Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

A forum for creative people.

Re: Raggedy Ann & Andy Thread

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 am

I've listened to both the demo and "official" versions of the Broadway soundtrack. I can't make a full review yet since I'm still having problems understanding some of the lyrics (and if some lucky soul has a script of the play, that would be so helpful, considering how muffled the audio can get), but I can comment on the songs a bit, and how they compare with the movie's soundtrack.

With the movie, I liked mostly the first half of the songs: "I Look (And What Do I See?)," "No Girl's Toy", "Candy Hearts & Paper Flowers" and "Blue" are my favorites, with "Rag Dolly" (preferably the instrumental from the opening credits) and "Home" as honorable mentions. The rest of the music, I mainly find forgettable or unnecessary. The songs I mentioned are characterization-driven more than anything; the former three tell me more about Ann & Andy's personalities than how they're conveyed in the rest of the film.

The Broadway soundtrack, I find a little more interesting, mainly because of the variety of subject matter and moods. It's a lot more plot-driven, with some character pieces here and there. It feels less filler-y, though there's still some forgettable/annoying tracks in there, and a few downright creepy in a not-good way. I might be biased because I listened to the Demo version first, but I feel closer to the Broadway demos than I do for the official version. Maybe because there's less filler?

Personal favorites: "Something in the Air/So Beautiful/Etc." One of the more dreamy-like songs of the musical. It's pretty and pleasant, and it feels like something that would play during one of Sesame Street's nighttime skits (This is Joe Raposo, after all). I think it'd be a nice and relaxing lullaby.

"Ragdolly." Specifically the demo version, but either would do. I like the lyrics way better than the movie's, and it's definitely a show-stopper, however grim this song is.

"What Did I Lose?/Somewhere." Something that would go completely over the heads of kids (it's way too early to learn about suicide. D:) But it'd be one of those songs that I'd try to preserve if I did a "revision" of the musical. It... got to me, in a way. I find it touching and sweet and emotional, with the type of tugging at the heart-strings that doesn't show nearly often enough in the movie imo.

"Carry On." Just another pleasant little song. I may prefer the demo version though, mainly because it doesn't immediately become jarring by having Marcella's parents fight at the end.

Runner-Ups: "A Little Music," "He/I Come(s) Riding," "Make Believe," "Gingham and Yarn."
Least Favorites: Anything by those stupid bats. Ugh.

Movie!Rag Dolly <<<<<< Broadway!Rag Dolly
Movie!Blue >>>>>> Broadway!Blue. It's just not the same without the Southern twang. Hearing Raggedy Ann sing a few of the lyrics (and eventually duet with the Camel) is a nice touch, though.
Last edited by Shamanic Shaymin on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:47 am

There's lots of memorable songs in the Broadway show.

I've encountered some resistance when asking if the show's script can be published or get out there somehow. One person asked me to leave the matter alone. Shame.

Ivy Austin, who played Raggedy Ann, was interested, in recent years, in doing a radio version of the show, which didn't come together. That would be nice, if it ever happens.

I believe the rights to the book would still be owned by the estate of William Gibson, and the Raposo Group for songs. I don't know the contact info for Gibson. There are also, probably, other parties with a stake in it.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Shamanic Shaymin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 am

That's too bad. I guess I'll have my ears be a little sharper.

A radio version would be interesting. In the teeny tiny chance that someone in town holds auditions for this musical, I'd be happy to take part. Maybe as Marcella's mom or something.
Shamanic Shaymin

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:41 am

Here is the Cinemascope version of Raggedy Ann & Andy, which has not previously been shared on the internet. (The taller 16x9 version was shared instead.) I'll seed this for awhile.
http://orangecow.org/thief/RAGGEDYSCOPE.torrent
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Admonisher » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 am

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:Here is the Cinemascope version of Raggedy Ann & Andy, which has not previously been shared on the internet. (The taller 16x9 version was shared instead.) I'll seed this for awhile.
http://orangecow.org/thief/RAGGEDYSCOPE.torrent

Dang, I missed this announcement! This version is one I really wanted, but the torrent is currently stuck at around 84%. Any hope of a reseed for a few more days? I'd appreciate it tremendously.
Admonisher

Postby Dennis196492 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 am

Is the torrent still up? Are there any seeds? I'm downloading it now since I couldn't before.

Also, what are the plans of restoring/distributing this? Clean up is pretty obvious, but anything else? From what I've seen of the transfer so far it needs some color correction.
Dennis196492

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 pm

I can probably seed.

I was never happy with the 2007 transfer. We've discussed doing an HD transfer and restoration this year, probably in May.

I'd like to have the result distributed officially/legally, though my own contacts are nonexistent. It's ... under discussion.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Admonisher » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for re-seeding, Garrett! I'm very glad to have it in this aspect ratio. To Dennis -- yes, the colors are a bit washed out. Presumably this is something that can be addressed in the planned HD restoration. (Let me also cast my vote for retaining a proper amount of film grain. Too often, particularly with Disney, animation gets scrubbed and degrained within an inch of its life, draining much of the character.) In the meantime, boosting the saturation on my TV helped a lot. Extremely watchable! What a bizarre, fascinating animation experience this is. A real nostalgia trip.
Admonisher

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 am

I never had any issue with the colors, although the transfer is a little bit blue (and full of compression artifacts). Our first run at doing an HD transfer back in August looked pretty similar.
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby Dennis196492 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

If anything the movie itself is pretty poor color-wise, either it's because of the style they were going for or a problem regarding color balance, it has way too much pink and blue, with very little presence of yellow/green. I remember seeing the poster with many scenes from the movie in the Heritage collection, and that had really nice colors, aka The Greedy/Taffy Pit having a bright orange tint, the Loony Land sequence with true blacks and whites, and King Koo-Koo's green hair standing out nicely. If anything color correction should try that approach.
Dennis196492

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room