Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

A forum for creative people.

Re: Little Shop of Horrors Deleted Scenes Leaked

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Here's a rundown of all of the Little Shop workprint material available at the Libray of Congress' Moving Image Research Center. The items have been digitized and are available for viewing by researchers in possession of a Reader Identification Card.

Notably, none of the workprints listed quite match up to the leaked workprint, which runs about an hour and forty minutes.

• Screen tests -- 0:09:57
  • 1/2/1986 -- Excerpts -- 1:08:18
  • 1/6/1986 -- Excerpts -- 0:13:32
  • 1/18/1986 -- 0:52:28
  • 1/31/1986 -- Excerpts -- 0:20:47
  • 2/22/1986 -- Excerpts -- 0:07:05
  • 3/24/1986 -- 1:31:40
  • 8/7/1986 -- 1:42:55
  • 8/22/1986 -- 1:28:51
  • 10/1/1986 -- Excerpts -- 0:27:14
  • UNDATED -- Excerpts -- 0:20:12
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:45 pm

According to That Hashtag Show, Warner Bros. are eyeing Josh Gad and Rebel Wilson as their leads in their Little Shop remake. https://thathashtagshow.com/2017/07/exc ... rs-remake/

If true, I'm comfortable with Gad playing Seymour, and I feel like he would be able to not play him as just the sympathetic nerd, but give him the backbone and character development needed to make the apocalyptic ending work. I'm a bit more hesitant about Wilson, but I do like her, and she has the vocal chops for it, so if she's directed well and manages to keep Audrey's sweetness and innocence, I think she could be great. A chubby Seymour and Audrey would not have been my first instinct, but it would be different, which is what I'm hoping this remake will be, especially with the direction they'll go with Audrey. (Don't give me another carbon copy of Ellen Greene's Audrey. Give me something new. Give me something different.) Also, Iord knows I want someone to cast Bonnie Milligan as Audrey, so I'm open to the idea no matter what.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 am

ugh no
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Little Shop: Breakdown of late Original Cut of Film

Postby JustinHoskie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Here's a breakdown of Howard Ashman's August 22, 1986 workprint of "Little Shop of Horrors," available for viewing at the Library of Congress. The LOC notes it as the "complete workprint with original ending."

Dated August 22, a list of "Additional Shooting to Do" containing shots and scenes intended for the theatrical "happy ending" is dated four days earlier (Aug 18), implying this copy of the workprint was likely made for Howard so he would have a copy of the "true" cut of the film. This is also possibly the cut of the film shown to the second infamous preview audience, if not also the first. However, without a date for either preview, it's impossible to say for certain.

(These are based on my own hastily written handwritten notes, taken at the Library. Notes denoting a cut from a previous workprint has been taken out. Any sequence mentioned with no note should be assumed to be close to, if not identical to, final edit.)
GEFFEN TITLE

OPENING CREDITS

Not yet present

PROLOGUE
Scrolling text added for the first time in Library collection
Font is same as font on "LITTLE SHOP OF" on logo

"LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
Title added
Font on "HORRORS" is same as "LITTLE SHOP OF" before fading to blood

SEYMOUR'S ACCIDENT

AUDREY COMES TO WORK

Audrey walking out of apartment is underscored by "funky" version of "Little Shop of Horrors"
Unsure if "nice boys" line is present. Forgot to track if it had been cut.

"SKID ROW (DOWNTOWN)"
Same as it appears in "John Smith" workprint footage.

MOVE IN NEW DIRECTION?

"DA DOO"

COSTUMERS ARE FLOCKING

AUDREY'S DATE #1

"GROW FOR ME"

WSKID
No Da Doo

A LOW SELF IMAGE

SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN
Monologue restored and underscored

SOME FUN NOW
Possibly same as John Smith workprint footage

A LITTLE BIT ANEMIC

DEPARTMENT STORE

"DENTIST"

AUDREY'S DATE II

Final exit music added in demo form

"FEED ME (GET IT)"

ARTHUR DENTON

ORIN'S DEATH

Closer, though not identical, to final.

TRANSPORTING THE BODY
Includes an ominous "Shang-a-Lang" choir underscore
Close to John Smith, possibly later edit

MORNING AFTER
Same as John Smith?

"SUDDENLY, SEYMOUR"

"SUPPERIME"
More polished edit of leaked workprint cut

"THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT"
Alternate vocals on agents
No Soliloquy
Newspapers inserts have been added

SEYMOUR KRELBORN'S GARDENING TIPS
Same as leaked workprint.

