The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:20 am

This user is selling some original animation art from The Thief and the Cobbler.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lordbyron_gb/m ... pg=&_from=

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 am

Permit me a rant here.

There's a scummy Ebay seller calling himself animation.inc. He burns DVDs of cartoons which are easy to find online but not otherwise available legally, and sells them for hundreds a pop to people who don't know better.

At the moment he is selling my Thief and the Cobbler restoration on DVD for $225, with my cover artwork. I don't know what version.

The first DVDs I ever made, besides my own early short and feature films that I'd directed, were restorations of rare Star Wars content. This started in 2005 with a documentary called Deleted Magic which went viral and (like much of my work) was often imitated, copied and referenced by others. I later restored most of the rarer content from Jim Henson's Muppets. I've done countless restoration projects, including very rare deleted scenes from Evil Dead 2, Little Shop of Horrors, and Super Mario Bros 93.

What these projects have in common, especially as speedy internet has replaced physical media, is that I have always tried to make them available freely for download to anyone who wants them.

In the 2000s a lot of people couldn't download and needed this stuff on physical media, which was much more difficult for me, and I lost quite a lot of money making sure that The Thief and the Cobbler archive was burned on discs and in the hands of people who had worked on the film or were otherwise interested. It was a lot of work, and contributions from fans sustained the effort and let us transfer rare material from 35mm to digital. I have not burned or ripped a DVD in some years now. It's a relief.

Over the years I've been honest about this to a fault, when I could have dodged the question.

My restoration work has always been downloadable somewhere or other, and it's also always been popular with bootleg DVD sellers, online and at comic conventions back when we still had those.

I have nothing to do with that, and never have. When I was editing the first versions of the Recobbled Cut in 2006, I butted heads with some other Star Wars faneditors (who worked from laserdisc and thought they were kings of the world). I was smeared as a bootlegger and banned from several sites, for no other reason than my work was popular with bootleggers.

It disgusts me that it still is. But I was expecting they were still selling for $5 or $10 or $20, and that demand dried up ten years ago. That I can ignore. This I can't. I hope no one pays $225 for an inferior version of the Recobbled Cut, when you can download it here for free, or watch it on Youtube or other sites.

I hope this Ebay scalper fools no one and gets in trouble for what he's doing in general.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-THIEF-AND- ... 3979578635

EDIT: I've decided to report him. Maybe he'll lower his prices next time.

Here's another seller or the same seller:
https://cartoondvdset.com/epages/8db4a7 ... DyUftmgZsc

$100? $77? Sounds like this guy's the real Thief here. I would never have thought prices would be above $20. I've tried to make the film as easy to obtain for free as possible!

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 am

Keep in mind that, while the Recobbled Cut presents the film as unfinished, Fred Calvert had no trouble releasing the film as "finished" with MUCH less completed animation than the restoration offers. The Recobbled Cut is being honest about this while delivering a lot more to the viewer.

I often get comments from people who say this film is terrible and incoherent, and that Williams was an incompetent director, and that my restoration work (or anyone's restoration work) is a "delusional pipedream," and they think it's important that I know this.

It is incredible, the grudge that some animators have against this film, people whose talent could never hope to match up with Richard Williams'.

Clearly some people like this film or it wouldn't be regarded as a classic. (You won't find a classic film that is liked by literally everyone.)

And as I've often discussed here, my decades of research into the film has only ever shown that the film was carefully planned out and executed in great, meticulous detail by a very skilled director, who was then smeared as not even having a plan by the industry as a whole.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 am

https://imgur.com/a/Q5NOcdo

From the collection of someone who worked on The Thief and the Cobbler. 3 Sony PAL KCA-30BRS U-matic video cassettes containing some raw test footage. A short reel of 35mm film containing a One Eye scene. The 1990 screenplay. Cels and color models from the film.