A forum for creative people.

Re: 200 Motels - The Dental Hygiene Edit

Postby SirQuacky » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Beautiful! Splicing it in, :)

And if you don't mind, I'd love to add a bit of the scratch tag in there, x3
SirQuacky

Postby SirQuacky » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Partial Trailer cleanup. A few new titles but a lot left unremade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210GBrFNLIs

No, I'm not stalling, xD Youtube's taking a bit to upload the thing, and I'm still pondering over other ways to share the 720p 6GB MOV, and the PAL DL DVD DMG I've got ready, x3
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 pm

"Wowza!" - Joe
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 am

480p, but hey, it's Youtube. Anyway, it's up there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAHu6TErUQ :D

And yes, the same copyright claim for "Sven Barth & Induce are Casual Sax & The Saxual Revolution-Interlewd 2 (The Boob Groove)" was laid over some dialogue in Penis Dimension, xD
SirQuacky

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:39 am

"The True Story of 200 Motels:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHupp3ZDKAk
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 am

Cool find! I got a rip of that in a trade awhile back. Mostly the VPRO stuff, but contains a few extra interviews with Zappa in the 80's. Not to mention a short bit of the footage to 1974's "Dummy Up", :)
SirQuacky

Postby Champniss » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Fantastic work. Just catching up on it all now. Will react properly in a bit!
Champniss

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Joseph Champniss writes:
Tony Palmer's supposed 'original tapes' were discovered in a vault somewhere in the US (he asked ex-Zappa manager Herb Cohen to search them out). But on the face of it, these appeared to be discoloured PAL to NTSC tape transfers made of a completed copy of the film some time in the 70s.

The original negatives/soundtrack material discovery is intriguing... As I understand it, the chain of events ran as follows...

The film was shot, on videotape using the PAL system, from January 28th - February 5th 1971 at Pinewood - including most of the soundtrack (which was also recorded professionally using a mobile studio). Only about a third of the full shooting script was filmed before time and money ran out.

A version of the film was edited at TVR, Windmill Road, over the course of a week - also in February 1971. This rough cut wouldn't have featured titles or the animated sequence - and presumably only boasted temporary audio in terms of the music mix. Some suggestions have been made that this version was two hours and forty minutes long...

The rough cut - on 2" Ampex tape was then sent to Technicolor's Vidtronics department in Harmondsworth (not sure of the dates on this). The process involved filming three monochromatic runs of the whole tape - R, G and B channels respectively - using some then-state of the art machine (which apparently boasted something called a 'wobbulator' - which made the TV lines loop and cross over each other, eliminating them from view) - after which the three monochrome film strips were colour-dyed and printed together to make the colour rough-cut negative. In other words, the old tried and tested Technicolor process from way back when.

The rough cut negative was then shipped back to the US, whereupon Zappa had his final wicked way with it, realising the 'final cut' as we know it. Scenes were evidently cut or tightened, animation sequences and other graphics completed in April 1971 and added, some scenes dubbed with alternate songs and the full sound mix completed.

The whole thing was completed by June 1971, when it was given its MPAA rating. Registered under US copyright On October 27 1971. World premiere on October 29 1971.

The actual Ampex session tapes are long gone - the producer Jerry Goode ordered them to be sold off as 'used tape' to balance the budget. So it's likely that the only possibility of there being visual out-takes would lie in whether the edited PAL rough cut sent to Technicolor could be found. Or, failing that, the three-colour elements which were used to make the colour negative. And of course whether or not those elements haven't disintegrated into unplayable dust over the years...
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Indeed, very fascinating. It's what makes this film so important, warts and all, :D

I wonder, since MGM seems to own it now, if they'd know anything about the rough cut, or early transfers. We all know it's pointless to ask the ZFT all things considered.

Personally though, I ache to see if those 16-track recordings still exist. At least a new 5.1 soundtrack could be put together without the overdubs and shoddy mixing done on the original LP/CD to worry about, x3 And I'd pay to do that mix myself, xD
SirQuacky

Postby SirQuacky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 am

Okay, I hope these work:

720p MOV:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4aou ... 9YODk1YkU/

PAL DVD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4aou ... BuRXVmTm8/

If they don't, I'd be glad to know where people usually upload these sort of things, albeit torrents if necessary.

EDIT:
Had the permissions set to private, derp on me! xD Anyway, now set to 'anyone with the link can view', :3
SirQuacky

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room