Things I Say

A forum for creative people.

Re: Things I Say

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:05 am

I live in a world where people can no longer laugh at a man dressed as a woman in a cartoon because they either think it's an insensitive jab at trans/gay/whatever people, or they're just disgusted by the principle of it! Ugh.

I do think that's insensitive, so I responded as followed:

Well, the past is the past. They had different social standards and it was very transgressive for comedians to defy gender and sexuality norms at all, even as a joke [see Monty Python]. Today, it's not enough [and the same jokes made today would have a different and unpleasant meaning]. LGBT people have spent a long time fighting to be accepted rather than mocked and even murdered in the streets [statistics for trans people of color are shocking].

These jokes are not as harmless as they once were, in terms of context and content. An anti-trans joke on something like Family Guy goes very dark, and very heavy. And being treated as a joke, when there's little positive treatment in the media, gets people killed. Old cartoons also had stereotypes for every ethnicity and we're not still defending that.

These jokes, quite simply, get people killed, and always have. A couple centuries ago, minstrel shows made black people a joke in the US, and enforced whatever stereotype was considered necessary to promote the idea of former slaves being not quite human. Jokes aren't just jokes when there's an absence of good information and representation in the media for a marginalized group. Jokes aren't jokes when they turn a whole group of people into a joke, in the eyes of many, in the absence of real information.

These jokes aren't offensive to you, because of your own background, but that's not really for you or me to decide. Especially these days with shows based on "offensive humor" - there's a very fine line between "this is a joke about a man wearing a dress" and the lie that "a trans woman will never be anything more than a man in a dress" - the latter "joke," and others like it, gets people killed, and treated as something less than human.

You and I and everyone have plenty of friends who are LGBT and if something is offensive to them, I'll listen to that. I am often offended by these jokes too, but also it doesn't matter what I think as I'm not part of that group. If they're offended, it's not our place or right to say they should or shouldn't be. Or to speak for them in their absence. You are speaking for offended people in their absence to portray them as unreasonable - an easy thing to do when you're the only one talking.

You find you reexamine your attitudes to media when you hear from people who these "jokes" hurt. The media of the past was hardly harmless - it reflected the inequalities of the time, and so does media today [with America's blatant and saddening hatred of Muslims, for example]. Disney no longer puts out "Song of the South" [after the 80s] because of all the offensive minstrel-show stereotypes that were then very old, but still leaked out into the culture, and would reflect badly on the company today. [These started to die out in the culture in the 60s, as black voters demanded and achieved more rights.] If your joke is only funny because you're not the person being made fun of, that joke belongs in the past. [LGBT voters are demanding and achieving more rights now, if you haven't noticed ... and that means having a voice in the culture beyond these insensitive jokes.]
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:47 pm

So many politicians, media companies and murderous bastards these days seem to have a curiously common goal -- an endless world war pitting Christianity against Islam, with a divided electorate unable to stop it. But we have to - we have to stop this march toward a constant war against vaguely defined "terror." We are better than this, smarter. We are not the racist, terrified, militaristic sheep that so many would want us to be. We need to be better. We are better. Scattered terrorists want war. They want an overblown reaction to justify their hatred. Those in power want a war to concentrate power and control and justify our absurdly overblown military spending. War only creates more and more war. America has armed and created all its own enemies. But we as people can choose sanity. We can choose to remember that regardless of our political party or where we come from or what color our skin is, we are all human beings. And we deserve better than to always live in fear.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:52 am

On this Thanksgiving weekend, we remember and forget America's shameful genocidal past. More importantly, we come together with those who care about us. Family, perhaps, and friends. Not all of us have real family to go back to and that's more than okay. We find joy and meaning wherever we find it.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful and grateful for all of you. Friends. People I know, or barely know. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

About a month ago, I died. Or close enough anyway. The fact that I'm still here to type these words is down to you. Quite a lot of you. I'm thankful for that, and I'm thankful for you, and I'm thankful for whatever is coming next.

As the painter Bob Ross said during a tough time in his life, "Gotta have a little sadness once in awhile so you know when the good times come. I'm waiting on the good times now."

Have a happy Turkey Day.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:00 am

I don't normally feel old, but when I visited USC film school it was in a building that didn't exist when I was there, and the cameras we used to film on had been sealed in glass as museum pieces, saying dinosaurs used to film on them in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The barcode was still on the bottom for when you'd check it out for use.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:28 pm

There was the Ashton Kutcher Steve Jobs movie, then the Danny Boyle/Aaron Sorkin one with Michael Fassbender. Now a CNN documentary.

Me, I'm waiting for the Homestar Runner version, Steve Jorbs.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:08 pm

The point of Donald Trump's candidacy is not necessarily to win. It is to normalize racist ideas in the American political discourse, until truly evil and fascist ideals seem like a normal and rational part of the political spectrum, and having any compassion for other humans seems radical and a faraway dream. The point is to normalize the idea of a World War between "Christianity" and "Islam," often defined by skin color or living in North America versus Africa or Asia. It's to normalize the idea of America bombing the hell out of the other side of the world. To normalize the idea that Americans are already at war with everyone else. It's to normalize the idea of the American dream dying entirely, plunging us further into poverty and inequality, and careening toward the end of the world as we know it. They are selling fear, and nothing else. Fear and terror. Which makes Trump a terrorist, and a radical extremist. But so is every other GOP candidate, and they're allowed to seem "rational" while selling us the end of the world via a new World War. Don't buy what they're selling. And don't buy that this is a rational thing to be talking about in this way.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Zack Snyder didn't originally intend to cast Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Snyder first pitched an action sequel to The Social Network, titled "Zucker Punch." Eisenberg reportedly said Snyder was missing the point of the character. Said Snyder, "Yeah, that's basically my job at this point."
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Donald Trump just sent me a valentine.

Cuter than you'd think - it's a cartoon bee with the words "TOMORROW BEE-LONGS TO MEE"

Ted Cruz sent me a dead cat.

That's fine I guess.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Bill and Hillary Clinton talking about teens in the cities as dangerous "super predators" who need to be brought "to heel." Guess they didn't see Zootopia.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 pm

More rivalry between Disney and Warner Bros. Despite the success of Jon Favreau’s remake of The Jungle Book, Warners is moving forward with their own Jungle Book film, from Planet of the Apes star Andy Serkis. Serkis was quoted as saying, “Oo be doo. I wanna be like you. I wanna walk like you. Talk like you. Too.”
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room