Animation Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Animation Thread

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:Not the version with Bill Cosby though?

No, just the regular cut. I wish it was with Bill Cosby though, since then it might have some entertainment value.

Here's the June 14, 1990 draft of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, with an 11 year old Prince Adam, the Maurice version of "Be Our Guest", the deleted Music Box character (only seen for a moment before the battle at the end of the finished film), and stuff I haven't gotten too yet: https://mega.co.nz/#!IJcXwYLR!twbQGP7h0E3JEFdMIzKjpS9_SDkS5v7cdbsNAqINPTg
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:45 am

Since I completely missed out on the Platinum Editions DVDs as a child, because I felt that, as a boy, I had outgrown Disney, I have this need to collect every single Diamond Edition release, whether I have seen or actually like the movie in question. Because of that, I saw The Jungle Book for the first time in my living memory, perhaps for the first time in my life.

I have this habit of putting things in boxes and stashing them away in my brain, even when I haven't had any actual experience with them, so it's easy for me to write something off just because I assume "Eh, I probably won't like it / it won't be that good." I tend to write off animated Disney movies made after the First Golden Era (Snow White to Bambi), after the Second Golden Era (I consider Cinderella to Sleeping Beauty), and after The Renaissance (Mermaid to Fantasia 2000). So, I always just wrote off The Jungle Book thinking "This was when Walt had moved on to live action and TV and it doesn't have his personal touch, it has songs from The Sherman Brothers, and it uses xerography and I'm not really into that, and I didn't like it as a kid." (I know we had the VHS, so I asked my mom earlier today and she did say "I don't know why, but it was the one Disney movie you and your brother didn't like.) I did the same with The Phantom of the Opera musical ("It'll be too romantic and boring."), the Series of Unfortunate Events books ("It'll be too scary and gruesome!"), and even Little Shop of Horrors ("It's a sci-fi musical about a man eating plant based on a terrible movie. How can it possibly be good?"). And boy, do I love it when I'm proved wrong!

It isn't the best Disney movie, and it isn't my favorite, but it is good. Without going into Disney's restoration (or "quote-unquote 'restoration'" depending on your point of view) practices for it's animated films, it's a beautiful movie. The incidental music by George Bruns is wonderful, the score is, thankfully, a good Sherman Brothers score, the voice acting is more-or-less perfect, and the animation is some of the best I've ever seen, especially on the animals. ("I Wanna Be Like You" alone may be one of the best animated sequence I've seen.) It's also great to see Disney is still releasing the old classics as they were originally released to theaters, with the RKO / Buena Vista title-cards restored and the Walt Disney Pictures logo saved until the end. Now, if only they would stop replacing the Blue Castle logo on the Renaissance films with their current one, I would be happy.

Because of this, I'm gonna go back and watch the other films I've written off, and give The Aristocats another shot, and see how well they hold up.

Except The Fox & The Hound. I don't need that in my life.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 am

The "xeroxed" era lets you see that great Disney animation as it was originally drawn. Richard Williams has often said that The Jungle Book brought him to his knees. While there was an evident decline in quality by the time of Robin Hood et al., the animation in any Disney film is still worth seeing, especially by today's standards.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:The "xeroxed" era lets you see that great Disney animation as it was originally drawn. Richard Williams has often said that The Jungle Book brought him to his knees. While there was an evident decline in quality by the time of Robin Hood et al., the animation in any Disney film is still worth seeing, especially by today's standards.

I was very careful and made sure not to call the xerox era "bad," just that, from what I've seen of it until now, it wasn't something I was into because it looked to harsh. But The Jungle Book was able to let me appreciate it and now I'll be able to go back and watch the other "xerox films."
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:59 pm

The xerox era is superior in some ways because the art isn't being traced by other hands; these are the actual pencils of veteran Disney animators. If you've got a keen eye you can see the material is more accurate.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 am

I've just seen the first images of a CG-animated Peanuts feature. This is my response.

From the producers of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax and Garfield the Movie comes Calvin & Hobbes! The trailer for the CG-animated feature promises big adventure, romance, fart jokes and an extended kung-fu "Matrix" parody which had audiences cheering. There's little sign of the wit and wisdom which made the late Watterson's comic a hit, but we'll reserve judgement until seeing the actual film. Til then, on June 32nd, Scientific Progress Goes "Boink!"
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 pm

The Beatles Cartoon intro

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZDbTwpQ6w

You know what comes to MY mind when listening to 'And your bird can sing'? Fucking car chases, WW2 Dogfights and violent brawls between two factions
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:23 pm

http://www.animatorisland.com/the-25-fa ... animation/

About #7 - while twinning can be very bad, using the example of eyebrows is silly. Eyebrows should be twinned.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room