Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

A forum for creative people.

Re: Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

Postby JustinHoskie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:15 pm

There's a reason why I'm excited when I see a Bonnie Milligan performance show up in my YouTube sub box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFBCDk4eE4I
JustinHoskie

Postby adventuremaster18 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD ... WJzB1pDOts

I saw that Little Shop of Horrors animated series playlist you posted, but recently I found a few more episodes/related videos to the series, including a dubbed episode. Here is a playlist I made of those.
adventuremaster18

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:53 pm

adventuremaster18 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD9k-vu8v3aNnsxIN6RHRY7WJzB1pDOts

I saw that Little Shop of Horrors animated series playlist you posted, but recently I found a few more episodes/related videos to the series, including a dubbed episode. Here is a playlist I made of those.

Thanks for this! I stumbled upon it last night and it helped me figure out what had already been posted. Speaking of which...

Little Shop | 1991 | The Animated Series
Little Shop was a French-American Television Series that aired on Fox & La Cinq (a defunct French Television Network) in 1991. Little Shop ran for only 13 half-hour episodes until it ended only two months after its premiere in September of 1991. The horror elements that were in the musical & movie adaptations were cut for a more child-friendly tone.

I've had a DVD set for this series for about 6 months now, but my DVD drive stopped working and I haven't been able to upload them until now. (Unfortunatly, the ninth episode doesn't seen to be burned right and it refuses to play or rip on anything.) It feels good to have this finally up, and to be able to mostly complete this unlikely Holy Grail of lost media.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:54 pm

It's interesting that your "Strange and Interesting" cut uses so much workprint audio and video. The quality difference is a big jump but it definitely shows the difference with the earlier cut without being jarring.

It helps that the workprint is watchable enough quality.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Plants by Dave Ronzone (bfestudios at gmail)
http://imgur.com/a/0ki54
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Here's a complete inventory of all the recordings currently housed in the Howard Asman Archives at the Library of Congress: https://mega.nz/#!5JVzwZBC!fPpPmuJap4fb ... XjZmxc6zv4

With 354 items in total, this collection contains over 40 tapes from Howard's work on Little Shop of Horrors, including demos, performance recordings, and discussions with both him and Alan Menken. Some recordings of note include:
  1. A BMI Session where Ashman and Menken perform a read thru of an early version of the script and score (possibly the abandoned original score).
  2. A demo to "A Little Bit Anemic," a previously unknown cut song, as well as to a cut reprise to "Feed Me."
  3. A March 8, 1984 interview with Ashman and Menken by WBAI.
  4. Demo recordings to Boris Bergman's 1984 French translation of the sore.
  5. Worktape and demo recordings to all the songs written for the film ("Some Fun Now," "Meen Green Mother from Outer Space," "Bad," "Bad Like Me," "Thunder Crash," "Your Day Begins Tonight," and "Crystal, Ronnette, and Chiffon").
  6. Rick Moranis' audition tape (a recording of "Grow for Me").
The collection also includes demos by various other songwriters, including an unproduced adaptation of "The Honeymooners" (with music and lyrics by Alan Menken), Maury Yeston's "Nine" and (the unproduced) "Pope Joan," and also Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera." Because why the hell not.

The collection is made available (by request) at the Library of Congress' Recorded Sound Research Center and can be listened to by anyone in possession of a Reader Identification Card. More information can be found here: http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/

To help support my trip to the Library of Congress, as well as a possible future release of some of these materials, check out my GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/lsoh-loc-research
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm

An interesting factoid can be inferred from the Howard Ashman Archive's tape collection inventory.

Sometime around April of 1985, as preproduction on Little Shop of Horrors was underway (leading up to the start of film's shooting in October of that year), the actors began recording their parts of the score. During this chunk of recording, Rick Moranis recorded Seymour's Soliloquy in "The Meek Shall Inherit" and Ellen Green recorded "Somewhere That's Green" on April 2. Two days later, it appears Tichina Arnold, Michelle Weeks, and Tisha Campbell recorded selections of The Urchins' parts of the score, likely with session singers, including the introduction to "The Meek Shall Inherit" and "Some Fun Now". Also included in this recording session is a listing for "Bad."

Though later replaced by "Mean Green Mother from Outer Space," it appears as though "Bad" made it far into the production of the film, as not only was it storyboarded in preparation for shooting, the demo to "Mean Green Mother" is dated February 2, 1986, four months into filming.

"Bad" - Finished Demo - Ron Taylor vocals

I've also come across this small write up from the September 22, 1986 issue of New York Magazine, about the news of Little Shop's reshoots. And it's... interesting...

HORRORS RESHOOTING FINAL SCENE
David Geffen and Warner Bros. are reshooting the ending of Little Shop of Horrors, and a Hollywood source says it’s because they are worried about the reaction at a sneak preview. The story of the “young botanical genius who finds fame and misfortune in his efforts to satisfy the insatiable appetite of a bloodthirsty Venus’s-flytrap" is being produced by Geffen Films and directed by Muppet puppeteer Frank Oz. It stars John Candy, Steve Martin, SCTV’s Rick Moranis, and Ellen Greene, who is re-creating her Off-Broadway role.

“The reaction at the screening was terrific, up to the point where the plant started eating the main characters," the source says. "That turned people off, because this isn’t a creepy movie, this is a musical. And you go in with a certain mind-set."

But Geffen says that’s nonsense. "The response at the sneak was the best in the history of Warners," he says. "The only reason we’re changing the ending is that the movie’s such a hit, they want to do a sequel. And you can’t do a sequel if you kill off the hero at the end."
JustinHoskie

Postby JustinHoskie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 pm

There’s a moment late in Act II of “Little Shop” that I love. It’s not something that’s written, but it’s in every single video and recording of the scene I see and hear. It’s the moment after Seymour tells The Plant “That’s my last offer. Yes or no?”

There’s a pause. In the background, we hear “Suddenly Seymour” / “Somewhere That’s Green.” On stage, Audrey enters and leans on the fire-escape, troubled by something. The Plant, though unable to see her, looks off in her direction, sensing her presence nearby. And though you don’t see it, you can just picture the sinister grin forming on its lips.

In that moment, there’s a hush in the audience. A hush so palpable, you can cut it with a knife. The audience members who know that material, and know what’s coming, begin bracing themselves.

The audience members who don’t know the material are all hit with the same thought. “He… He’s not going to kill her, right? I mean, this is a camp musical. The good guys have to win. The Plant dies and Audrey and Seymour live a nice suburban life. That’s what has to happen at the end. Right?” The scene then resumes and the thought is abandoned, though the seed had been planted for the possibly of a tragic end.

This moment, though small, sets up the tragic death of Audrey beautifully.
JustinHoskie

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room