Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

A forum for creative people.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Through Time & Space: The Doctor Who Thread

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 am

The current series of Doctor Who has fans very angry.

How much of that criticism is because the Doctor is a woman now?

Almost 100%.

Toxic fanbase.

Even so, the series isn't actually good enough to defend right now. It's hard to get excited about. There's something missing.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Fri May 08, 2020 5:08 pm

this one hits a little bit different now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FWtypYmbOM

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Mon May 11, 2020 6:36 pm

DOCTOR WHO FAN: "I have dedicated my life to watching and discussing every episode of Doctor Who, and its 20 years of audio spinoffs and related material"

"Also, I've been pretending the last two series didn't happen and ignored them completely but it's NOT BECAUSE IT STARS A GIRL NOW"

(It is kinda boring and uninspired, for sure. It has its moments but it's not good enough to defend.

But 100% of the negative reaction, as if it's not even the same show anymore, is because the Doctor is a woman now.

Jodie's series 2, for all its faults, is desperate to be the same show as RTD's Doctor Who, and Verity Lambert's. (And it nearly gets there.) Any fan who says "it's not the same show anymore" is showing themselves.

I don't erase Chibnall from blame here. He put women and people of color at the center of his story, but has no earthly clue how to write them ...

Jodie Whittaker has done some little quarantine videos as her Doctor and she's very good at playing every child's best friend. That's not as clear in her actual episodes ...)

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2020 8:58 pm

https://youtu.be/Ei2quMm4qHk?t=34

This scene as written is literal sexual assault and Jenna Coleman just has to grin her way through it like it's wacky.

Steven Moffat. There are always warning signs in a showrunner's first year of Doctor Who, but by year three they start screaming "NOTHING IN THE WORLD CAN STOP ME NOW."

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm

In this scene, the closeup shot of the younger Doctor Who uses the same background as the wide shot. They should have zoomed in on the background (and called it soft focus) but they didn't. So the Doctor is floating in front of, or in the middle of, his own console.

https://youtu.be/6Zz2vc5ia98?t=78

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

DOCTOR WHO, THE TV SERIES: References every previous version of the character and finally follows up on obscure dangling plot threads from 1976, 1989 and the 2000s

DOCTOR WHO, THE FANS: "It's not even the same series anymore because it stars a woman now! None of this is canon!"