Muppet Thread: The Henson Legacy

A forum for creative people.

Re: Muppet Thread: The Henson Legacy

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat May 18, 2013 9:40 am

Did we ever torrent the extended cut? It's not as if Disney gives a frog.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onw5JWny ... e=youtu.be

In 1988 Puppeteer Marcus Clarke bought a second hand domestic VHS Camera and took it with him to the set of Jim Henson's Monster Maker. This is some of what was filmed. This is the first time it has been seen anywhere.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 am

On a related note ....

We'll be doing a preservation of a rare Japanese laserdisc of Jim Henson's TV movie Monster Maker, which aired as part of the Jim Henson Hour.

Although the hourlong piece is available on Netflix, I believe that version features ghosting and frame rate issues; at least the capture of it I was given does. I may try to get Christoph Nass to figure out how to fix that one.

At any rate, the laserdisc should be clean enough; British Muppet collector Warrick Brownlow-Pike will send his laserdisc to Helge Bernhardt to be digitized and we'll see what we can do from there.

It should be a 60i pulldown of either a 25p or 24p source, and presumably the original frames can be extracted cleanly without ghosting.

It's an okay [not great] little film featuring Harry Dean Stanton as well as the UltraGorgon, arguably the most impressive monster Henson's creature shop ever built. Brownlow-Pike will be providing some rare footage of the monster for release at the same time.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ctlw83 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:On a related note ....

We'll be doing a preservation of a rare Japanese laserdisc of Jim Henson's TV movie Monster Maker, which aired as part of the Jim Henson Hour.

Although the hourlong piece is available on Netflix, I believe that version features ghosting and frame rate issues; at least the capture of it I was given does. I may try to get Christoph Nass to figure out how to fix that one.

At any rate, the laserdisc should be clean enough; British Muppet collector Warrick Brownlow-Pike will send his laserdisc to Helge Bernhardt to be digitized and we'll see what we can do from there.

It should be a 60i pulldown of either a 25p or 24p source, and presumably the original frames can be extracted cleanly without ghosting.

It's an okay [not great] little film featuring Harry Dean Stanton as well as the UltraGorgon, arguably the most impressive monster Henson's creature shop ever built. Brownlow-Pike will be providing some rare footage of the monster for release at the same time.

Monster Maker was one of my favorite pieces as part of The Jim Henson Hour. I was thinking about what have happened to the UltraGorgon puppet/monster since the 80s. I know the head had been shown in the "Behind the Scenes" episode of The Jim Henson Hour but, doubted any parts of it would still exist today.

It would be great to see this film restored and to get to see some of the behind the scenes of the Puppet/Creature itself.
ctlw83

Postby SmarTeeMackxs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Sweetums got all the ladies!
SmarTeeMackxs

Postby TheTimeWanderer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Jim Henson Company is starting up a new BBC game show. http://www.toughpigs.com/puppet-game-show/
TheTimeWanderer

Postby VinnieRattolle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 am

Aw hell, why'd I have to click this thread? The first time I saw "The Muppet Movie" on HBO, I remember whining that "The Magic Store" and the ending were different from what I'd seen in the theatre. Now I guess I need to get me a PAL DVD to see all the stuff that I've forgotten 30-some years later.

And if anyone happens to have good quality copies of the post-Jim series "Aliens in the Family," I implore you to get them circulating! My tape's pretty worn, I altogether missed the first Saturday-morning episode, my VCR choked as the finale was airing, and the videos on You Tube aren't high enough quality to put on DVD. Wasn't The Henson Company's best work, but it deserved better treatment than ABC gave it.
VinnieRattolle

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

The longer, earlier version was only ever issued on VHS, but Anathema did an edit using it which is easy enough to share.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 am

The fairly rare 1988 Henson pilot Lighthouse Island, which aired as part of The Jim Henson Hour in 1989, is now on iTunes for $4.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/light ... d644816180

http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Video/v4/ ... 891_US.jpg

It's no classic, but is chock-full of dreamlike atmosphere ... reminiscent of Twin Peaks, and actually predating it. It features Jerry Nelson in a live-action role.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room