Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

Postby SirQuacky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:43 pm

I just import UK releases of UK shows if I'm going to buy them. I can't stand buying US DVDs/Blu-rays if I know the show was made in the 625/25i format.
Due to me ripping everything I collect to my hard drives (and cleaning it up later if I think it necessary) I've found I've lost much interest in region encoding outside of whether it corresponds to the format of the show.
I have to make some exceptions due to those releases not always being made (The Tennant Specials set is notorious). Though with the TV Movie it's rare to find a case when the NTSC version to something isn't put out.

About Blu-rays boxsets though: Instead of simply releasing the stuff at the intended rate, inferior boxsets are continuing to be pushed out for the previously NTSC now A markets. Any sets produced with a PAL source are plagued with three alternate methods of annoyance, either they slow it all down to 23.976 and mush up any interlacing, or they blend frames together to a smeary-looking 29.97, or the mix-up where it's slowed down to 23.976 with an audio track that's been pitch-shifted up creating a warbly mess. It astounds me to this day that this kind of mastering is considered releasable. It's completely destroyed promising sets that were never given a non-NTSC/A release, like The Beatles 1+. It's one of those irritating things that shouldn't need to be done anymore but still is for some reason. I'll stop myself there or I'll never stop going on about it!
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 am

Yes indeed. Standards conversion issues are extremely frustrating, and something that shouldn't still be an issue in the digital era -- Yet here we are. The disc I was looking at the other day is a bit of a disaster.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Is it okay to call the character "Doctor Who?" A very complete deep dive, complete with what the rules were under original producer Verity Lambert -- where he never really called himself The Doctor either -- !

https://www.herocollector.com/en-gb/Art ... the-doctor
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Big Round Room