sequence 011 (The ending), them being not even remotely close to what they were going for amused me, and finally, I erred on the ''Final Battle'' between Taran and The Horned King, originally I was led to believe Taran would put up more of a fight, when the exact opposite is true, where Taran is absolutely helpless in this situation, and The Horned King is straight-up sucked in. Scenes where Taran kicks him while holding on to the chain were added probably as part of the original cut, or maybe Katzenberg's demanding that Taran should ''do something'' in the ending, with every surrounding scene being trimmed heavily to make up space for it. (Taran himself looks off-model compared to the surrounding scenes)

Other pieces of artwork with precious sequence and scene headings have showed up, which means a new Black Cauldron video is due, so everyone can steal the information on it and add on top of quoting wikipedia and misinformation. :gopher:
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Very interesting!

Like you, Dennis, I assumed the original version of the Horned King’s demise would be a little more dramatic than what ended up in the finished film, only my assumption was based on the cue title for Bernstein’s music for the scene (“Destruction”). Also, we also get the boards for that one section of the ending you had to fill in the blanks (going by the boards, I must confess I kinda prefer your idea of how that bit would have played out as the actual boards make Taran’s blaming himself for Gurgi’s sacrifice more hysterical).

EDIT: One thing more. Judging by the blue pencil scribbling in the first photo, it looks as though the rest of Fflewddur’s ballad was cut pretty early on (possibly before the scene went into animation), though the rest of the extended argument doesn’t have that blue scribbling.
filmfan94

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I figured they were going for a ''Raiders of the Lost Ark'' type of ending where the Cauldron (or Ark) does the job out of the MC's jurisdiction, what I don't know what they were going for is the long Castle destruction sequence since it's even longer here (although I wish they kept the ceiling cracking apart instead of relying on the weirdly shaped pillars for tension building). When I made my boards I thought you needed a quiet moment for the audience to read the characters after a huge climax, funny enough the Comic book adaptation also played it similarly instead of him just having a tantrum.

http://gurgi27.tripod.com/page36.html

Funny enough this comic actually matches the Storyboards very often, kinda like how the Marvel Super Special version of The Dark Crystal follows the Workprint version closely rather than the final film, so there are bits of how stuff originally played out that slipped in.

Worthy of mention that the auctions says these were Joe Hale's own collection (Blue for early on, Red for katzenberg's mandates?) But I also wonder if the test screening version would have also cut these scenes out, with Katzenberg putting some of those back in wanting every bit of ''coverage'' he could get.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:15 am

Would be nice to have a comprehensive writeup or video about this info.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room