A forum for creative people.

Re: What are you working on?

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 pm

I .... that is weird, with the visual.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm not great at promoting myself. I've tried to do that a little better this week. Back in September I released a nearly-finished version of the Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4. The internet at large didn't notice. More people have noticed this week, since I made a clearer announcement about it.

It's hard to fight the waves of bad internet publicity that can come out of nowhere thanks to trolls and nonsense. The internet in general is a powerful but very fickle tool. It takes a lot of good publicity and interest to get anywhere. With anything. I've been lucky with The Thief project. A lot of good people have helped me. Other projects which were just as worthy stalled in their tracks - like the Doctor Who animation project in 2008. With all the content and noise of the internet, it's hard to get people to understand and pay attention to good projects and ideas.

My own website is so outdated that it does very little good now.

I've had an idea for awhile now that I think would be a wonderful thing. I'd like to create a website for Orange Cow which reads like an adventure game. You go around talking to characters, and learn more about what Orange Cow does, as well as there being a story developing. I'd like to do this in as elegant a fashion as possible, and have it feel like an actual game.

Is there anyone who'd like to help me brainstorm this out? My skills at web programming are very old-fashioned and I know there is so much functionality now, especially in HTML5, that can really bring a site to life.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 am

There are a few ideas that have been floating around in my brain for a while that I'm starting to seriously think about writing.

The first one is Little Shop of Horrors: A Modern Day Faustian Tale, a novelization of Little Shop of Horrors. When I remembered one had been made, I looked for it online, expecting it to be in the style of the Star Wars novelization by Alan Dean Foster, as well as many others (the Man of Steel novelization by Greg Cox always pops into my head for some reason), and I was irked to find out it was basically a summary of the movie with mostly the lyrics and pictures. Always wanting to spread my writing wings, I started thinking "I might be able to write one." I'm thinking about how I can break it up into chapters (with titles like "Somethin' Outta' Edger Allan Poe" and "A Match Box of Our Own"), how I can explore the characters and backgrounds, how I can reverse-engineer the songs into text, and about if I should include the happy ending in a "Heroic Edition." My main concern is if my writing skills are good enough to do it.

The rest need a small introduction, which is that for about eight years now, I've had this group of characters in my head called The Gang. Starting out as a couple original characters in a fan-script for Family Guy I started writing when I was about 13, I've developed a show and a universe around them. In short, they're a group of well-known performers, modeled on The Rat Pack and The State, who do albums, films, TV shows, sketches, specials, and sketches. Occasionally, I'll try writing one of their projects.

One I'm really starting to consider writing is a musical adaptation of Disney's Cinderella. (In The Gang universe, the group performed a week of shows in Disney World, each night performing an adaptation of a Disney film.) I've already done some basic outlining on it, deciding on the songs I could use (a mix of the film's songs, songs written for but not used in the film, and a couple of the R&H Cinderella songs), what I can bring from the various of the original story, and how I can adapt the non-human characters.

One I really want to write is a remake of the MGM version of The Wizard of Oz. (In The Gang universe, two members of the group, Kevin Swanson, a holdover from the FG fan-fic origins, and Jewel Taylor were contracted under MGM for a time, and their last project for the studio was a remake of the classic film, based off of a musical version they did in high-school, with the rest of The Gang.) It would be based off of the film and the original book, make the dream idea more ambiguous, the songs from the film, original songs based off of the classic songs (which I wanna see if I can do), and the inclusion of some previously cut storylines, the main one being a romance between Dorothy and Hunk (both now 16). Also, i the universe, there were two versions of the movie made; the family version that's much closer to the original film (and includes the cut "Jitterbug" number), and the more serious Gang version, that's a bit darker and is a bit more grown up. So, I'll be writing both versions simultaneously.

That's one of the few ideas that's been with the characters since almost day one, and I really wanna see if I can write it.

Two smaller ideas, both from the Disney World idea, are adaptations of Alice in Wonderland and Aladdin. The Alice in Wonderland adaptation, titled Jewel in Wonderland, is the only full Gang adaptation Disney let the group do, and it's about Jewel coming back to MGM after rehab, falling asleep in the park / her yard while trying to write something, and visiting Wonderland in her dream, where everyone fro her life, including The Gang, gets parodied as it's inhabitants.

