Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Animation Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Gentlemen, this could be The Black Cauldron's Holy Grail.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/t ... ail-071515

The Black Cauldron Early Shooting Schedule (Walt Disney, 1985). Disney's adaptation of The Chronicles of Prydain was fraught with many changes and delays. Development began in the early 1970s, with several false starts before Joe Hale was brought in as producer. Cuts and changes continued, with the film eventually loosing twelve minutes on the cutting room floor. This extremely rare document is an actual early shooting schedule with deleted scenes. Every scene is described, with a good deal of dialog, as well as artist information. The pages are unnumbered except by sequence, but there appears to be 300 or so, each page measuring 8.5" x 14". A fascinating behind-the-scenes look at this cult classic! Very Good condition.

Aka the film's shooting script. We may never get the uncut version released but whoever owns this will get a pretty good idea.
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Holy mackerel! That is quite a find.
filmfan94

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Well then.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Pictures are out

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art ... ion-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/t ... ail-071515

All in all, I find it interesting how for the storyboards we get sequences that not only weren't in the final film, they're from completely different versions of the film altogether, the Prologue with the Cauldron carried over which is interesting (the phrase ''rule the world or destroy it'' was used in the marketing campaign even though out of context it doesn't make a whole lot of sense), as well as the heavily especulated scenes of The Horned King burning down a village a-lá Conan the Barbarian (or perharps the opening of Excalibur?)

But the Holy Grail in this IS the shooting schedule, even if the preview pictures didn't show us anything new (I wonder why?), despite this little cut line of dialog by Dallben: ''Where could he be?'', which explains why did he send Taran to hide in some place that happened to cross paths with The Horned King's castle, he did not know, apparently. Makes sense.
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

The pictures are admittedly a bit of a let-down, but it’s still interesting to see some of this early artwork. I was particularly interested in some of the storyboards that contains references to elements from the books that never made it into the film such as the Book of Three and the Huntsmen of Annuvin (though I’m kinda glad they did away with the depiction of the witches of Morva as a stand-in for the fates, which they were not in the books).

Edit: Upon looking at the books again, there is a section near the end of the last book where the witches (who are not always ugly), present Taran with a tapestry depicting his life saying that “the pattern is of your choosing” so I guess that may have been where they got the idea, even if they didn’t go through with it.
filmfan94

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Maybe they wanted a mystical feel or some purpose to the film, without it the movie is basicaly ''and then this happens'' over and over again. Personally the first one with the slow fade-in and the fairfolk hiding is what should have been in the film, but either way I'm not going to include any of these in the video. Maybe later.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri May 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Arnaud » Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 am

I'd be glad if K. could just shut the fuck up. It's difficult enough to remind his work was one of the biggest influences mine ever had, it doesn't help us former fans to move on to have him spreading nonsense that make him appear even more guilty. And obviously it doesn't help the victims either.
Arnaud

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm

John K is an embarrassment, and needs to go away.

I would have said that before these stories came out.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat May 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Lot of anger out there over Thundercats being rebooted as a comedy. If they wanted to do that, they could have gotten the rights to these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEUmqBVc8c
https://characterdesignreferences.com/a ... pizza-cats
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room