Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Thread

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am

Rest in Peace, Bob Hoskins. Even in your least favorite movie he did, to the point of calling it your biggest mistake he ever made (which I partially agree, I wouldn't like getting my hand crushed, getting shocked so many times and having to deal with 2 directors that don't know what they're doing) but still, he played the part of Mario in that type of movie like no one ever could.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:35 am

An update on the edit, save for one scene that I still need to work with the audio, it's pretty much finished. I did all I could and I'm pretty happy with what I did with the movie even if at times things seem to get out of hand, or if the scenes without music will sound like white noise because of all the clutter I piled on top. I wanted the edit to feel rough and gritty, hopefully I achieved that.

Then there's also the blu-ray release, I watched it and I was extremely pleased by it, the amount of detail you can't see in anything other than in a HD version of the film is astounding, terrific release, I can now rest easy that people won't have to stick with the awful HD release whenever they wanna see the film. The only criticism I have for it is that the colors are not as vibrant and present like in the Swedish release, it also suffers from being slightly pink in places even though it's still not as bad as the US DVD one. I may re-do the edit using the Blu-ray, and perharps even clean up the audio better for the scenes without score, but for now I just wanna finish the one using the Swedish release.

Car Chase scene on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LSrC3RUzI
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:29 am

So something weird happened, it had to happen :zigzag: , the source for the audio of the second out of 4 parts of the movie (which includes the Mario Brothers arriving in Dinohattan, all the way to the scene where Lena speaks with Daisy) went out of synch for absolutely no reason and some other thing happened that made every single cut on the audio I made on the movie fade away for a second

This isn't new to me, when editing The Dark Crystal, towards the end I met with this problem where the progam somehow switched the isolated score track to the Funeral Scene audio track, all of the edits and volume shifts for the isolated score were intact, meaning that the audio for that one scene would loop constantly throughout the whole film, but I managed to fix this.

It will be tricky, however, to fix this one. Mainly because I don't know precisely how and why is it out of synch, and don't know what the other parts might pull on me, them being on the .VOB format and all, one of the formats Vegas is simply not fond of.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:14 am

Sounds like editing with VOBs (rather than converted video and audio files in a format like ProRes or HuffYUV) might be a serious issue. I would never edit with VOBs personally. I've only edited in Vegas on one project, years ago - thought it was an odd program compared to Premiere, FCP and Avid. How much work have you lost? Can you reload the footage? Is this a time to switch over to the Blu Ray edit instead?

I've said this, but years ago when I was trying to edit my version of The Darker Crystal, I kept losing audio sync in Final Cut Pro every time I shut the program down and opened it back up again. Probably switching from 24 to 23.98 fps and back again for some reason. Eventually I gave up on the edit entirely, in frustration.

WAV and AIF audio files don't have timecode built in, so they can be susceptible to the timecoding whims of the editing program if your settings aren't right. I used to have some serious 24p versus 23.98p issues with the Star Wars Classic Editions and so on, and would use a set-top DVD player to check the sync, and edit based on that. Haven't had problems like that in awhile though. I really make sure to keep my frame rate consistent, which is easier in the version of FCP I use now.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 am

Swithing over to Premiere and FCP is something I haven't considered for a long time, but fortunately I didn't lost anything, only the audio has gone off-synch for a quarter of the film, half of which is already pre-rendered, I should also save the other parts of the movie in case something like this happens for the other parts, as for the blu-ray edit is going to be a whole different beast from this, I hope the audio track this time separates the vocals from the music better, and that color-correcting the film doesn't prove to be such an issue.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:48 am

Good news, I fixed it, thank god. I should finish this edit already and render it so nothing bizzare like this happens again. :gopher:
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:45 am

:gopher:
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:25 pm

The film will be up at an alternate account, thanks to the recent copyright claims that honestly made no sense as the glitched Rock & Rule video is still up. Hopefully it will work, except that unfortunately Pathé is warning me about the footage (might be the whole thing with it being the Swedish DVD), and the film is going to be blocked in most European countries. :goblet:

I might try uploading Rock & Rule in that account too, who knows, might work.
Dennis196492

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room