PROPOSAL
Same as workprint

CONFRONTATION

TWO CALLS ONE

Scene underscored by arrangement of "Feed Me (Get It)"

SUPPERTIME II

ATTACK

Alt music / sound fx
Rescue has been cut down to about one shot

AUDREY'S DEATH
"Yes... No." has been cut
Music under Audrey's farewell
"Somewhere That's Green (Reprise)" has been cut entirely. (Goes to death rattle, I believe, right after "In a way, we'll always be together.)

TWO AUDREYS BECOME ONE
Majorly cut down
Music continues under "Suicide"

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE / PATRICK MARTIN
Ledge has been cut down
No second "Look!"
Alt echoes

"MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE"
Helium effect in place
Pods laughing ("Hehehe! Hello!") and mockingly calling out Seymour's name
Pod calls out "Seymour, bye bye!"
Gulping noises

"DON'T FEED THE PLANTS"
Totally cuts "Subsequent, to the events you have just witnessed" as well as the Urchins
Goes straight into "Fortune and fame" and plays under establishing sequence

DEVOURING THE WHOLE HUMAN RACE
Majorly cut down and slashed

THE END!?!?!?!
Pod bursting through screen included
Upon bursting through the screen, Plant exclaims "That's all, folks!"
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Nice work. I would love an extended cut of the film that really takes previous cuts into account -- not slashing scenes entirely as we see in later workprints, but with the pacing and polish that the later cuts suggest.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby JustinHoskie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm

The Little Shop of Horrors | Original Widescreen Presentation | Full Film
In a shocking turn of events, a video came together smoothly without any hitches. Here's Roger Corman film The Little Shop of Horrors, presented with its original theatrical aspect ratio. In most of the film's subsequent re-releases and restorations, it's been presented in an open matte format.

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:I would love an extended cut of the film that really takes previous cuts into account -- not slashing scenes entirely as we see in later workprints, but with the pacing and polish that the later cuts suggest.

In all honesty, I feel like, out of all of the cuts of the movie I've seen with the original ending, the cut that works the best may be 8/22 workprint. The only thing I think was a bit to cut down was Seymour rescuing Audrey (and that may just be because they wanted to see how it worked cut down), but, other than that, everything was actually paced a lot better and it flowed surprisingly well. I'm also beginning to wonder if "Somewhere That's Green (Reprise)" and "Subsequent to the Events" could ever completely work on film without slowing things down, or if they're just a better suited for theatre. My only big problem is the overt cutting of the Urchins at the end. I think, had they had been able to keep the ending, they may have gone back and reworded "Don't Feed the Plants" to be sung by the Urchins instead of an unseen chorus. or at the very least had them re-record the vocals.
JustinHoskie

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 am

With all the crap that we see on movie theaters all the time, I think we need to stop overanalyzing how these scenes, which are objectively wonderful and haunting, would or wouldn't have "worked on film without slowing things down." We've only ever seen them in context in a version of the ending which is overlong, or in low quality. Cutting the death scene, cutting the American flag, cutting the disco, they tried all of these things as experiments but these scenes should absolutely be in the film, and would have been.

I would love to officially reedit Little Shop of Horrors using the original footage, extending it. Same with Superman 2.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Little Shop: Breakdown of late Original Cut of Film

Postby Mr Mushnik » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Someone was kind enough to upload the single version of Dentist!

https://youtu.be/YtoisWwyKFo

I'm digging the alternate, more sinister bassline. Also, a bonus lyric @1:57 from Howard "he's (strictly?)?? a medical mess" (Howard must have really liked the flow of this phrase as he uses "ethical mess" in "Arabian Nights" on Aladdin). I'm dying to know if there are other recordings out there with alternate arrangements like this, though it looks like all the other singles are just the soundtrack versions.

JustinHoskie wrote:"MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE"
Helium effect in place
Pods laughing ("Hehehe! Hello!") and mockingly calling out Seymour's name
Pod calls out "Seymour, bye bye!"

THE END!?!?!?!
Pod bursting through screen included
Upon bursting through the screen, Plant exclaims "That's all, folks!"
[/quote]

oh man I think I want to see this more than I ever did the colorized original ending. Do any of the workprints contain the full version of Mean Green Mother? How's the backing music track compared to the one on the director's cut?
Mr Mushnik

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm

The workprint VHS that leaked cuts out before then and I don't think John Smith bothered with it. The old DVD had it, and I colorized that whole workprint as I recall, noting a couple places where the Blu-Ray Director's Cut couldn't find the footage.

It's wild how much the ending was cut to shreds in the workprint you've listed up there -- the "John Smith" version already being much tighter than the "Director's Cut" but taking out the disco etc.

A proper cut of this material would take into account the tightening and polishing that was done without cutting out the most important bits.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room