The Video Games Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm

With my niece playing various Gamecube games, I've gotten into the era myself. But I have some complaints.

It often feels like Nintendo wasn't really trying with its core franchises during the Gamecube era, or was trying something different. The Wii releases show them back on track, concentrating on the gameplay that won us over on the NES, SNES and N64. Smash Bros. Melee of course plays like the N64 version, but on Gamecube we got Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion rather than more traditional Mario games. On the Wii we got New Super Mario Bros. and two installments of Galaxy, all very classic-style Mario adventures. Galaxy being new in a way I can get behind. There was Kirby's Air Ride on the Gamecube, a racing game, while the Wii got Return to Dreamland and Epic Yarn, both traditional Kirby adventures. StarFox experimented with an Adventure. I'm sure there are other examples if I knew what I was talking about.

This continued to other franchises, with Final Fantasy, Mega Man, and others getting unusual Gamecube installments.

And then there's Zelda. I was never a Zelda fan, so I probably shouldn't comment on this, but the original NES games and the N64 games are all very traditional, iconic adventures. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess I've found a little bit hard to get into. I'm sure they're just fine Zelda games, but they take a little while to get to the action, and experiment with different graphics styles - South Park and Peter Jackson respectively. The original NES game was for young players and got to the point quickly, unlike any game made today. From what little I've played, Skyward Sword for the Wii is what a Zelda game ought to be, I think. You're doing interesting things pretty quickly and the sword action with the Wiimote is pretty great. Zelda is also in it from the start.

The GBA game "Minish Cap," from a quick play the other night, also gets to the point quickly, and involves Zelda in the opening. Like the first NES game, it's not long before you're slaying Octoroks. No Octoroks in the first stages of the Gamecube and Wii games .... except, oddly, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Wait, what? Why is Mario fighting Octoroks? Go home Nintendo, you are drunk.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ctlw83 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm

GOG.com is having a pretty awesome deal through tomorrow on a LOT of games, up to 85% off. I got the entire Back to the Future game, all 5 parts, for $3.74 ! They had Torchlight for free the past couple of days.
ctlw83

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Nice. I played the first part of Back to the Future awhile back. And the first part of Telltale's Monkey Island.

I'm so in debt that I don't buy things, but Guilty Gear is tempting.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby segagamer99 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/strider/strider.htm
http://www.lscmainframe.net/
http://capcom.wikia.com/wiki/Junko_Tamiya

I'd like to talk about a game that I am rather fond of. :gopher:

"Strider Hiryu" was one of the Capcom greats back in the day. It was meant to be a multimedia project, consisting of a manga, a Famicom/NES game, and an arcade game. The one I am talking about is the arcade platformer, very loosely based on the manga unlike the NES one, and was one of the first CPS-1 games. You play as an acrobatic assassin named Hiryu, the best of the Striders. He is assigned to destroy the evil Grand Master Meio, and take down his (Communist) Regime, traveling to various locations on Earth and in the sky.

Strider is widely celebrated in the hardcore gaming community for many things. Exhilarating gameplay, voices in various languages during cutscenes (revolutionary for the time), the outstanding soundtrack (composed by a woman, Junko Tamiya), impressive graphics and fun references (Solo, the bounty hunter, is based off of Boba Fett, and the communist Uroboros attacks Hiryu with a hammer and sickle).

Naturally, the game was a success and ported to many systems. The versions I own are the Arcade on PS2, and the PC Engine Arcade CD-Rom. The Genesis version was the first 8 MB cart for the system, and extremely faithful. Some even say the game plays better than the original! The PCE version however, was in development hell for a very long time. After going from HuCard, to CD-Rom, the port was released on to Arcade CD-Rom. While the PC engine version has a CD soundtrack, an exclusive desert stage and animated cutscenes, the color palette is horrid, choppy scrolling, and less graphically faithful than the less powerful Genesis version. :zigzag:

Strider wound up having a few sequels and clones which I unfortunately have not played. U.S. Gold, makers of the computer ports, made a Strider sequel on the Genesis. But, this was a horrifying sequel that had little resemblance to the arcade masterpiece. A game on the SNES, Run Sabre, is similar to Strider, yet I have not seen videos of it. Osman was an attempt by the original designer as his version of a Strider sequel. But later, Capcom would make a Strider 2 without his help, releasing the game on Arcade and PS1.

The original designer has now made a new spiratural sequel, called Moon Diver, for PSN and XBox Live. The game is considered to be a "Strider 3", and has 4 player co-op!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Diver

Thanks for reading! Check out the links at the top. :yumeye:
segagamer99

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 pm

I think I owned the NES version back in the day, which had a different (and, for a young kid, confusing) story and setup than the arcade and Genesis versions. I liked the game but found the gameplay confusing as well. I could crack open the Genesis or Arcade versions though. I know it was a key game at the time and very popular in any version. The attempts to Americanize it didn't help matters on either NES or Genesis - check out some of that box art!

Here's Moon Diver. Looks a little odd that the lead characters are glowing all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqBgTYWi9Q4
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby FirestormCAN » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 am

I got a chance to play the free weekend of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed on Steam and MY GOD is it glorious. It handles so much better than the first game (specifically the Wii version), there's a lot more balance (no more HOPS from Shadow), and there's lots of variety in game modes. It feels much more natural, I had a lot of fun with it. Wish I could've bought it at its sale price. TT~TT
FirestormCAN

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

A good Sonic racing game? Huh.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby GeoNine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Is it odd that while I've never played the original Duck Tales on the NES, I'm looking extremely forwards to the HD remake? Like some kind of alternate-nostalgic appreciation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d1A2row6I
GeoNine

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room