200 Motels - Dental Hygiene Edit Version 4

A forum for creative people.

Re: 200 Motels - The Dental Hygiene Edit

Postby SirQuacky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:01 am

Oh well, I was just about to announce that, x3 Thanks for posting the links Garrett!
It's fantastic news! Through and through, :3 A big thanks to someone I'll simply call Marty.

(I'm typing this from a beat down Acer laptop that barely loads. The moment I can afford a machine to do my artwork again this little edit will go forward! You all have my "darling sister" to thank for barging in and making threats, and most importantly taking away my machine.)

Now, onto the transfer...

There's a CRC error on 'part04' so Lucy's line "Eww, on the pillows!" and a few seconds of audio and video from Jimmy Carl's line "...must've been a com[unist!]" to Ringo's first "[H]ello there..." are missing. Though I have made an email about it, I have the feeling this CRC error will always be there, but I'm hopeful.
Turns out it was a defective file after all, got the new one and re-unzipped. Though the lines mentioned are still missing, it's patchable!

Here's the great news. It's 1080i (it's framerate is 29.97 though that's fixable, or at least should be, I've made tests in the past), it's open matte (yes, you heard me), the colours look oh so spiffy, and the audio dosen't have that mess of artefacts the one online does, and it's fake stereo in nearly all places. An exception would be an extra trumpet and/or cello I heard in the background of 'Centerville', but apart from that it's nearly all reverberated mono material.

There's a small watermark in the bottom right corner, but thankfully it doesn't obscure much. An occasional banner for "You're watching the exclusive world HD premiere of 200 Motels" does, though thankfully it's not on too much. though this film was meant to be soft-matted to something along the lines of 1.66:1, so in my mind their not big nuisances.

Anyway, the transfer looks great for what we've had to live with for the past few decades. That's for sure!

For an assortment of screenshots in no particular order, they should be here: Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
SirQuacky

Postby Champniss » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:18 pm

What are your thoughts on the United Artists ident at the top of the MGM HD broadcast? The metallic slow-rotating affair which, as far as I'm aware, dates from the 1980s (and also appeared at the start of the old VHS editions of 200 Motels). So the open matte print they're using here most likely dates from around then.

Presumably, however, original 1971 prints used the 'Entertainment from Transamerica Company' UA ident (example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPp3uYy6XLA ). The last time I made any attempt at 'remastering' the film, I edited that ident in (or an equivalent thereof which I Flash-animated myself!).

Gonna go through all my old notes later, see if I can find some interesting bits and pieces which may be of use. In the absence of a shooting script, there are at least plenty of interviews in which Zappa described certain scenes in intimate detail. Pretty sure I did a speculative list of what the scenes originally consisted of based on Ulrich's breakdown too.
Champniss

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Most sources date the rotating logo to 1982.

http://www.myfilmviews.com/2012/03/15/t ... ists-logo/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq53bODgPAc

Let's see your Flash reconstruction of the Transamerica logo .... :D
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Champniss » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Yeah, that'll be right. The original PAL VHS was around then. Pre-cert too. The presence of the logo on the HD print suggests it was physically part of the reel - which also suggests that UA struck a fresh print in the early 80s for cinematic release...

...which rather ties in with a reference on 'Teenage Wind' (from the You Are What You Is LP, 1981) where the protagonist sings about going "to a midnight show of 200 Motels". Often wondered if there'd been a Rocky Horror-style cult film circuit revival around that time.
Champniss

Postby Champniss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 am

Just found this post to Zappateers - a lengthy chunk of an abandoned page (in a similar vein to the Monkees Head site):

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic. ... 977#230634

There's a lot more of that stuff on some disc, somewhere...!

Oh, and here's the UA Transamerica reconstructed logo...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o1nuo3
Champniss

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 am

Very nice work on the logo.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby SirQuacky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:00 am

Indeed, very clean work! :3

That Zappateers section is a great bit of reference. On the logo though, I have to say I've never really minded the 1982 UA logo, might just be that music. But the Transamerica one would be a little more faithful to the original, which would be ideal in many ways.

Here though I thought this transfer would've been recent, but looking at this open matte version, despite the MGM logos tacked on the front and end, it does seem to have a lot of the same distortions the original PAL VHS had. Notably the opening credits which always appear slightly askew, though that could've always been that way. So this might be from the 80's! In hue, as the VHS was overly red, this transfer is overly purple! So not all hues can win. I must add the skin tones really fluctuate throughout. Take a look at Strictly Genteel compared with the Nun Suit section and Motorhead's face has gone from yellowish to a purple smothered complexion in the finale. And he's not the only one, xD

In my mind this calls for some colour correction, but I'll have to see in time when I can play around with that. I don't have access to my notes at the moment.
SirQuacky

Postby Champniss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:54 am

There's a very odd anomoly during the opening credits - which I also noticed was present on whatever source you used for the Dental Hygiene edit - just as the final title credit finishes and we see that Super 8 close up of a hand driving, Theo Bikel's opening "Ladies and gentleeeeeeeen..." is missing from the soundtrack. Instead the two or so seconds of drumbeats which immediately follow it are played twice...!

Aye, there's certainly a bit of colour fluctuation throughout - it was the scene between Rance and Jimmy Carl Black which stood out there - pretty heavy contrast.
Champniss

Postby SirQuacky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 am

It's on the VHS both NTSC I own and the PAL rip I got, it's also on the Laserdisc, and even this HD transfer! It appears to all intents an purposes be exactly how the soundtrack is. Not to mentioning the whizzing and warbling sound effects laid over it. Though it very clearly is a tape edit as you say. When I had my audio software there was a clear dropout where a splice would've been made.
Maybe it's a patch job. Maybe at the last minute Zappa decided he liked a double set of drumbeats over BIkel's opening line? We know what a razor blade fiend he was in the early days, xD

If I were to also do some colour work, I might try to use the Ryko trailer as a guide in certain places, not all, but I kinda like that overbearing green hue, xD
SirQuacky

Postby Champniss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:26 am

That's curious... Seen countless versions over the years and this is literally the first time I've ever encountered that audio anomoly! The two 'full movie' rips on YouTube are fine (a laserdisc version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3T-YNJToBM) and a weird wobbly capture of the French subtitled VHS here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwpOXYZHxI). Even the Tony Palmer edition doesn't have the doubled-up edit. All of these have the extra sound effects though.
Champniss

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room