Movie Thread: The Dissection Room

A forum for creative people.

Re: Movie Thread: The Dissection Room

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 am

Guardians of the Galaxy is likely to be another hit for Marvel. When I saw Thor 2, it occurred to me how many actors and actresses in that movie were fully capable of carrying their own films, but were used in small supporting roles instead - possibly a bit of a waste. This trailer is very much a Chris Pratt show, with a green Zoe Saldana, and another film could have made more extensive use of Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Peter Serafinowicz, John C. Reilly, Benicio Del Toro, Lee Pace, and Karen Gillan.

The focus on comedy is what made the Iron Man series work, and The Avengers as well. This definitely has potential. It's worth noting that the Captain America sequel is helmed by the Russo brothers, of Arrested Development and Community, which should give it some humor in contrast to DC's grim releases. Chris Pratt's comic personality, familiar from NBC's Parks and Recreation, is on full display in this trailer.

This lineup of the Guardians of the Galaxy was created in 2008 by pairing up a bunch of pretty obscure Marvel characters, though it also included Adam Warlock and Quasar for awhile (obligatory for "cosmic" storylines, perhaps). To the general public, though, most comic book characters are "pretty obscure," so that doesn't matter at all. What matters is the film, which can make any character a star. Blade was also a minor player before his popular films, and a Brit, and teenage girls (and the general public) hardly obsessed over Iron Man, Thor and Loki before the films. Not to mention when films and TV series create characters that catch on, like Harley Quinn and Phil Coulson. Films and TV series always have an effect on the comics, which is another reason to be angry when they're made by people who apparently didn't read the comics, as with the X-Men films. Even back in the day, most of Superman's key traits and catchphrases originated on the radio, and were solidified in animation and on television.

Anyway, here's Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/guard ... xy-trailer
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:09 am

I can't believe that 14 years and seven X-Men movies later, we still have to deal with the moronic casting and other decisions made for the first X-Men film. I saw that one in theaters to make fun of it. It was clearly made by people with no knowledge of or respect for the comics. X2 was better and First Class was genuinely good. But here we are.

As for Marvel in general, Cap 2 may be setting up a solo Black Widow movie, and there's talk of Dr. Strange and Black Panther, as well as the various TV series [Daredevil, Luke Cage]. Not much talk of a Ruffalo Hulk movie.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 am

With the exception of Mara, this is about the worst casting imaginable for this film. Like we need a FOURTH failed Fantastic Four film. Ballet boy Billy Elliott now plays the big rocky Thing, greying supergenius Reed Richards is this dork, and Sue Storm's brother is black somehow ... As ever, most comic book movies outside of Marvel's direct control tend to be trainwrecks, with seemingly random casting not referencing the comics at all.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles ... 201099921/

Would anyone have ever guessed that these actors are those characters without being told? Or which one was supposed to be which?

How on earth is Reed three years younger than Sue? It was a perfect opportunity to cast a star actor, mid to late thirties, with an angular face (face like Hiddleston, Tennant, Jackman) and some experience. A chance to get another Robert Downey Jr.-sized character in there.

For reference, Ben Grimm was previously played by Michael Chiklis. You want a young Chiklis, a young Dean Norris. Shorter, bigger, not a leading man.

Doctor Doom is Raul Julia circa the 90s.

Sue Storm and Johnny Storm are brother and sister. He's a skinny, blond hothead, and casting a black actor is gimmicky. It'd take a better movie than this is shaping up to be to make that work.

(Jessica Alba was a moronic choice as Sue also, in the previous bad movies.)

I'm most annoyed about Ben Grimm, who is probably CGI now. Where's the big lug we knew?

It occurs to me that you could do a good job casting Fantastic Four with a younger version of the Breaking Bad cast ... and a not-younger Aaron Paul.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Sporkums » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm with you Garrett, and I like your casting ideas.
Uncle Sporkums

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 am

So, Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing. Good movie. The cast really bring the script to modern life, and it's nice to see familiar faces doing good work. If you're a Whedon fan, these are people you've wanted to see more of, and it's a very solid American cast. There's clever staging and physical business. Nathan Fillion plays Dogberry as Captain Hammer, to good effect, wringing every last laugh out of his scenes.

As a counterpoint I'm also watching the 2011 London production with Doctor Who stars David Tennant and Catherine Tate - my copy sadly suffering from a low frame rate. Also a modern take. They're playing it onstage as a big, broad comedy as opposed to the more muted and dramatic American film, and hitting and finding the laughs in the text. Also worthwhile, though it's no surprise that Tate shouts and plays to the rafters - as does Tennant, who did an excellent Hamlet in 2009. Your mileage may vary on Tate, as per usual. The villain here is snivelling and camp, which sort of starts to explain his motivations. Curiously they play what seems to be an original song designed to replace and mimic Bonnie Tyler's "I Need a Hero." The "Hey Nonny Nonny" song is pleasant here, and more pleasant in Whedon's film.

The whole thing devolves into a lot of shouting about 2/3 of the way through act one.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 pm

"I made [Watchmen] to save it from the Terry Gilliams of this world." - Zack Snyder

Wow. Snyder is an ass.

I shut off Snyder's film after only a few minutes, unable to deal with such a lack of comprehension of the source material. Gilliam is incapable of making a film worse than that - whatever he'd have done, it would have been interesting at the very least, and done practically, in the post-Batman 89 days. We missed out.

But Gilliam constantly sabotages himself, with the happy help of Hollywood, and would have had difficulty making a "big" film of that sort.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Scarlett Johansson is pregnant. That puts some pressure on Avengers 2 to shoot her scenes before she starts showing. I hope they're ready. With the technology and budget of an Avengers 2 there's a lot that can be done to prevent it getting too awkward - Iron Man 3 shot a bunch of scenes without Robert Downey Jr., which is a little ridiculous, but hey, they've got the money. I suspect there may be some choppy or strange editing, and effects to get round Johansson's absence and pregnancy, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

When Danny DeVito first joined the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, they shot all of his scenes for the season in just a few days, which is even more crazy - they had to have every single episode written and prepped and ready.

I will say that Joss Whedon has a bad track record on this, though. On Angel he punished Charisma Carpenter badly when she got pregnant, phasing her out very gradually before finally firing her - nearly ruining the show in the process.

I doubt it'll happen in the Avengers films, since these characters are almost all carrying their own franchises, but Joss has a history, on his TV series, of being petty about things. We grow very attached to these characters, but maybe behind the scenes Joss isn't getting along with them or as interested anymore. And he loves a good death. He's got a habit of discarding popular characters like spent garbage - female ones especially.

Anyway, if one of the Avengers heroes doesn't seem to be getting much screentime, or becomes a punching bag, we can take a guess why.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room