Things I Say

A forum for creative people.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Re: Things I Say

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:29 am

I grew up liberal, but very sheltered and middle-class. Bigotry wasn't something I had to think about. I was a writer and comedian, and in retrospect my writings were often about how restrictive gender roles can be. I felt pressure to write male characters in a fratboy way, like "bro is it gay to have feelings?" and punching each other. Which isn't me at all. I was about thirty when I noticed a generational shift. I spent a few years on Tumblr and observed the My Little Pony fandom, and I saw younger people expressing gender in a different way, as a spectrum and with more nuance and empathy. I had a trans friend who I found too difficult for other reasons (controlling and forcing me into situations that were anxiety-inducing and dangerous for me), but it was a crash course in seeing people as people. I also noticed that trans voices were reliably left-wing and progressive, while people from other demographics kept letting me down. So that's what I wanted in my Twitter feed. I'm still learning and thinking about these questions, but I'm grateful to these voices for speaking out.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:45 am

Cartman's Law: Anyone who references "South Park" in an argument has just lost that argument.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:39 am

At least 50% of my creative work over the past 15 years or so never came out publicly for various reasons, but often due to the budget running out halfway, or there just not being time and money to finish. Having to do it all alone, and it becoming way too much for me. Sometimes there was an NDA, or a general agreement not to show the work publicly. I wasn't even working with big companies, but this still happened a lot, with projects stalling after months or years of work. Usually the project was too ambitious and the money wasn't there after awhile.

I wonder what people think I'm doing all day. I assume people just aren't interested. The work I do put out publicly (like art commissions) doesn't get much attention, and is usually such a tiny fraction of what I'm actually doing.

I posted today that I did not receive payment for a big chunk of this year, and only have $7 for food this whole month.

Someone replied saying, you should do creative work for yourself and not worry about money ...

I like to think I'm an extremely talented artist, writer, feature film editor and feature film restorationist.

It's hard to actually get paid for things and not get ripped off.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:34 am

I see a lot of people living in despair lately, including myself. But remember, we can defeat Donald Trump. Most of his power lies in the cursed amulet which he wears around his neck at all times. Once you’ve shattered the amulet, he becomes vulnerable to most ranged attacks and magic spells.

But watch out for Melania, who will now transform into a winged, fire-breathing manticore. She’s deadly but moves in a predictable pattern.

(This walkthrough presumes that you’ve already passed through the other castles and imprisoned the Trumplings.)

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:37 pm

The recession of the 00s never ended. Boomers tell younger people that they're lazy and entitled, when many people under forty including myself face homelessness on a daily basis, and boomers generationally have failed to understand or care about the economic issues that people under forty face.

Politicians have essentially erased two or three generations and shown no interest in "younger people" in my lifetime, and this is pretty typical. While older people overwhelmingly vote for Trump and other people who make things worse for us every day.

Many Boomers that I had to deal with in my life would light their own children on fire just so they could be warm for an hour. So to speak. There is a generational failure, with those over forty now, to realize that the world they helped create is hostile to those under forty now, and that the old rules no longer apply. Rent and college tuition are sky high, and jobs of any kind are hard to come by.

Without diminishing the accomplishments of my parents' generation, the bar was a lot higher for my generation. You had it a lot easier, and we were raised to succeed in a world which doesn't exist anymore, and not allowed to have the same success. It was like abuse on a generational level, where no matter how hard we worked nothing would ever be good enough to earn us any success at all. I've not spoken to any people over forty who actually understand this - not for lack of trying either - and am usually met with dismissal and ridicule for trying to explain it at all. I am a little biased because of the people from my parents' generation who I've actually had to deal with over the years, but even so this is a real generation gap here.

"OK Boomer" is a reaction to someone who will clearly never understand, or care about, what the world is like now for someone under forty. It's impossible at this point to deprogram older people, especially those who've given into right-wing FOX News propaganda, or stereotypes about younger people designed to dehumanize them and make fun of their suffering, which are constant on television and in the media. So rather than get into a fight, people choose to just say "OK Boomer."

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:20 pm

It ruins everything good about the character when you turn She-Hulk into a female Hulk, or even an extension of the Hulk's supporting cast and universe. She is her own thing. She's someone who is trying to do it all -be strong, smart, feminine, lot of different traits in balance.

She-Hulk is the late-80s "modern woman" trying to be all things to all people. Funny and serious, professional and attractive, strong and tough yet feminine and vulnerable, private and a celebrity, and so on. It's the tightrope walk of how much society expects from a woman.

She also works as a coming-out story, because Jennifer Walters is this shy, haunted introvert while She-Hulk is an extrovert, this new self coming out who's ready to take on the world, all the challenges that Jen can't. She-Hulk is a lot of things, but another Hulk isn't it.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm

When film colorization was introduced in 1985, it cost (adjusted for inflation), $4576 per minute. And was ugly flat colors, much worse than we can do today.

I was offered about $15/minute for the same thing ($50 total) using new tech. I asked for about $150 instead ($500).

(Source: New York Times article about It's a Wonderful Life.)

This is a metaphor for how our generation really got screwed when it comes to getting paid for things.

Garrett Gilchrist
Site Admin

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Ana de Armas, have you seen 'em yet?
Oh, but they're so Knives Out
B-B-B-B-Benoit f_ckin Blanc

Marta you're poor and you're pitiful
Old Thrombey was really keen
He wrote a lot of books
His family sucks
And now it's my house, my rules,