The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:17 am

In June of 2015 I was approached by employees of Miramax. They told me they were in possession of a "very large amount of animation cells and materials for this title," and no longer held the rights. They told me they were "interested in providing this material back to the proper rights holder so that it can be cared for in the manner that it deserves."

I suggested they seek out Richard Williams directly. They had had difficulty making contact with him, but were able to do so with a little help. I'm glad to see that this has been the eventual happy result.

http://www.animationscoop.com/asifa-hol ... bbler-art/
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi, I was wondering where I can download the hd widescreen versions of the workprint version, the fred calvert version and the miramax version, so far I tried on vimeo and it's not there anymore.

No version of The Thief and the Cobbler has ever been released in HD, apart from 1/3rd of the Recobbled Cut Mk4.

There have been theatrical screenings of course but not home video.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Animfan98 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:51 am

Outstanding news! At this rate, a really good official DVD/Blu-ray release might be just round the corner!
Animfan98

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:09 am

Outstanding news! At this rate, a really good official DVD/Blu-ray release might be just round the corner!

Maybe? The article said that they had cels, backgrounds and pencil drawings, though film elements would be a blessing indeed.
Dennis196492

Postby Animfan98 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Speaking of film elements, does anyone on here still have the raw HD workprint reels that were used for the Mk4? The footage is pretty neat to watch, even unrestored, and it's amazing to see the extended/alternate stuff. It'd be nice to have something a little better than a YouTube rip.

A lot of the raw materials used for the Recobbled Cuts are pretty scarce nowadays. I'm considering reuploading them in some form to some torrent sites when I get the time (and, better quality versions).
Animfan98

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:55 am

The more recently found workprint reels (which I think lasted 12 minutes - whereas the KA reels last about 50 minutes) were uploaded to Youtube as TheThiefinHD. Basically the same rips were used in the Mk4. I think the quality is more or less identical.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Animfan98 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Oh, OK, that's good to know. I've already downloaded rips of all the HD stuff that was posted on YouTube, but wanted to make sure they were of the highest quality. Thanks for the heads up!
Animfan98

Postby sabadaba92 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:27 pm

The princess and the cobbler recobbled in spanish. Edited by me with Arabian Knight intro. There is still work to be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z988NJUMQF0
sabadaba92

Postby Redsam121 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:56 pm

I have an Idea to make it look more finished. Take the workprints and trace over each frame with art software like Toon boom or Photoshop to make them look finished. It might more difficult if you don't have the original backgrounds for them.
Redsam121

Postby DaveHolmes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm

DaveHolmes

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room