The Darker Crystal: A FanEdit

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Darker Crystal: A FanEdit

Postby ctlw83 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 am

I watched the Darker Crystal last night and was extremely impressed. It really was like watching a completely different film. There was a lot more suspense because of the various languages and the lack of the narrator. This is how the film should have been released.

While I have always marveled at the technical wizardry of Henson in the puppets and other elements of the film, it tended to feel drawn out in the official cut. Again, this was partially because everything was spelled out for the audience, which was never the original intent. With The Darker Crystal, I wasn't bored and was actually engaged with the film. You HAD to pay close attention because the dialogue didn't necessarily TELL you what was going on. Instead, it was SHOWN and you had to watch to get the message.

The technical quality of The Darker Crystal cut was pretty darn good. That being said, there were some random flickers in the image at time. I am unsure as to whether this was due to the edit itself, or due to the WMV file format. Either way, it didn't bother me enough to detract from my opinion on the film.
ctlw83

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Thank you for your kind words, and yes, I did let some things slip in the edit, like jump cuts and too much workprint audio in some sections. :goblet: , I'm sorry about that.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Dennis196492

Postby Nobies » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:24 pm

list of changes?
Nobies

Postby Dennis196492 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Sure.

- No Intro narration
- Scene of the Ur-Ru chant is moved to later on the film
- The Wisest of the Ur-Ru death scene was re-edited to match the Workprint version
- Skeksis now speak their own language, the way it was intended to be
- Workprint cue of the Garthim General's victory added
- Different voice for Aughra
- Additional dialogue at the planetarium
- Ur-Ru flashback at the planetarium removed
- Aditional voice-overs removed
- Extended explanation of the Dreamfast
- The Gelfling Song scene has the Workprint and the Theatrical sound playing together
- Workprint dialogue on the Podling party (Jen saying ''Then I don't want to go, ever!'')
- Jen's voiceovers are removed
- Aughra saving Fizzgig doesn't has any dialogue
- Aughra's delivery of the poem in the ending is now extended by a line.

That's basicaly it, Not so much. I deleted a few scenes here and there, mostly because they were not on the Workprint, like Aughra saying in the Theatrical ''You are taking too long, Gelfling, hurry!'' and the Garthim General saying something about the Chamberlain's robes after the Scientist takes Kira.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I've watched a third of the film, and I commend you on doing this.

My one note would be that the workprint audio is usually quiet compared to the music. The full-volume theme music at 12:50 and 23:38 blows out the speakers while understanding Aughra or the Dying Uru takes all the volume VLC has. There did appear to be some minor jump cuts and retiming, but I wasn't sure what was my system playing back the file in a quirky way, and what was present in the edit.

Juggler Ted on FB has requested a smaller version, perhaps 1GB. Personally I feel that the 3.5 GB version is already very compressed, but something like that on Mega might outlive the torrent.

Excellent work, can't fault it.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Right Away, then.

I'll certainly fix the volume and the stuff I overlooked, but I seriously don't know about the jump cuts/flickers because of the .wmv format, Rock & Rule was .wmv, and it didn't seemed like there was a problem with it.

1GB is out of the question for this one, it's already very compressed, and reducing it to 1GB would might as well release it as an SD version, but I don't blame people, the seeds were terribly slow.
Dennis196492

Postby Dennis196492 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

skekKot, the Skeksis "?" In the screenplay is none other than the High Priest, since he was the only one spreading his arms.

Anyway, I'm currently fixing The Darker Crystal, but unfortunately my computer gave his last breath and died, so it's not cominh out soon.

During my trip to Google, I stumbled upon some comic books, one that is the official Marvel Comics Adaptation, to which it was listed as issue 24, and issue 25 is none other than Rock & Rule, quite a coincidence.

Myths of The Dark Crystal, a Dark Crystal book with artwork; the original, unaltered version of the screenplay, the true fate of the 35mm version of the Test Screening cut, all that kind of stuff I'd love to know about.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Still on Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/Habidabad
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby FloorMat116 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Forgive me for knowing nothing about this project, as I haven't looked though the entire thread nor have I seen the theatrical version of the film. Complete newbie here.
I stumbled upon this post on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments ... k_crystal/
Is this the same project? If not, how is it different and which version do you all recommend I watch?
FloorMat116

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKdqvpLb-s

This looks like a completely different version by a different editor, but based on the same concept - that is, using the original workprint audio. However, I believe only the workprint audio is used here.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room