Welcome to the new OrangeCow Forum!

A forum for creative people.

Welcome to the new OrangeCow Forum!

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 am

Let's try this again, shall we?

After over ten years at this forum, I thought a fresh start would do us good. Shake off the baggage of old times and see what the next decade has to offer.

Here's a bit of history.

The original Fastforward Forum was founded in 2001, as a place for amateur filmmakers to meet, talk and have fun. After that short trial run, FFRevolution.com was officially launched in November 2002. There was a focus on comedy and a generally irreverent spirit. We were a small group of like-minded filmmakers breaking away from a different filmmaking forum we all belonged to, and there was much more of a party atmosphere. Joke posts and characters abounded.

The site was connected to my art, writing and filmmaking company, Orange Cow Productions, as well as Fastforward, a humor magazine I and others were writing dedicated to the problems of the no-budget filmmaker. The forum was designed to promote and discuss the work of filmmakers who I admired and considered friends. Myself, I had started making films in high school in the late nineties and attended USC Cinema School from 1999-2004. The name "Orange Cow" was taken from a book of philosophy entitled The Tao of Cow, which I wrote during my early teens.

As a hub for comedic filmmakers, FFRevolution peaked in 2004, as we held several small in-person get-togethers in Los Angeles - parties to which people came from all across the country.

After I left USC in 2004, the forum very gradually evolved into more of a personal forum for myself and Orange Cow Productions. As I created new art and worked on films like Gods of Los Angeles (2002-2005) and Shamelessly (2007-), as well as DVD and film restoration projects, the forum was always a good place to post updates and get feedback. Many other filmmakers and artists and enthusiasts came and went over the years, checking in occasionally or returning after an absence.

At the beginning of 2006, a major turning point for the forum occurred with the editing of The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut. My restoration of the unfinished animated masterpiece by Richard Williams (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) was a surprise hit. It's an obscure film and I assumed only a handful of people would be interested, but I loved the film and wanted to do it justice. Surprisingly, my restoration became extremely popular, and much discussed. After 70 pages of posts at another site, the thread moved back home to Orangecow.org, where it ran for hundreds of pages and hundreds of thousands of views. The Thief Archive (http://youtube.com/thethiefarchive) was founded to gather rare video and information about the work of Richard Williams, and research is ongoing. The Recobbled Cut was revised in 2008 and 2013.

With a new focus on film restoration, criticism and scholarship, dozens of worthy film restoration projects had their start at the Orange Cow forum.

We've gone through a lot of changes over the years, but the heart of this forum is still the same. This is a small but welcoming place where if you're a creative artist, writer or filmmaker, or just interested in film and art in general, you can post your own projects, get advice and meet like-minded people. Over the years I've tried more and more to make this a place free of trolling and negativity. And I've met hundreds of people here who have enriched my life and work immeasurably. It's funny to think that many of the people posting here now were in elementary school when this forum first launched.

My name is Garrett Gilchrist. I'm an artist, writer and filmmaker. I'll be your moderator and webmaster here.

Whether you're a longtime visitor or a relatively new poster, I hope you'll find this a pleasant and creative place, where you can feel free to be yourself.

Welcome to the Orange Cow forums.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new OrangeCow Forum!

Postby Jules » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 am

I've only been visiting this forum for about two or three years (usually as an unregistered lurker) but I'm glad to be part of this rebirth!
Jules

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 am

Good to see you!

I do have all the old posts from the forum saved in coded format. It takes a few minutes of work to convert the code to readable text, but in theory with a little work I can retrieve any older post if it's really needed. I've retrieved a few important posts to get us started.

As before, the rules are that anyone's first post has to be approved by me, to discourage spammers. So if your posts don't show up at first, be patient!
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 am

Glad to see the forum up and running again! :)
SirQuacky

Postby Oliver Judd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

S'awesome! Welcome back.
Oliver Judd

Postby Nailwraps » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

Great to see the forum back! It already looks better. :)
Nailwraps

Postby TheTimeWanderer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Huzzah. It's nice to see a revamp and rebirth of the Forum. I was a little surprised coming back from vacation to find them down, but it's nice that it's new and fresh.
TheTimeWanderer

Postby ctlw83 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Glad to see the forum back.
ctlw83

Postby ChrisWTF » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Happy to see all the old faces, and hope to see some new ones! :thief:
ChrisWTF

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I've increased the maximum size you can save your avatar as, btw. Sorry about that. :zigzag: :goblet: :gopher: :slap:
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Big Round Room