Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Animation Thread

Postby Laukku » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:43 am

Someone did an animated version of the story of Milt Kahl being enraged at Williams, as described in the Animator's Survival Kit:

https://youtu.be/KEdcOR179_Q
Laukku

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 am

By Eduardo Quintana. The animation is perfect and accurate to Richard Williams' style as well.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 pm

The Black Cauldron Storyboards will be auctioned at HeritageAuctions

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art ... ion-071515

A group of storyboards was previously auctioned on the site, but only 3 boards were revealed, one with the first 2 rows obscured, in the photograph you can see that among those boards, the very first one from the left IS the first board for Sequence 008, aka the infamous Cauldron Born scene, another board from halfway into the movie was auctioned, but the preview picture is impossible to read.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art ... ion-120115
http://auction.howardlowery.com/Bidding ... d1=3978602

I'm putting together a new The Black Cauldron video with these storyboards in the movie, as well as other stuff like stills of scenes not in the movie, little bits of footage that slipped past Disney and the jump cuts in the audio/footage when synching the footage, quite a lot has surfaced in the 6 years since I've made my Black Cauldron videos.
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:19 pm

I’m not seeing any preview images on the first link, Dennis. The second link seems to show boards for scenes that actually made the film like the Horned King’s first scene (unless it’s actually the deleted “incantation” scene) and the scene where Taran, Eilonwy and Fflewdur encounter Gurgi after escaping the castle. However, the prospects of being able to see more deleted material from The Black Cauldron sounds really tantalizing (even if it is only storyboards). Can’t wait to see your upcoming video with this new material.
filmfan94

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm

The preview images are going to come at a later time, there's nothing wrong with the first link.

The Horned King's first scene probably is the missing Incantation scene, because the score is a slightly different arrangement for the cue that's in the movie, and like the dialog in the storyboard suggests, it takes place after the Fairfolk scene, which also matches the soundtrack listing of the Complete Recording Sessions of The Black Cauldron/Intrada Soundtracks, so it is the Incantation scene, whether that's how it played out in the movie before it got cut or when did they change the scene for the begining of the movie I have no idea, all I know is that the Horned King's very first scene in the movie where he rises and you only see the back of his head has a very noticeable animation error, so it must've been rushed in some way.

I'm almost thinking about holding off the video until the preview pics arrive, for the scene with the Witches at the end of the movie, the top part of the storyboard is cut off, but the dialog is still there, I drew a couple of storyboards to fill in but I want to be safe about it.
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Taking a closer look at the boards for the Horned King scene, it definitely looks like you may be right about his first scene originally being after the Fairfolk scene (I completely missed the bits of dialogue under the first few boards due to some of it being extremely faded, especially the “Destroy the Cauldron” line, though the boards featuring Creeper were a bit of a tip-off). Though I can’t help but wonder why they felt it necessary to move it to earlier in the film if that is indeed the case.

Edit: The boards for the scene with Taran and Eilonwy’s quarrel also seem to indicate that the scene was originally much longer than it ended up being in the film and lines like “But the henchmen couldn’t stop me!” seem to add credibility to the rumored scene of Taran killing some of the henchmen with Dyrnwyn.
Last edited by filmfan94 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
filmfan94

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Interesting .....
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 pm

They probably moved it to early in the movie because they felt the audience needed to see the villian, because without it The Horned King only first appears almost 20 minutes into the film, however that practically reduces his role in the movie to just sitting there doing nothing, it's a bad change, just like how they re-did the entire Fairfolk sequence for no reason and scrapped everything that had been done for it in exchange for something worse.

As for the violent stuff that would've made the film earn the fabled ''R rating'', I start to wonder what they were going for had it been in the movie. The more I see these storyboards with all the character banter/development that was cut for runtime/pacing reasons, the less I start to believe that at any point in the movie Taran hits people with his sword, the skeleton army murders some henchmen and one guy gets melted, it couldn't be more out-of-place, and while The Horned King gets his flesh sucked off from him into the Cauldron, it's actually played really safe with all the flashing lights and lack of blood, unless that scene was re-made to paint the blood off and put flashing lights in to make it hard to see, but in the context of villian deaths it's about as common as you can get with 80's villians dying.
Dennis196492

Postby filmfan94 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am

It also gives the impression that the Horned King's interruption of the henchmen's bacchanal was supposed to be his first scene, as it certainly looks like it could have been an introductory scene. Moving the incantation scene to before that definitely ruins the impact of the scene, much like Calvert moving the introduction of the One-Eyes to the beginning of the Thief.

As for the violent scenes, I can't tell what they would have gone for had it been included, but it's possible that the nature of these scenes may have been overhyped and no more existential than that rumored nude Eilonwy scene that's been bandied about with the other rumored deleted scenes.
filmfan94

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 pm

I believe in their graphic nature being equivalent or maybe slightly less graphic than the animated films around that time, with varying levels seeing as fighting your way through a castle is supposed to be heroic while a man melting away like a scene straight out of Heavy Metal is the film's scary centerpiece, who knows, with clever editing and re-animating several scenes a film can take a whole different meaning and you don't even suspect certain shots are missing, and as it happens very often in The Black Cauldron, especially during these key scenes, you'll see shots varying in quality, but no real indication of what was cut, because the re-structuring process involved re-recording several soundtrack cues (one of the alternate soundtrack cues for the Cauldron Born briefly plays in the trailer where the missing 3rd Skeleton shot was also found), re-writing and re-recording dialog, and cutting out a lot of scenes.

I looked through the archives on The Black Cauldron's wikipedia page, around the time the claims of the film having been cut came about it was the same time one of the melting man's cels appeared on eBay and one of the skeleton shots was found in the trailers, the claims of ''Taran fighting his way through the castle, Eilonwy partially nude'' and ''a henchmen being sliced in the neck and torso by the cauldron born'', soon followed, but were always unsourced, until the references started linking the book ''Disney War'', which basicaly tells of the shitstorm that happened around Disney when Katzenberg took over the film in briefly, but no real description of any deleted scenes.
Dennis196492

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room