The Aladdin adaptation is the one true Gang adaptation that was written for the week of shows that Disney outright refused to let them perform because of the addition of some adult themes and language. Written by Gang founder Mickey Griffin, Aladdin's friends were included in the script, as well as alot of Howard Ashman's original score, and made Aladdin a bit rougher, working under the idea of "He's a street-rat. Realistically, he would swear and curse and make a couple dirty jokes. He's still a good, sweet guy, but he would be rough around the edges, and, for us, that makes Prince Ali a bit funnier." They also changed Genie to the female Jinn, allowing Jodie, the group's main impressionist, play the role. (I imagine that Disney allows The Gang to release a free PDF of the script, so I would also try to write a forward by Mickey for this.) I wanna see if I can write this, but I'm afraid of how it'll turn out and if it would be total crap.

So those are the ideas I'm thinking about doing. Should I go forward on any of them or should I just scrap it all?
JustinHoskie

Postby M-M » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:09 am

I have a screenplay…

I've said too much already.
M-M

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Expanding on what I said earlier, I am now very tempted to create a video game / visual novel based around some characters I've been kicking around but have barely sketched yet. It's more female-driven than The Chosen Ones (the first Chosen Ones script, anyway).

Justin, you're still very much in fanfiction mode with all your ideas. That's fine when you're in your teens but at a certain point you really will have to "file the serial numbers off" and remove any obvious elements from an existing show or property. Maybe you don't need to do that yet. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by something - Disney, animation, Howard Ashman / Alan Menken, and musical theater in general. It's how all artists start, to an extent. But I feel that as long as you're in fanfiction mode that's still "training mode." You're doing a tutorial, playing around in an existing world to make things easier on yourself. It takes a lot of self-reflection to figure out what you're really connecting with in the pieces you're borrowing from, and what your own true voice is. And to pull out the really important elements of what's in your head right now, into something that has its own universe.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby GeoNine » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:31 pm

I've actually been wanting to do work on a video game and had a few ideas floating around for personal projects, but if you're going to be trying to make a video game Garret I'd be willing to lend a hand or just give some tips I've learned from my experiences. I don't have much to show since none of my stuff every really got anywhere so far (nothing to market or distribute) but I can at least help get things moving at the very least.

One game I'm starting now is a small match-3 type game but it uses slightly different mechanics than normal. I've got the mechanics and concept down and I'm working on actual design and fine-tuning the new mechanics so that they'll hopefully translate well when coding.

Besides that I'm just doing vectors and art. Got a new art journal so hoping to start filling that up.
GeoNine

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Help would be nice. (Hit me up on FB or DA or Google?) I'm intending to use Ren'Py, which is a simple scripting engine. I originally wanted to do this as a webpage, but Ren'Py doesn't have that functionality. Namco High was an inspiration. A lot of work is needed to make it look fancy but the basic language is as simple as HTML or BASIC or breathing.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:00 am

So ... I wrote the first chapter of a videogame today. Already playable, though without graphics yet. Might have a demo before too long.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Quick things Justin (on Wizard of Oz): We would expect "dumps" to rhyme with "laugh," depending on what you're going for. Since words like "sadness" and "gladness" have been rhymed many times before, in many, many different songs, make sure that your lyrics have a certain attitude and character somewhere, a certain passion. There's a reason, for example, why it's "Have yourself a merry little Christmas," with the "little," and why it originally was "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." A song has to have a point of view, which can be a little difficult to shoehorn in. The key to character, in fact, is usually what's wrong with them. What their flaws are.

If this is a screenplay, scene descriptions wouldn't be bracketed, although that can help in this context and they're easy to replace out I suppose. A screenplay would try to keep description to a minimum, only hinting at emotion and anything else that can't directly be shown onscreen, while making sure the director would still know enough to film the thing correctly in context.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:57 pm

These are really in no shape to be shared, but I've been roughing out early design ideas for my video game, which is called Esperia. I'd forgotten how difficult it was to create the Chosen Ones characters, and this has presented similar challenges.

http://sta.sh/23xqeed0q9c

Oh, and here's the most recent ponies - OC work I've been doing with Firestorm-CAN on coloring duty.

http://sta.sh/2e3xpchd0pq
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room