I'm Finally Doing It! - The Nutcracker Fantasy (1979)

A forum for creative people.

Re: I'm Finally Doing It! - The Nutcracker Fantasy (1979)

Postby ctlw83 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 am

I ran into a bunch of framerate issues and have been waiting for an opportunity to get access to Adobe Premiere. They just reset the free 1 month trial for all users so, hopefully will re-tackle it soon.

On the up-side, I also found 2 CDs which came with my "collector's set" from ebay in 2005 that actually has clean soundtrack audio! That makes the edit a lot easier. I can get rid of the VHS audio completely in some places and at least sync up a better version of the background music with VHS dialogue in other areas. The 2 CDs contain the Japanese background soundtrack and songs, and the "lobby music" that was played during the premiere. The "lobby music" CD has mostly the instrumental tracks from the movie.

Sadly, multiple attempts to separate the dialog track from the rest of the audio proved fruitless. I think it is because the source audio is VHS to DVD and was likely not encoded in a way that kept the channels properly isolated.

There is a 3rd CD which is floating around in my house somewhere that has the English versions of the songs with Christopher Lee singing. I hope I can find this CD because it will, again, limit the amount of VHS audio that needs to be used.

The combination of the Japanese and English versions will be slightly problematic in some areas due to the fact that there are parts that are extended compared to the English versions. Some areas I can simply find foley sounds, however, other areas will require some guess work and some clever thinking on my part. Specifically, I believe the climax of the film will need some work to make the combination of the two effective. I could dive into the Japanese audio and simply fade between the two but, that could make for some strange results as the audio cues are timed differently and such.
ctlw83

Postby Garrett Gilchrist » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey Garrett

I was recently looking into information on Nutcracker Fantasy for my blog on obscured animated features (I am an industry animator in Vancouver and I run this blog on the side) and I found an Orange Cow forum topic where one of your followers was going to edit a HD version of Nutcracker Fantasy with the English dub audio. So far this has not been completed.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=335

Then I found this YouTube fan edit online using a recent remaster/re-edit of the film, but I'm not sure this is the man's edit he was talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TGtpDq0Ekk

Can you forward this to him on the forum? Thanks :)
-Knox Robbins
Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Postby ctlw83 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 am

I don't think it is the original 1979 version but the restored/updated version Sanrio came out with a couple of years back.
ctlw83

Postby ctlw83 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 am

Garrett Gilchrist wrote:
Hey Garrett

I was recently looking into information on Nutcracker Fantasy for my blog on obscured animated features (I am an industry animator in Vancouver and I run this blog on the side) and I found an Orange Cow forum topic where one of your followers was going to edit a HD version of Nutcracker Fantasy with the English dub audio. So far this has not been completed.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=335

Then I found this YouTube fan edit online using a recent remaster/re-edit of the film, but I'm not sure this is the man's edit he was talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TGtpDq0Ekk

Can you forward this to him on the forum? Thanks :)
-Knox Robbins

It looks like this is taking the re-mastered Sanrio version and syncing the english language version as best as possible. That's great but, actually has more missing footage than the original, to the best of my knowledge. Will have to do a full viewing to be sure though.

I don't like the added CD and the color correction contrast is a bit off on the Sanrio restored version.
ctlw83

Postby abolafiaa » Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm

ctlw83 wrote:I don't think it is the original 1979 version but the restored/updated version Sanrio came out with a couple of years back.

No, this is not what you think, This IS the original 1979 version. Read this post mar3o did for blu-ray.com a couple years back to see what I mean.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11268060
abolafiaa

Postby ctlw83 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:01 pm

NICE! Will check it out.
ctlw83

Postby ctlw83 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:51 pm

I will probably end up buying the Blu-Ray of the original version. I did watch the YouTube English Remastered version that was shared.

While I will say that the re-master isn't as bad as I thought overall, there are significant parts missing and re-edited. It also looks like Sanrio decided it would be fun to crank up the contrast during the remaster. From what I've seen of reviews, the edits/cuts are in the remaster itself and not specific to whoever did the remaster english edit on YouTube. The English edit was done very well overall considering the remaster as the source.

However, being that there is a blu-ray source of the original Japanese version, and I am looking to do an extended/full cut of the English version, that will be the best bet for video source.
ctlw83

Postby abolafiaa » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

ctlw83, I don't know if you are going to continue this project or not because Discotek is going to release this film on August 29th on DVD. It will include both the original Japanese language with English subtitles and the English dub. No word on releasing this on Blu-ray yet.

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmedia/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1678734638822290/?type=3
abolafiaa

Postby ctlw83 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I may wait to see if Discotek is doing a blu-ray of the English version. Even so, my goal was to do a combo of the English and Japanese versions. The Japanese version has a few slightly extended scenes compared to the English dub. Might wait on getting the japanese only blu-ray if an English/Japanese combo might be made available. Better source material for audio is always good.

Although, the way it reads is that the English dub will be used as just that, a dub. How that will work with the shorter English audio is a mystery to me, unless they re-mixed it. Maybe I will email them.
ctlw83

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Round Room