Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Animation Thread

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:09 am

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix) - Seasons 2 & 3

Hey, Adora: Noelle Stevenson's terrific (and gay-coded) reboot of the Masters of the Universe spinoff is back for another two half-seasons. Remember when animated cartoons would air 65 episodes in a season? Here we get thirteen episodes split over two "seasons." This has never looked like a very high-budget show, but it is a good-looking show regardless. And since the series felt like it was barely getting started with some plot threads in season 1, it's good to get thirteen episodes more with Adora, Catra, and the Princesses of Power. It's adventure and comedy with some great characters.

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/sta ... 9780358144

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Season 4, November 5!

This show is just the woman yelling at a cat meme.

https://twitter.com/voidroonil/status/1 ... 6827620353

Is there really no Entrapta in this trailer? She's always entertaining and I'm wondering what will happen with her character now.

The possible arrival of Horde Prime is an exponentially bigger threat than the show has faced to this point. The show has always felt like a bunch of teenagers still figuring the world out, and making Glimmer Queen and opening Etheria up to a possible massive invasion is a big step.

Mermista, Frosta and Perfuma were underused in seasons 2/3 (apart from the tabletop gaming episode), so the heavy use of Mermista here is nice to see. Castaspella also has the first few lines, and will probably be needed for the sort of stuff Angella used to do.

The show has added Huntara and Flutterina, and will probably keep forgetting that Netossa and Spinnerella exist. Actually they are in this trailer. Spinnerella is voiced by show creator Noelle Stevenson so was possibly never intended as a main character.

I've heard that Mara is replacing Angella in the opening, somehow. But I wouldn't count Glimmer's parents out yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIipTTY1Vo

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Noelle Stevenson's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Dreamworks / Netflix)

A summary:

Catra loves Adora
Catra screws it all up

Scorpia loves Catra
Catra screws it all up

Hordak loves Entrapta
Catra screws it all up

Hordak wants to open a portal
Adora and Entrapta know that this will destroy reality
Catra screws everything up
I mean literally everything

Shadow Weaver abuses Catra
Catra imprisons Shadow Weaver
Catra screws it all up
Shadow Weaver takes up gardening

Catra conquers Etheria
Hordak is impressed
Catra screws it all up

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Noelle Stevenson made Spotify playlists for She-Ra's characters. Apparently Scorpia is a very Fleetwood Mac mood. And Adora, of course, gets "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes. A lot of the same artists recur (including Marina, Brandi Carlile and Taylor Swift).

https://io9.gizmodo.com/creator-noelle- ... 1839757765

There doesn't appear to be a Youtube video of the "She-Ra" characters handling 4 Non Blonde's "What's Up" (and "Don't Cry Out Loud" by Melissa Manchester), a la "Fabulous Secret Powers," and I'm disappointed. I'm sure I've seen fanart memes to this effect but can't find the one I'm thinking of now.

filmfan94

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Based on reports I’ve read about Disney+, they’ve left Dumbo and Peter Pan alone as far as censorship is concerned and Melody Time is now uncut (though Fantasia still has Sunflower removed and there’s no news as far as Make Mine Music), they just have disclaimers before the films. The site also apparently has a vastly improved transfer of Sword in the Stone among the 4K movies (Black Cauldron is also in that section too).

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:51 pm

I am glad to see that Sword in the Stone is not the ruined median-filtered version

Recent versions of Fantasia have removed the racist characters in a way that is clean and not jarring. Certainly the racist material should not be present in current releases.

It's harder to remove from Dumbo and Peter Pan and I have no opinion on that at this time.